Tuner 3 - Lost Signal - New Hopper Install.

traustic

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Texas
I just had the hopper installed from a dish authorized technician about four hours ago. I have called about three times over the last four hours and my call was finally returned. The third tuner will not work no matter what. I called up dish and they had him call me back. He stated you can only use two tuners with the hopper if you do not have a Joey. I know this is factually false. He also told me to wait a day or two for it to start working. I have reset the unit and done dish point as well as check switch. Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 work fine with a signal of 56 (seems low but not sure of the normal signal). The third tuner says lost signal 0% on the meter.

I have been researching and most people point to issues with cables or connectors. Then I saw something about nodes.

The installer didn't install a node. I have a cable from my dish to my hopper with only two breaks in the line. One at a grounding block and one at wallplate.

I do not have any joeys but wanted the hopper for the other features. Shouldn't the technician install a node to split the signal then the switch in the unit itself splits it again?

How should I handle this?

If there really is no node between the dish and the hopper, then you will only be able to use 2 tuners on the hopper. There should be 2 lines coming from the dish, going into a solo node (you can take out the ground block and put the solo node in its place), and then 1 line from the host port to the hopper and the client port terminated with a 75 ohm terminator to avoid any RF interference/leakage.

there needs to be some node... either a solo node for a single hopper install or a duo node for a double hopper install. Since you have only 1 hopper and zero joeys, then you would absolutely 100% require a solo node for proper functioning.

Message DIRT with this info and they'll get it straightened out...

On the bottom of the main forum page, you'll see the usernames in red with @DISH Network at the end. Those are official reps from Dish that are active on the forum right now. Just send them a private message with your account or phone number.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php (scroll down to the bottom)

In this type of situation I would call dish network back tell them number one the idiot didn't install the node (trying to save cash) and you want someone else to come correct the issue (which creates a chargeback) good installers always make sure you are perfectly happy before they leave.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks guys. The technician just called and is coming back by the put the node where the grounding block is used. Seems like a nice guy but he has only been doing it 3 weeks. He has some promise of learning the ropes.

I'm familiar with the node after reading the pdf so I can supervise it is done correctly.

Tech showed up again but didn't have a node to install. He said he could come by tomorrow but I was going to be unavailable. I told him just drop off a node tonight and I'll install it. I install vsat equipment pretty much every week so it was no big deal. I do not work for directv or dish but my training for a data transmitting vsat makes satellite television look like childsplay.

He called up another tech to drop off a node. An hour later. A tech came by and dropped off the part and explained how to install it. I installed the node and tested the switch again. Its working perfectly. While thtech was a nice guy and very courteous, he should have had the neccessary parts for an install. We all have rough days so I figure I could cut him some slack.

tapinsharon said:
I am set up to upgrade to the Hopper in two weeks. Are there still a lot of quality problems with the Hopper such that I should wait? Nervous....

No you'll be fine. Cases like this are 1 in 1000. My installer was very competent and I have had no major issues with my setup. I even installed a third Hopper to make it even better!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I've only been using my hopper for a few hours but no issues since the installation has been properly completed. I can record three channels at once and the sling works perfect on home network and 4g. I'm impressed but need more time to validate my experience thusfar. For 35 a month it's a steal.

tapinsharon said:
I am set up to upgrade to the Hopper in two weeks. Are there still a lot of quality problems with the Hopper such that I should wait? Nervous....

Don't be nervous, the hopper is as stable a receiver has ever been for dish. The ongoing support and regular updates keep the issues down. With ota being available"in time"also, I see no real reason to wait any longer.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

This why when mine was installed I got the diagram from you guys. Mine was for three hoppers though and they had no idea how to do it. They wanted to put up another dish and I said do it exactly like the diagram say's and I had to babysit no one touch's my satellite installation without my watching them, otherwise all hell breaks loose. Especially on the old system not so much on the hoppers because they are all straight runs without mirrors except one. But you have to keep on top of these guys and know more about your house and installation then they do to make sure they don't come and screw something up. I realize some are professionals but a lot of them are under trained or new, there is a quick turn around in the satellite game for some reason for installers.

lease two and then buy the third was what most people were doing, but then keckge claimed in a follow up post that there was some option to lease a third for $99. no idea if that was verified or not by anyone else since some CSRs will give out wrong info....

In the end, i think he bought the third one.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/289188-Before-I-call-them-and-make-a-fool-of-myself
"Turns out you don't have to buy the third one its 99.00 to lease it."
........huh......
:confused:

I was just wondering, everyone I have read about or communicated with bought the third. It seems that is not the case, I'll be contacting a Dirt member. :)

I had to buy my third one for 349.99 or 369.99 it was expensive they didn't let me lease a third one at all I tried everything to do that. Wait found the thread I was misinformed by CSR I did have to buy my 3rd one. I went thru hell to get the exact system that I wanted. In the end I did get it and it was worth it, but I was ready to pull my hair out and cry and took hours on the phone executive resolution. Even DIRT wasn't able to do my upgrade.

Last edited:
lease two and then buy the third was what most people were doing, but then keckge claimed in a follow up post that there was some option to lease a third for $99. no idea if that was verified or not by anyone else since some CSRs will give out wrong info....

In the end, i think he bought the third one.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/289188-Before-I-call-them-and-make-a-fool-of-myself

Thank you so much for pointing out the fact I should actually go back and close out a thread with what actually happened. I find that irritating when other people do it and here I do the same thing myself. So it now has an answer.

Last edited:
Damn...! I thought I had an example of a 3rd Hopper leased. Thanks for clearing this up before I made a deal out of nothing with Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)