Trying to sub In canada.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Regardless of how you come by the equipment, it remains illegal to use it.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have only heard that 1000 times. I appreciate your concern and God forbid Canadians should be allowed to watch the television they want!!

What about the issue with a phone number to sign up with. Can I use a Canadian based phone number or should I simply get a American Sim card?

Thanks

I agree with SatboyZ. Get a MagicJack. The receiver can even phone home with it (at least it works for me).

Thanks for pointing that out. I have only heard that 1000 times. I appreciate your concern and God forbid Canadians should be allowed to watch the television they want!!

Your ire should be directed towards your government, not those who point out the facts.

I recently tried signing up with DirecTV as a Canadian. You do not need to give a SSN, but they will charge you a 300$ setup fee that will be credited to your monthly bill at 5$ a month for 60 months. You also don’t need a landline either as others have mentioned, but a us address is needed. I also used a Canadian based credit card as well. I did have to cancel the order though because they wanted to come and install themselves. I later found out I can simply go to best buy in the US and buy the receivers there and the dish from eBay. My question is can I cross the border with DirecTV receivers and will best buy ask me for proof of address and stuff like that?

i did this, and on my way back i declared it to canadian customs (i only had 1 receiver), the officer asked:

-value?
-am i subscribed?

i said $99 US and no, i am not subscribed...at the time i wasn't subscribed so it was the truth, but if you are subscribed and said "No" to the question, i guess there is no way they can prove that you are subscribed....just dont say "YES".lol

the officer didnt charge tax and duty on the $99US, probably woulda been another 20 or so CDN dollars

What about the issue with a phone number to sign up with. Can I use a Canadian based phone number or should I simply get a American Sim card?

Thanks

use cell phone, they won't care about the area code...and if they do ask, just say you work for a canadian company, its your work blackberry and you stationed working in the US

Nope, they just give you a maximum of 5$ a month back and if you decide to stop your service they give it back to you. I also called the Canadian Border Service Agency and we are allowed to bring back the directv equipment, although 5% duty, 5% GST and 7% PST will be charged. Does best buy ask for proof of address if you want to buy the receivers?/QUOTE]

At Best Buy, you'll need to have your US address on hand because you will be asked to agree on a form that you will activate this equipment within 30 days. The high-tech form is on the touch screen that is used to virtually sign credit card transactions...the cashier will ask for your name, address, and maybe phone number and she'll input this into their system prior to you signing off on the form. The don't ask for ID or anything...just act like this is where you live while you work in the US

so respond:

Your real name
Your US address
Your CDN Cell Phone

Your ire should be directed towards your government, not those who point out the facts.

He doesn't have to repeat what has been flogged to death in this and many other threads. I think its called trolling.

Anyway, Peeekay, good luck in your quest and feel free to PM me with any questions. You are going to love Directv.

What's wrong is people such as peano assuring Canadians that it is somehow acceptable and/or justified to own and use DIRECTV or DISH Network equipment in Canada. To make it worse, they facilitate this breaking of the law by offering advice on how to go about it.

He doesn't have to repeat what has been flogged to death in this and many other threads. I think its called trolling.

Anyway, Peeekay, good luck in your quest and feel free to PM me with any questions. You are going to love Directv.

I may be reading your post incorrectly. Are you saying that I am a troll?

I may be reading your post incorrectly. Are you saying that I am a troll?

Not you. The poster that brought it up and thinks its ok for a corporation to control what Canadians watch so they can control the market (Bell).

Think about it. A Canadian can be prosecuted for watching TV if it is not on the "approved" list.

Not you. The poster that brought it up and thinks its ok for a corporation to control what Canadians watch so they can control the market (Bell).

Think about it. A Canadian can be prosecuted for watching TV if it is not on the "approved" list.

There also seems to be a double standard in Canada. A lot of Restaurants and commercial establishments have long had DishNet and DTV. How can they legally get these services?

I was driving by the Air Canada Centre in Toronto today and noticed they had a DTV Slimline mounted on there....WTF!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Air_Canada_Centre_from_CN_Tower.jpg

illegal or legal, i dont care..dtv and american tv rocks, not to mention the latino channels dtv offers up.

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

its not that hard
NO ONE here is going to help you!

if you guys found this site you should be intelligent enough to come up with a us billing/service address and phone number
let imagination go from there
once setup maybe get online access to directv account online and make changes from there, if needed also maybe setup autopay/paperless billing

the hardest part will be installing the dish yourself imho

should any problems arise after installed your sol or you play csr roulette till you get answer you want

Yes I am not sure anyone up here has the proper meter to point the triple lNB and dish? I am in Vancouver. If someone knows let me know. ;)

I am pretty sure that anyone who calls directv and did a selfinstall and wants to set up a new account and activate that directv will want to come out to the service address.

I am pretty sure that anyone who calls directv and did a selfinstall and wants to set up a new account and activate that directv will want to come out to the service address.

didn't happen to me, and it hasn't happened to the other people I've spoken with that have done the same thing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)