Tune in 27.700 MHz, SSTV CB!

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Just out of curiosity to see what SSTV CB activity is like on so called free band on 27.700 MHz.

Seems more diversity and fresh new pictures compared on 20 and 10 meter SSTV.

Some ham guys keep sending same pictures over and over, gets tiring to say at least.

It's a shame SSTV not legal on U.S. 11 meter band on legal frequency instead of rouge freehand frequency ranges covering from 27.405 to 28.000 MHz.

Some European countries allow CB SSTV and some other not.

I also noticed ham Tech, class are not allow to use above 28.5 to 29.7 MHz, making access to SSTV calling freq, 28.680 MHz impossible to TX but RX them is okay.:(

Only General and higher can access to 28.500 up to 29.7 can TX legally.

Now of course you can use TX SSTV on 6 meter and shorter wavelength for Tech, class.

Be aware TXing SSTV on 27.700 is not legal in USA!!

But receiving SSTV on 27.700 MHz is fine as long you don't TX.:):hatsoff

I also noticed ham Tech, class are not allow to use above 28.5 to 29.7 MHz, making access to SSTV calling freq, 28.680 MHz impossible to TX but RX them is okay.:(
If one wants to access that part of the band badly enough....upgrade to General. If you can pass a tech test you can pass a General test. It doesn't get really hard till Amateur Extra. Even then you just have to memorize questions and answers.

It is also illegal to drive a car without a license or if you have one why can't you drive a semi with same license. I don't understand the problem here.

There were debates whether FCC should had open up the whole 10 Meter ham band to Technicians class, due to a similarity to 6 Meter band plans.

Unfortunately FCC chose smaller portions of 10 Meter for Technicians.

It's been held up few years now to revisit this issue, since FCC bureaucracy is pretty bad nowdays, not true radio engineer are here, just lawyers and politic.

Sadly to say at least... :rolleyes: :hatsoff