Trying to sign up for Directv... Is it always this hard?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
I signed up for directv since July 5th. I setup an order got confirmation and everything was good for install on Thursday July 12 noon -4pm. Today I get a call that they can't do Thursday any longer, but can actually bump me up to tomorrow July 11 Noon-4pm. Sounds good and they confirm everything again. Hours later I get a call from the auto dial system asking me to schedule my appt. Thought it was odd so I hung up and checked the website; my install is still scheduled for tomorrow. Figured I better call in and cofirm verbally.

Get ahold of a fairly nice person in the scheduling who takes about 30 minutes to confirm that my install tomorrow had been cancelled and my original time is also not possible on Thursday. So I explain that I already took time off on Thursday and switched it to tomorrow and now scheduling is telling me I have to cancel that and request another afternoon off. My boss is gonna tell me to go home until I can make up my mind if I keep it up.

So they come back and tell me we can possibly do it next Saturday the 21st. I ask why such a big difference from original appt. No explanation. I asked don't they have anything sooner as I would dearly love to drop comcast, but dish is looking mighty good with only a 2 day turnaround on installs based on website schedule (I was checking during my 30 minute hold). They come back with "we will email the local installer and see if they can squeeze you in tomorrow afternoon, we'll call you around 11am to let you know"
Now I'm agitated... they act like they are doing me a favor with me having to possibly take time off still tomorrow, but are also generous with possibly only an hour notice before someone could be at my home.

After some back and forth and my ridicule of their scheduling system that is somehow my fault. I ask manager to make a choice... either schedule my install within 2 days of original install of July 12 with enough time so I don't get a half-assed job done. If this can't be accomplished, give me $100 additional credit for my time and Directv is free to install next available time before end of the year or cancel my order.

They cancelled my order/install, but made a point of telling me they wish I could've become part of the directv family.

Sure enough, I have a credit back on my credit card for the initial amount already.

For fun, I went back an hour later and signed back up for same equipment (HR34, 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver), Total Choice Xtra programming and autopay and a referal from a friends account. Credit check no problem this time either(was wondering if I would be flagged for just having cancelled etc) and then I get to the scheduling portion... Guess what day is available. My original install date and time, plus all the days in between except for 2 time slots up to the 21st which I was told were not possible.

I am going to let this order sit out there and see if I get a call and an actual install. I already got my rebate emails and processed those too.

Sounds like your install is a local company that may not be integrated into Directv's scheduling system. If they moved you up to tomorrow that was probably someone locally calling, and Directv may not have shown that change. Then when rescheduling with Directv, they will only see what they have available from the local company days out. Sometimes these local contractors install several different services, and may only provide a limited number of time slots to Directv.

If you try again, and they call to move it up, ask for a direct contact number for the local office in the event you need to change it, take the 800 number out of the equation.

Of course, could also be the person you called that was trying to reschedule the 21st just didn't know what they were doing...

I had all kinds of problems with DirecTV installing an International Dish for a new install. Installers, both Directv and contractors, said their work orders did not include the additional dish even though it was required for the international programming I had also initially ordered. I kept sending them away until DirecTV made the supreme sacrifice and got the order correct. Based on my experience, I can only conclude they are extremely incompetent when it comes to new installations. The upper management clerk and jerk that finally got it straightened out was totally unapologetic regarding the significant inconvenience this caused us.

I recently signed up for DTV and when signing up by phone, the next availible appt was over a week farther out than when signing up online. Install happened yesterday. I told the guy i would not let him leave until I could see 3D on my TV. He said he had never seen 3D work. Fortunately it worked right off with no problems! Loaned him a pair of glasses and he thought it was pretty cool.

Only problem is that he could not get one of the TV's programed to work with the remote.

I had no problems...but I did keep getting an automated call asking me to confirm my appointment, but it would just hang up on me whenever I hit "1" to confirm. I figured it wasn't working because you'd think it would give you some sort of confirmation and not just hang up. Installer showed up though and was lucky to get a good one.

When I first tried getting DirecTV a couple of years ago I ordered online but for some reason it said to call to schedule and appointment. I called to get the appointment schedules and I was told the soonest they could be out there was in ~5 days (IIRC this was on a Thursday and the appointment was for Tuesday). I never hear anything from DirecTV and on Tuesday I call up wondering when the installer was supposed to be there. They tell me my appointment was for a date that was another 2 months away!!! Two months! So I tell them to please schedule me for something a little closer than two months away. I was told that the appointment two months away was the closest date they had. I said F' that and told them to keep their service and I called Dishnetwork and had service up the next day.

But my 2 years is up in August and I'm planning on giving them a call this week well in advance to start scheduling things for when I terminate my service towards the end of August.

Got a call back today from someone at directv apologizing for all the confusion in my original order and scheduling. We discussed my frustration and also my understanding of having to work with local independent installers can be a problem for directv.

In the end, they offerred me 1 year free premiums and an additional $10 off per month the 1st year (on top of my referral discount etc, so $44 off per month the 1st year) if they could schedule my install for the 21st of the month. That was more than I originally half-heartedly threw out in my conversation yesterday. Got an updated email sent reflecting additional discounts for verification.

So I accepted the upgraded offer and have an install scheduled for the 21st. Now we'll just wait and see who shows up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)