Tuning BUD for Ku

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gpat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Got another Ku LNB(Thanks George) to test and tune with.
Ive tried the X4-G4,X0-G0,T7-L7 with no luck.
What is the strongest Ku signal I can get so I can tune the dish?
Im getting 99 on the C band side so it cant be that far off.
I havent even begun to try the CS6100 yet .... I wont until Im sure theres a good signal.
I dont get a lock on the Ku but do on the C band .
Ku signal is setting at 10 on every sat Ive tried.
Im sure thats a nominal value so it means no signal.
Whats weird is I can do an auto tune with the DSR920 and it will zero in on something.

If you can wait until tomorrow, there will probably be some Ku analog showing on the East end of the arc.

G17/SBS6 or AMC5 or even AMC6

Hopefully someone will PM you with a feed. If I run across one this evening, I'll PM you.

Fred

I wouldnt have a problem with the DVB but I havent sorted out the
FTA thing yet.
I played with it a little and got a few on C band but I think my best bet is to
find something with the DSR920 first.

You could always try using the K4 tile. I know it is for a western bird, but the polarity is correct or K9 which is closer and set it for TP 24 for the AMC2/16 85W test card.

It is a little weaker signal, but it might be enough to tell you whether the Ku is working.

Maybe its in the cable or something. When Im looking for X4 and switch from a tuned G4 it does need to move a little, but even before it moves to peak quality it still shows at least 80 signal and 1 quality. The most I get on X4 without probably relocating dish somewhere else in yard is 85 sig 95 quality. Thats the readings from chanel 600 that i subscribe to (coincidentally i have channel 600 subscribed to on most sats. Do you have something subscribed to in the digital ku? It helps to have the quality meter too.

DSR 920 does have a quality meter
yes Ive switched cables my C band is
now on the cable that was vacant for the last 20 yrs.
Fred thanks for that tip on the test site.
I have no Ku sub
no need to until I get it to work

American Life TV? X4-603 This one's free if you subscribe to anything in c or ku, i do believe. Actually I don't think you need a subscription, if you get it to go from "Searching for channel..." to "no subscription" you can work with tuning this, right? It still sounds like the ku lnb isn't performing. You have C and Ku LNBs setup in the menu, on the 922 its Options 6-4-2?

what do you mean by zero in on something? I noticed when its autotuning and found nothing in the range, it goes back to the middle, or where it was. If it heads one way and stays there, then try to Options 6-4-4 and move the dish closer that way and try to re-autotune. It will only autotune a short range. Signal of 10....does it fluctuate to 100 and back or anything like that? or is it solid 10 all throughout? Im not sure if the 920 is that much different, but it definatly sounds like no signal from lnb...

Im guessing X4 is the strongest ku satellite to try with since i've heard its fairly new and has good power. I *think* i had to move the X4 tile's programmed location just a little with Options 6-4-4, like 20 clicks? and then it autotuned pretty close at 85 sig and 80 quality. i had to manually peak to squeeze the extra quality out of it.

by the way, if you have those ku tiles programmed in, and they are wrong, it can throw off the "Move to position xxxx" auto sat finder. I had to delete my X4 tile and a misprogrammed C4, Options 6-4-4, then "move to position xxxx" when adding X4 before it actually came within autotune range....

Last edited:
Ku Tuning with a 922 longwinded

I have an 8' KTI mesh with Norsats feeding a 922 and a subscription w/ NPS for X4.

Program satellites >> G4 16. Shepards Chapel. Get it in as best as you can then go to 17 and more than likely you will see a colorbar slate for Buena Vista. If you have both of these that indicates the polarizer is working, another crucial element when tuning Ku.

Save the settings for G4 then go options adjust settings program satellites and choose X4. Regardless of where it tells you to go just "go back" to save X4. Exit and go back into programming satellites and choose X4 again. Start your skew at -20 (I know this is like telling someone to use a specific dish position but I'm checking a theory here.) Go no more than 3 digits to the west, but feel free to run the run the skew lock to lock and see if you get a picture. If not try 3 digits to the east. I feel the looking at the picture during a sat programming gives you better results because during an "adjust picture" you may run out of dish movement.

I have found that sometimes X4 will be exactly where G4 and not even the skew needs to be moved but sometimes it does require the jog; in my case the pole is probably the culprit.

This dish has never been strung, the F/d will be "something" no matter what I do and the pole is still not solidly installed in concrete. We used the two person method for scalar adjustment (good picture or not).

This morning I confirmed W3 20 and used the same method to do K3 TP 3 and 5.

After proving to myself Ku was worth the effort and not nearly as scary as some have suggested it might be, I now need an HD FTA box for all the DVB stuff I'm missing. If you are trying for DVB only the sats are everywhere and the amount being shown for free is like the old days of C band. Trees will affect both C and Ku and could make Ku impossible depending on the sat you use.

As others suggested 10 on the signal meter with no fluctuation is indicative of no signal and that may just be a loose or shorted at the F on the LNB. One strand of sheild accidentally going to the conductor can do that, as will water in the coax. Remember the coax carries power to the LNB.
Good luck!!

My problem with trying to tune using some of the more eastern sats is I cant reach the feedhorn to move it around.Being on the east coast ,using a far western sat is better because it lower.
Im now trying to find stuff on G0-X0 which puts the dish at a position I can work with off an 8ft ladder.
Cabling isnt a problem Ive tested them and switched back and forth between C band and Ku.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)