Tuner 3 lost signal

jrat69

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
Southern Indiana
I was having some work done on the house and they accidentally cut 2 of the 3 coax lines going into the house, They were spliced back together, and all seemed well. Now I notice both hoppers show lost signal on Tuner 3, Is this just a bad coax splice? If so what is the best way to check the coax? I assume the receivers should be unplugged before disconnecting the connections. It is getting annoying to have programs scheduled to record, and they try to record on tuner 3 and fail.

Have you tried unplugging the receivers and plugging them back in. You could also run a switch check and see what the results are.

Thanks, yes I have turned off both Hoppers & Joey's, that didn't make any difference. I am planning on replacing the coax from the dish all the way into the house, as soon as the painter gets done.

On my initial hopper install, tuner 3 would not get any signal at all, one and two were fine. I turns out that the culprit was a corroded coax at the dish. From what I understand, tuner 3 uses the higher frequencies and if the coax is compromised it is the first one to go out. So you should be good with a new un-spliced cable.

When you spliced, did you use the new Blue 3ghz barrel connectors? If the barrel you used is white or clear then that's your problem. I also hope when you spliced you used waterproof compression fittings.

How does one "accidentally" cut two of three coax lines????

It actually depends on if the damage is before or after the node. Before, you have only 2 tuners per line, after the node, you have 3 tuners per host line. If tuner 3 is missing on 2 hoppers, I would point to one of your lines before the hopper being the issue. Either the Splice, connector at dish or node.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)