tuner boxes

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
I use magnavox tuner box it does fairly well with picking up the local tv stations. Has anyone else use the same tuner box and had better results or a different tuner box?

Dan Rose

What is the model number? How good is your reception if you are asking if some one is getting better results? Where exactly are you located Northeast Indiana covers a lot of territory if you are trying to compare results.

Model number TB100MW9. I live 40 miles north of fort wayne indiana using antennacraft U-4000 with no booster 3'of RG6. I get about 50% signal strength.

Dan Rose

I've got a magnavox converter box here. dont know the model # but the signal strength meter on it (in my opinion) is really poor. Takes forever for it to show the signal then it starts at 20..then up to 35 and maybe up to 60. I'm 29 miles away from the towers in Minneapolis

I've used numerous boxes and honestly 2 favorites are the DTVPal (have 2 of them) and the Zenith DTT901. The DTVPal has a very sensitive tuner but the Zenith picks up and keeps stable the lower signal stations. I've got a distant station I pick up (72 miles away) and the Zenith works great keeping the signal

Others I've used....RCA (junk), DTVPal DVR (2 tuner recorder and is truly HD)

Are you just looking to replace the receiver or just looking for other options?

I have had the same problems with Magnavox tuner box. WANE TV has the strongest signal in the Fort Wayne area but struggles coming in some time. Then I could pick up WSBT from South Bend with ease. Does anyone have tuner boxes that work really well compare to the Magnavox? Also another thing the Magnavox tuner box does not have buttons on the front so if you lose your remote your out of luck.

Dan Rose

very few of the converter boxes have buttons on the unit

If you want to upgrade either the Zenith or the DTVPal would be an upgrade in my opinion

While the Magnavox box certainly has it's shortcomings (the remote is weird), it's reception is just as good as any of the other converter boxes I have tried. (Zenith, Insignia, Channel Master, & Tivax) While the signal meter is slow to initially come up, it isn't too bad IMO.

You may need a pre-amp if one or more of your stations are unreliable.

From personal experience I would rate converter boxes this way!!
DTV PAL PLUS
DTV PAL
Zenith & Insignia both made by LG.
as my top choices with
RCA
the bottom of the list.
There are so many out there that I have only sampled a small part, I wish Samsung made a converter box they seem to make good tuners in TVs and satellite receivers.

I picked up a Magnavox tuner at a yard sale for $5 and it has a surprisingly good picture as well as rock stable on the channels it can get. The downside is it is annoyingly featureless, weak remote, and does not tune weak channels that my other boxes can get.

I own several tuners and they all have undesireable features but the Channel Master CM-7000 is still the best one followed by the Zenith 900/901 boxes. I have warmed up to the Digital Stream boxes from Radio Shack and would recommend them but not at the current price of $60. I picked up one this summer new in box for $12 at a yard sale. :cool: I keep finding people who bought them with the government coupon even though they always had cable.

I used to live in the Fort Wayne area and I remember that many people up where you are near Angola use a yagi antenna because all the stations are in a small area on the north side of Fort Wayne. That antenna you have should work fine but you may need to get it a little higher off the ground.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)