Tubing Cutter for Coax

elder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Not wanting to invest in a coax stripping tool for what is hopefully a one time task, I decided to improvise. In my plumbing tools I found a small tubing cutter with a rotary wheel. To get that 5" coax to connect my UVSJ diplexer to my amplifier and other made to length cables I first cut them to length with any cutter, then carefully cut through the covering, shield and sheath as needed with the tubing cutter.

I really enjoy my strippers!:D ............ Seriously though you never know when you will need to replace a connector or run a new cable. The compression tool and stripper sure makes neat and quick work of things. I am not an installer and will concede to the fact that I am a tool nut but the proper tool can make life a lot easier and cheaper. I am amazed by people who own their own home, lawn equipment, vehicles etc. etc. and don't even have the first wrench, ladder or shovel. I will admit though on many occasions I have had to make do with what I had on hand at the time.

Last edited:
I have too many tools, so I occasionally look for a secondary use for one. I only work on cables when installing a sat dish or doing a DTV transition. I use screw on connectors rather than crimp.