Trying to sub In canada.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It is a British thing; has nothing to do with English usage. The R.C.M.P. refers to police (P.) who have already been mounted (M.). Not only that, Canada (C.) never had royalty (R.).
So the mounter you refer to has already been mounted.......and doesn't like to put up with jokes about the red suite either.

Or it could refer to the mountains they have out west.

Joe

Actually Canada has had and currently STILL has royalty. The Queen of the United Kingdom is also independently the Queen of Canada (and a couple dozen other Commonwealth countries)

I don't think this is true anymore.

I'm willing to bet if you call in and want to setup an account and refuse the credit check based upon not wanting to give out your SSN they'll accommodate you. If they wanted to avoid churn based on poor customers they wouldn't ask for a deposit for some people and would just flat out turn them down, but as another thread here has shown they are indeed charging some people a deposit.

Actually Canada has had and currently STILL has royalty. The Queen of the United Kingdom is also independently the Queen of Canada (and a couple dozen other Commonwealth countries)

Really,

I thought they were independent forever. Canada has a separate seat at the UN and the NHL. The queen still calls shots in Canada? I knew that the yanks wanted to take Canada from England around 1812 and I never read of a Canadian revolution.....Canada still has a queen? Never knew that.

Joe

Really,

I thought they were independent forever. Canada has a separate seat at the UN and the NHL. The queen still calls shots in Canada? I knew that the yanks wanted to take Canada from England around 1812 and I never read of a Canadian revolution.....Canada still has a queen? Never knew that.

Joe

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I'll explain :) Canada (and Australia and NZ and all the other Commonwealth countries) ARE independent from the UK. They all have the same monarch (right now that is Queen Elizabeth) but in separate roles. The Queen of England is not automatically the Queen of Canada. She holds each of those titles independently. Through the rules of heredity they are the same person, but it is not one single title. She doesn't hold one throne, she holds 12 or whatever separate ones. Think of it this way, it's as if one person was governor of every state in the US at once but every state retained their separate legislatures, governments, constitutions, etc.

It is a British thing; has nothing to do with English usage. The R.C.M.P. refers to police (P.) who have already been mounted (M.). Not only that, Canada (C.) never had royalty (R.).
So the mounter you refer to has already been mounted.......and doesn't like to put up with jokes about the red suite either.

Or it could refer to the mountains they have out west.

Joe

It was a joke, not a serious question.

- call with skype
- you don't need landline
- you don't need a US phone number, just give your cell phone number,...if questioned, say you work in the US for a Canadian company, they hooked you up with a blackberry
- you need a US address, either friend, family...etc...use your imagination..just as long as the installer doesn't come to your address to install anything.

- call with skype
- you don't need landline
- you don't need a US phone number, just give your cell phone number,...if questioned, say you work in the US for a Canadian company, they hooked you up with a blackberry
- you need a US address, either friend, family...etc...use your imagination..just as long as the installer doesn't come to your address to install anything.

They require a US Credit Card now and a SSN now so that is no longer working.

NO company can force you to give your SSN.
BUT, he might have to pay an extra "fee" for NOT giving his SSN, but he'll ultimately get service.

Is any company required to provide their service if you don't give your SSN?

Last edited:
They require a US Credit Card now and a SSN now so that is no longer working.

Well, if you don't have these creds, we can't allow you to watch anyway. Its a Home Land Security ;) issue. Down here we're in the mist of getting National Health Care and the plan is too sensitive to let anything dribble across the border where more leftist ideas may creep in (like no pay health care). Too much secret stuff on the tube now. Eh? Try again in about 10 years when this matter is settled.

Is any company required to provide their service if you don't give your SSN?

It's always been my understanding they CANNOT deny you service, but they do NOT have to give you "promos" that require it, OR they can ask for some sort of "security deposit" - which I know D* does offer for folks that do not want to give it.

I recently tried signing up with DirecTV as a Canadian. You do not need to give a SSN, but they will charge you a 300$ setup fee that will be credited to your monthly bill at 5$ a month for 60 months. You also don’t need a landline either as others have mentioned, but a us address is needed. I also used a Canadian based credit card as well. I did have to cancel the order though because they wanted to come and install themselves. I later found out I can simply go to best buy in the US and buy the receivers there and the dish from eBay. My question is can I cross the border with DirecTV receivers and will best buy ask me for proof of address and stuff like that?

Nope, they just give you a maximum of 5$ a month back and if you decide to stop your service they give it back to you. I also called the Canadian Border Service Agency and we are allowed to bring back the directv equipment, although 5% duty, 5% GST and 7% PST will be charged. Does best buy ask for proof of address if you want to buy the receivers?

Buy a NEW receiver and dish on ebay. Find a good seller with 100% feedback that will ship to Canada.

Or, if you really want to drive across, it is completely legal to import Directv and Dish Network equipment into Canada.

What about the issue with a phone number to sign up with. Can I use a Canadian based phone number or should I simply get a American Sim card?

Thanks

Magic Jack is my friend....

Vonage and Skype have crazy prices for virtual numbers. Walmart phone cards no longer call US 1-800 numbers. Magic Jack works wonders.

BTW there is a Canadian company selling them for $40 CDN not US from Hamilton.

Steve

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)