Tulsa and OKC Dish customers could once again lose the Griffin stations.

Dish could certainly do better with OTA support, and they get disparaged for not using PSIP that is available, but they still do more than any other of the major providers already. What other provider includes OTA support as part of their standard equipment? DTV no longer does. Comcast doesn't AFAIK. Any other cable companies do?

Directv doesn't have an OTA add-on box for receivers anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: jamesjimcie
But IMO, that issue is purely on Dish. Even if they aren't allowed to send the guide data because they're in dispute (doubtful), the stations send guide data OTA (called PSIP). The information is IN YOUR RECEIVER. Dish refuses to decode it. Dish wants to hamper their customers on one hand (by not using PSIP), but say they're "looking out for the customers" when negotiating. Granted, PSIP won't have 7 days worth of data, but even if it's 6 hours, your DVR settings would still work.

For sure i could be WRONG about this. I recall the last time we didn't get guide we were told (or someone posted it) that information was property of the TV station. After we had lost the station for quite some time we did get the guide back. I really don't know who is screwing us but probably is both of THEM. I mean DISH was able to post on the guide Removed by CBS. DISH lost a lot of customers the last time. I think there was about 45 channels DISH lost.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
“Dish dropped News On 6. Find out how to help.”
Here is how to help. “Don’t do anything this station says”, and Congress and the FCC need to be contacted. This is a severe inconvenience for consumers.
These programs are distributed free over the public airwaves and they want us to pay. It is a shame that this broadcaster wants us to suffer for their selfish ambition, forcing us to forgo the convenience of having their channel on Dish, and having to use an antenna to get their free station. Are this station’s demands serving the public interest? I’ll tell you the answer. No. If I were an educator having to rely on a local television station to get the word out about a school cancellation due to the weather, I wouldn't use this broadcaster's stations. This station's viewers probably use cable.

For sure i could be WRONG about this. I recall the last time we didn't get guide we were told (or someone posted it) that information was property of the TV station. After we had lost the station for quite some time we did get the guide back. I really don't know who is screwing us but probably is both of THEM. I mean DISH was able to post on the guide Removed by CBS. DISH lost a lot of customers the last time. I think there was about 45 channels DISH lost.
I honestly don't know who "owns" the data coming from TitanTV (among others). My argument is broadcasters put guide data in the OTA signal (PSIP). That guide data is decoded by EVERY TV manufacturer. I have a hard time believing TV manufacturers are paying local broadcasters for the rights to display the guide data. Dish should be able to do the same for those that can get an OTA signal. IMO, they're CHOOSING not to in order to keep customers upset. In their words "looking out for the customers".

I've heard some crazy excuses on here (not just in this thread)... "It would take too much money to program the receivers to decode PSIP." Yea, it must really take a lot of time and effort since EVERY TV manufacturer has figured out how to do it and implemented it. "It would conflict with satellite delivered guide data." I haven't taken any programming classes since college, but a simple "If there's satellite provided guide data, use that. Else use OTA guide data, else say no guide data" statement should be pretty easy to program. Oh, and the ever popular "Stations only put up hours of guide data, not days". Heck, even 3 hours of data is better than none. It still allows your DVR to function.

I've heard some crazy excuses on here (not just in this thread)... "It would take too much money to program the receivers to decode PSIP." Yea, it must really take a lot of time and effort since EVERY TV manufacturer has figured out how to do it and implemented it. "It would conflict with satellite delivered guide data." I haven't taken any programming classes since college, but a simple "If there's satellite provided guide data, use that. Else use OTA guide data, else say no guide data" statement should be pretty easy to program.
Yeah, but this is Dish we are talking about. If they did try to program and implement that, they would likely end up breaking something else in the process. There are already OTA stations, in some markets, that used to have satellite-delivered guide data, and now no longer do. (I am not talking about stations in a dispute. There are stations that Dish still carries, and they still managed to screw up the satellite-delivered guide data for the OTA channel.)

Saw an article this morning that said Griffin asked Dish to restore the stations (temporarily) due to the potential ice storm. This is further proof (for anyone unconvinced) that it isn't Dish removing the feeds, it's the nets. Makes me even more convinced that Dish is doing the right thing by stonewalling these station owners, although it IS annoying beyond belief every time there is a dispute.

I was out driving in Tulsa running some errands and I saw a billboard that said, "Dish Removed News On 6, Call Dish And Ask For A Refund". Us poor consumers.

as of this afternoon, News9 is still on dish but, no guide data. Im thinking News 9 really really doesnt want to deal with another plug pulling and are working on a deal. I wonder if Dish will try to pull the same card DTV did and choose not to air KSBI 52 in HD and pay less...if Griffin will even offer it again.

Saw an article this morning that said Griffin asked Dish to restore the stations (temporarily) due to the potential ice storm. This is further proof (for anyone unconvinced) that it isn't Dish removing the feeds, it's the nets. Makes me even more convinced that Dish is doing the right thing by stonewalling these station owners, although it IS annoying beyond belief every time there is a dispute.

as of this afternoon, News9 is still on dish but, no guide data. Im thinking News 9 really really doesnt want to deal with another plug pulling and are working on a deal. I wonder if Dish will try to pull the same card DTV did and choose not to air KSBI 52 in HD and pay less...if Griffin will even offer it again.
I guess I'm a little slow. I pressed info from the guide and saw the message "Due to winter storms in Oklahoma, DISH and Griffin Licensing have agreed to temporarily restore CBS 6 KOTV.". As stated there is no program information, but the channel is there. the only thing is, I'm not aware of anymore winter storms.

I guess I'm a little slow. I pressed info from the guide and saw the message "Due to winter storms in Oklahoma, DISH and Griffin Licensing have agreed to temporarily restore CBS 6 KOTV.". As stated there is no program information, but the channel is there. the only thing is, I'm not aware of anymore winter storms.
My guess is News 9 wanted the ratings for the storm coverage(gave dish its programming for free) and Dish said a minimum of 5-7 days is required to put up and take down a station. Hence no news about this nor is there any guide data.

What a crock of! Can Dish sue them for that?
For what? From the TECHNICAL standpoint, Dish does remove the channels. Dish employees actually have hit the button/throw the switch to turn off/on a channel. Granted, they're doing it on orders from the local, but I consider it a true statement (although decidedly "spin").

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)