Tues night windstorm

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
I should've had that little 5' dish disassembled, pretty good winds came through Tuesday night. It's seriously ____ now I guess.

"Something happens and I'm head over heels"
Tears For Fears

Attachments

• IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0223.JPG
    682.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0225.JPG
    IMG_0225.JPG
    386 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Sad to see that cute dish in such shape.

We had the wind up here also. Power has been out since yesterday and the power company says it may be Sunday before it is back on.

A co-worker loaned me a generator so it makes it nice having TV and the computer back up.

Take care

That was the least that could've happened vestal>miraculously the power didn't even go out here. None of my dishes on poles were damaged, very fortunate there. Hope you get your service back soon!

For us here, it was the Wednesday (night and day) windstorm. Wind speeds were peaking 60 MPH at Wilmington Ohio and 55 MPH at the airport.

Turbosat

I have some damage too, my World Direct dish (was pointed at 123W) was uprooted with the pole and fell on its back ( think it is salvageable) . My 74W dish is out of alignment, as well as the 103W.

Supposed to to a balmy 38 tomorrow and might be a good time to take of it. Right now it is a comfy 18 degrees...

Guess I'll have to do some metal-working when the weather is warmer. Not using the dish for anything right now anyway, so it should've been taken off the ring and stored. That's my oldest dish so I'll keep it around for something.

We had a bad wind storm Tuesday night too in Western, PA. Some of our dishes were really shaking bad, but fortunately they survived the storm. I want to add extra support to them before the next storm arrives.

I'm sorry that you weren't as fortunate and hope you get it fixed soon.

Sorry to hear about that.

Is there some lesson to be learned, or knowledge to be gained for guidance for the future?

Sure, the dish could be taken down when there is an expectation of bad weather. What else?

How windy was it?

Sorry to hear about that.

Is there some lesson to be learned, or knowledge to be gained for guidance for the future?

Sure, the dish could be taken down when there is an expectation of bad weather. What else?

How windy was it?

In Southern California and Baja we also had some very fierce wind gusts monday evening (90 km/hr for something like 3 hours in some parts and above 45 km/hr for more than 12 straight hours :s), we hadn't experience something like it since 1994 when a hurricane penetrated the California Gulf (or Sea of Cortéz) and brought us nothing but headaches.

Since then i always had trees flanking my antennae, one big sturdy tree on the west, and one big sturdy tree in the east... but since we had not experienced this kind of winds since 15 years ago, i decided to trim them... OH NOOO, ERROR!! hahahaha the wind knocked down two of my offset dishes, the wind destroyed a couple of my neighboors roof and pieces of wood flew directly to one of my prime focus dishes, nothing bad happened but i tought it was going to destroy my LNBF, the power went out for more than 12 hours, i ended up with only a broken window, two offset dented, two trees were brought down by the wind :(.

What did i learnt? never again i'll trim my trees in this time of the year!

I felt secure doing it because i know big storms hit the California coast every 20 to 25 years, well... MAJOR storms, the last one was in 1994 with a major event in 1996, the one before that was in 1977, the one before it was in the 1950's with one in the mid 1960's... so even if we have at least one or two years before it hits us, there's always the possibility that one unexpected event may happen.

I should've known better, i was monitoring the NOAA data, doing calculations about wind speed and it was clear it would hit us but i tought we were safe :p.

Cheers

M.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts