Tuner boxes and traveling

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Doxiedoglover

Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
kennewick wa
Hi all!

we travel in our rv and have a hd tuner in the living room using dish type number 2 on the list and multi switch per direct tv. We get a signal and all is well. The dish has 3 lnb and we run a second line to a hd dvr box in the bedroom and hence the problem begins. Btw-both are connected via HDMI. Anyway, error 771A is always the error code in the bedroom. Changing the cords changes nothingm problem stilll exists. I unhooked the living room tuner and ran codes to the bedroom tuner just to see and I keep getting the error. I am stumped. Setting is to hdmi. Oh, also, on the second tuner I can see the signal just fine for TUNER 1, but choose tuner 2 and nada. On our last trip and about a zillion tries I finally picked up one satellite on tuner 2. I just don't get it. Anyone?? Thanks in advance :) One more thing, the dish isn't a hd dish as far as I know, but should that really matter?

How are you splitting off to run the second box? Do you have two cables running from the dish to the (bedroom) DVR? If this is an older dish (assuming it is since you say it's not for HD), it is not capable of single wire (SWiM) functionality. If this is the dish I think it is, it should have 4 or 6 cables coming off the LNB to a multiswitch on the back of the dish, then two cables going from the multiswitch to the DVR and one cable going from the multiswitch to the bedroom. If it is a phase 3 dish, the multiswitch is built into the LNB and all three cables should go directly to the LNB. No splitters can be used in any case.

The only way to have one wire and be able to use splitters is to buy a Slimline 3 SWiM dish, which will also be HD capable.

Last edited:
Doxiedoglover,

First let me say that having an HDMI connection to your receivers has nothing to do with the problems you describe. Everything you mention, and error code 771A indicates that the second receiver cannot get an acceptable signal. This means you have a bad connection or poor wiring to the second receiver.

I think you need to give a clearer picture of exactly what components are in your setup. You say your dish has 3 lnbs yet you say you have a standard round dish. This appears inconsistent. Is your RV dish mounted on your rig? And if so, is it a dome or dish setup? Or do you pole-mount your dish (like I do) next to your RV? (The reason I ask is that most RV dishes are just a single lnb affair yet you mention a 3 lnb head.)

Next, how many connectors are there on your lnb? If there is only one you apparently have a SWM head. If there are 4 you have a standard 3 head lnb. This all is very important since it defines how you need to make subsequent connections to your receivers.

Third, depending on the age of your RV, you may likely have RG59 wire which is fine for cable and rf signals, but not adequate for satellite frequencies. You may want to make a test with RG6 wire just to be sure.

But, please give a clearer understanding of your setup so we can help you through this.

Bob

I don't see anywhere that the OP stated they had a round dish. They just said it has 3LNB's and to their knowledge is not HD. To me that says Phase 2 or 3..

JerseyMatt,
You are right. My bad. Not sure you find too many Phase 2 or 3's on RVs. I made an assumption that may not be true. It is still very confusing what setup the OP has in this situation.

I don't see anywhere that the OP stated they had a round dish. They just said it has 3LNB's and to their knowledge is not HD. To me that says Phase 2 or 3..

JerseyMatt,
You are right. My bad. Not sure you find too many Phase 2 or 3's on RVs. I made an assumption that may not be true. It is still very confusing what setup the OP has in this situation.

I think we need more accurate info and the sub may or may not be able to provide ...

The Dish being used is the first thing needed , chances are he's told us all he knows, the RV rigs probably don't sey the same as we are use to seeing.

There are no HD D* dishes out there as of yet that are mounted on the roofs, nothing out there that gets the 99 and 103, for DISH it's different because of the Sat that thier HD comes off of.

What MODEL Recvr(s) is he using as well in the RV

I think we need more accurate info and the sub may or may not be able to provide ...

The Dish being used is the first thing needed , chances are he's told us all he knows, the RV rigs probably don't sey the same as we are use to seeing.

There are no HD D* dishes out there as of yet that are mounted on the roofs, nothing out there that gets the 99 and 103, for DISH it's different because of the Sat that thier HD comes off of.

What MODEL Recvr(s) is he using as well in the RV

Sounds about right. I have an RV kit and it's a SD not HD dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts