Tuning Directv Sat 99 and 103 with AIM METER

Status
Please reply by conversation.

blocksofwood

Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
tennessee
I'm an RV person and have had trouble with my Birdog Ultra getting my Slimline SWiM 3LNB dish mounted on a tripod to pick up the 99 and 103 signals. So I picked up an AIM meter and it seems real straight forward to use, EXCEPT, I can't get enough signal on the 99 and 103 satellites to bring in all the channels. I have tried multiple times with the AIM meter and get about -26db signal and go through all the processes but the 99 and 103 fail during the EIV process. Repeating it all doesn't seem to make any difference. There must be a simple method to "fine tune" while watching the 99 and 103 transponders. The users manual on line doesn't cover this and since I'm NOT an official install tech there isn't any training info I've been able to find.
If anyone has a good solution, please pass it on.
The tripod is anchored well with no wind and it is leveled correctly.
Also, I have a good view of the sky in the correct direction. The meter locked onto the 101 sat and responds as expected.
Thanks, Blocksofwood

I'm an RV person and have had trouble with my Birdog Ultra getting my Slimline SWiM 3LNB dish mounted on a tripod to pick up the 99 and 103 signals. So I picked up an AIM meter and it seems real straight forward to use, EXCEPT, I can't get enough signal on the 99 and 103 satellites to bring in all the channels. I have tried multiple times with the AIM meter and get about -26db signal and go through all the processes but the 99 and 103 fail during the EIV process. Repeating it all doesn't seem to make any difference. There must be a simple method to "fine tune" while watching the 99 and 103 transponders. The users manual on line doesn't cover this and since I'm NOT an official install tech there isn't any training info I've been able to find.
If anyone has a good solution, please pass it on.
The tripod is anchored well with no wind and it is leveled correctly.
Also, I have a good view of the sky in the correct direction. The meter locked onto the 101 sat and responds as expected.
Thanks, Blocksofwood
When you have the meter hooked up and the 101 is dialed in, can you then see the 99 and 103 Sats ?
I don't have a AIM so I can't tell you exactly ... but I would see what the 99 and 103 is set for and use the Dithering knobs to see if you can increase your signal.
Whats you 101 at ?

just going by logic, if you're level and get the 101 properly, your skew is probably off. and for the most part the actual value displayed (-26 in your case) isnt nearly as important as the fact it wont go any higher. otherwise assuming you have the skew correct, could have been a bent reflector.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
just going by logic, if you're level and get the 101 properly, your skew is probably off. and for the most part the actual value displayed (-26 in your case) isnt nearly as important as the fact it wont go any higher. otherwise assuming you have the skew correct, could have been a bent reflector.
Good point ....
Bad info on my part ...
It would be a skew adjustment.
Dithering doesn't do the skew.

Dish is probably bent or warped.

Since your constantly realigning it every time you move in your RV this is likely the issue.

If your properly leveled with the mast, you should get 99 and 104 automatically when you lock in 101.

The aim meter is super simple to use.

I ran into this exact same problem a year ago. The dish looked perfect, and showed no signs of warping, but a new dish solved the issue

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
Ok. But when I go to the satellite reading under the test section. I get a lock on 99 and 103 but the transponders are all around 50 to 60 and making fine adjustments doesn't seem to matter. Also there will only be the even (18v) on the 99 and mostly the same on 103a & b. I pick out the "best" SQ or SNR and make fine adjustments and get very little response. Also the readings are quite erratic (constantly jumping around) with no wind and the tripod seems to be quite steady. Do any of these symptoms tell you anything different? Thanks for your response. This is one of those things that has me flustrated and I want to figure it out but just can't locate any "official type training ads" online.

I've made a few adjustments on the skew also but that doesn't have any affect on the 99 or 103 transponders. Guess I need to find another dish to try. Anything else?
Yes, the AIM is very simple to use. It walks you through the entire process and gives you the fine tuning adjustments which is great. It just doesn't have any instructions on how to fine tune the 99 or 103 if you don't have enough SQ or SNR to get them locked in also. Thanks.

I've made a few adjustments on the skew also but that doesn't have any affect on the 99 or 103 transponders. Guess I need to find another dish to try. Anything else?
Yes, the AIM is very simple to use. It walks you through the entire process and gives you the fine tuning adjustments which is great. It just doesn't have any instructions on how to fine tune the 99 or 103 if you don't have enough SQ or SNR to get them locked in also. Thanks.
If your actually locked on the 101 with a good signal and your plumb, the skew is the ONLY adjustment for the 99 and 103.

So what you are asking for is a way to cheat dithering by using an aim. Since this is not supported by directv I will not post pubically, but do check your pm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sounds like I need to change the dish itself and try better. I've got a new one on the way and we'll give it a try plus redoing the dithering and see what I can get. Also, I'll redo the tilt by a little bit each side of the correct setting. It should be simple but I guess I'm missing something. I'll give it another try.
Thanks for the comments.

Sounds like I need to change the dish itself and try better. I've got a new one on the way and we'll give it a try plus redoing the dithering and see what I can get. Also, I'll redo the tilt by a little bit each side of the correct setting. It should be simple but I guess I'm missing something. I'll give it another try.
Thanks for the comments.
It is simple, it's just that the Sat your pointing at is 23,000 miles away, so the slightest move is HUGE up there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.