Trying to setup dish, need key for charter box pic in thread

Sorn

Original poster
Aug 5, 2015
long beach california

Im in southern california and I am trying to use the pre-existing wiring to setup my dish. I live in a condo housing and I am a owner.

Any tips or advice on how I can get the key to open this box?

Thanks

Attachments

• charterlock.jpg
    charterlock.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 154
Just to tell you this has nothing to do with the operation of this board and really should be posted in the cable thread.
Beyond that, just contact your Condo board, likely it is a public area access not private. If you are not supposed to be using it we can't help you open it. If you are allowed to use the wiring the Condo board will help you.

You need to speak with the property manager(s). Don't get your hopes up as what is in there is community property.

Also, make sure you fully understand any agreements you have with the organization as they may be very restrictive.

Reactions: fred555
Strange question to ask on a Satellite forum.
What are you trying to set a dish up for?
Paid services? FTA? ??

If it is attached to a building I own and the lock prevents me from accessing wiring internal to my house,
I would personally gain access to my internal wiring.

http://www.telecomattorneys.com/commercialrealestate.html

Finally, where MTE owners or managers decide to move a demarcation point to the MPOE, the installation and maintenance of the new demarcation point will be the responsibility of the carrier, but control, including the terms of access, will reside with the MTE owner.

It may be that you own the wiring to do whatever you please?

http://www.kandutsch.com/articles/cable-home-wiring-rules-and-cable-competition

Seems like If the provider does not remove the inside wiring within 7 days of termination,
The ownership of the wiring transfers to the building owner:

"If the [incumbent cable operator] is entitled to remove the cable home wiring, it must then remove the wiring within seven days of the subscriber's decision [not to purchase], under normal operating conditions, or make no subsequent attempt to remove it or restrict its use."3

The effect of the cable home wiring rules is to transfer ownership of the home wiring – the cable wiring on the subscriber's side of the demarcation point – from the incumbent cable company to the sub- scriber who terminates cable service. In other words, home wiring not removed by the incumbent within seven days after the subscriber's voluntary termination of cable service is deemed abandoned to the subscriber. Presumably (depending on the state's abandoned-property laws), when a former cable subscriber moves out of his or her unit without removing the home wiring, that wiring is abandoned and becomes the property of the building owner.

If it was me, I'd change the lock and use the wiring. The previous post seems to be you control the access anyway. Rules were made up to prevent anti- competitive practices.

It has been my experience with Demarc keys that most any key that fits in the lock might work.
Try a screw driver or a file cabinet key or something.

Reactions: old corps
It may be that you own the wiring to do whatever you please?
IFF it were established that the plant served only the TS and the cabinet was installed on their private property. Utility closets are typically community property (even when attached to a single unit) and serve multiple units. The TS needs to find out from the property managers what the deal is. Claiming law that doesn't apply is a losing proposition.

Reactions: fred555 and osu1991
Sorry Sorn if this post rambles but it has been a hectic week and I'm tired:

Yes, does each unit have a cabinet or does a single cabinet serve multiple units would be goog to know. Having a single unit demarc would be the best scenario.

Only if management disallows access to the demarc, after 7 days, no one owns the wiring inside the house but you. Its yours to cut, splice, put in your own distribution box in the garage etc... Unless, there is some covenant the owner unknowingly signed at purchase that disallows certain actions, as harshness mentioned:
Also, make sure you fully understand any agreements you have with the organization as they may be very restrictive.

Now if the house is to be sold, the prospective buyer might not be happy with your modifications even if allowed however.

The TS needs to find out from the property managers what the deal is.
Yes I agree and probably the first course of action, and hope they actually give a correct and lawful answer. Property Managers have been known to say no to things wrongfully. For example, things that are allowed under OTARD rules. In this case you can lawfully tell them to pound sand and do what you want, and there is usually not a single thing they can do about it as far as actual dish install and permission goes provided OTARD is followed..
(if not familiar, OTARD states that an HOA or management cannot prevent you from putting up a dish (up to 1 meter) or OTA antenna etc.. http://www.sbca.com/dish-satellite/SBCA_OTARD_flyer.pdf)

Ask if management has a written OTARD guide. Sometimes these guides may actually give permission to connect to demarcs along with the standard OTARD text, you may get lucky.
I have researched different written OTARD policies from different complexes and some actually specify using the provided dermarc!

Or just ask management for a key if they have one, tell them you need it to install your OTARD permitted dish.

Owner needs to find out all the details, first ask management (research their answers as they may not always be true if rejected), examine all his closing and or HOA documents if it gets that far, then make a decision from there.

How are DirecTV and Dish satellite installs handled? Have a neighbor with these services?
See how the installer tapped into the demarc. Do they just tap into the same demarc?

In any case I hope it all works out in your favor Sorn!
Let us know how it works out.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)