Tuners on HD10-250

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Girevik

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
Columbus, OH
I've got a really stupid question. I know the HD10-250 has 2 OTA tuners. Would I need 2 antennas to utilize them, or do both pull from the same source?

One antenna lead is all that you need for over the air, there's an internal splitter in the HR10-250. So in total you need three, two for D* from the dish and one for OTA.

So will it be a splitter coming out of the dish, or what? I'm still debating whether to buy, and if I do I may go do D* first and get the TiVo later. I'm assuming it's no harder to install than a stand alone TiVo. Is that right?

I'm also assuming that won't cost the $5 for the extra "room".

Sorry, misread your question. Yes you need two antennas, a phase III dish for the DirecTV channels and a regular over the air antenna for over the air. I'd recommend having D* when you get it since the over the air program guide comes via the D* advanced program guide. As for the installation, no harder then a regular D* Tivo except for the need for the over the air antenna. You can diplex the over the air antenna with the DBS dish to save a cable feed into the house (need 2 vs. 3) if that helps.

rad said:
You can diplex the over the air antenna with the DBS dish to save a cable feed into the house (need 2 vs. 3) if that helps.

I heard that whistle as it flew by over my head....

I think I got the main answer I wanted though - I'll just need one OTA antenna (I'm using a set-top rabbit-ears type antenna) plus whatever for the D*

I'll have D* when I get the TiVo, but I may not get the TiVo at the same time (I may way a month or two after getting D* before getting theTiVo - probably not, knowing me, but maybe).

Thanks for your help.

You can think of a diplexor as a signal combiner and splitter. You have two of them, one outside for the dish and OTA antenna that combine the two signals over one cable then another one at the Tivo that splits the signals back out. They are not your normal antenna/cable splitters so don't try to use them.

Okay - that's kind of what I guessed. I don't have an outdoor antenna, though, so that wouldn't be applicable to me.

I love the guys here but they can make a easy question seem like a difficult one. Sorry, but hey its true.

Anyway, the HD Tivo has 1 OTA ant. in and the TiVo does the dual OTA tuning thing.

So all you'll need is the one coax connector from your bunny ears to your OTA input on the HDTiVo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)