Tulsa channel 2 local news now in HD!!

RadCPUman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
I was supprised to find channel 2 is broadcasting local news in HD. Looks great.

thanks for the heads up - i know Channel 6 installed the Hi-Def cameras a few months ago - but they have not yet moved over to hi-def broadcasting ... will be sure to check out channel 2 tomorrow ... (they have been pushing Hi-def over "rabbit ears" for the past month or so.)

:)

Is it really in HD? While it is widescreen, the picture quality is so low I couldn't tell the difference between the SD feed and the HD feed (other then format). I'm wondering if they are just cropping an SD signal to a 16:9 format and sending it out over their HD feed? Even the "remote" shots are in 16:9 format and it is rare to have a "remote" HD camera, even the national morning and evening news that are in HD don't typically use HD cameras for remote shots.

I talked to the Engineer at channel 2 today. I mentioned the picture on the Anchor feed was kind of soft. He said they are still working out the details. That why they didn't make any advance promotion of the switch over. According to there website, they are full 1080. (which should mean 1080p, but I think it is just 1080i)

Aside from the soft anchor camera picture, I thought the graphics and stuff were great. Weather graphics were awesome!

I've heard that channel 6 is building a new facility that won't be done for another year or so and they won't be able to go HD until the new control room is done.

1080P is not part of the OTA ATSC standard it is 1080i and then it loses some quality because of the stupid weather plus channel on 2.2 that takes some of that bandwidth. Some of the field shots were a little grainy watching the 6pm newscast right now, but the studio shots look very good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts