Tunning

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tictoc

Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
Have a question on tunning my dish. I have an 8.5 mesh, small mesh, with an adjustable STS feedhorn and dual LNB's. The feedhorn and LNB's can be moved by loosening four bolts and rotating the section. A ring inside of a ring if you will.

My question is is there a particular way the LNB's should a alined? K on top C one bottom or does it matter?

It works after I rotated it to where the c is about 10 and the k is about 5 o clock position but some channels are off so I am getting ready to sit down and do some proper tunning after my NORSAT 8515 gets here.

If there are any hints on tunning Digital in that would also be great!

I use a 8.5 mesh, dual LNB's on a STS adjustable scaller ring, 4DTV receiver NORSAT 3220 and NORSAT K forgot the numbers and all new cable.

Thanks

Mike

tictoc said:
My question is is there a particular way the LNB's should a alined? K on top C one bottom or does it matter?

It works after I rotated it to where the c is about 10 and the k is about 5 o clock position but some channels are off so I am getting ready to sit down and do some proper tunning after my NORSAT 8515 gets here.
The c-band lnb should be pointed to 11 when the dish is pointed due south.

If there are any hints on tunning Digital in that would also be great!

Do it slowly. Make a change and wait. It takes a few moments for the quailty readings to stabilize.

Normally, the KU LNB is at top and C band LNB at the bottom, and the feedhorn setting shoukld be at 11/5 o'clock position if due south.The wrong setting will results you only get half of the TPs or one side of the polaritys. The focal point from the LNBs to the dish also play a major part for perfect signal, so loosen the scew from the scalar ring and move the feedhorn out and in you will see the big difference. THis also can result in your digital reception.

Hi guys, i'm interested in this also, as I've been dealing with my "f ratio" and tweaking my feedhorn.

sksatellite, you're suggesting the Ku at the top ( which I would presume = 11 o'clock) ...so does that contradict the cband/top suggestion of mkm4?

Currently my cband is at 11 (on top) and I just want to be sure I'm right.
Thanks!

One say's K top one say's C top. Which one is it?

I noticed Diamond Jim's C is the lower one as far as I can tell.

I'll move the ring out since I think it is in the middle right now. Can't hurt since I am tunning it anyway

Thanks

Mike

tictoc said:
I noticed Diamond Jim's C is the lower one as far as I can tell.

Yep, that's where the installer put it and I have left it alone because it works great. I have rotated it a few times trying to make it better, but it always ends up back in the origional place.

Man, you guys sure can confuse a person with all of this technical jargon. I have a cable running out to the "sports TV" in the garage, when I have a problem I just unhook it, take my 12" Sony out to the yard, hook it up and mess with the dish up and down, east and west until I think it's right. I have done that maybe three times over the years.

JerryK said:
Hi guys, i'm interested in this also, as I've been dealing with my "f ratio" and tweaking my feedhorn.

sksatellite, you're suggesting the Ku at the top ( which I would presume = 11 o'clock) ...so does that contradict the cband/top suggestion of mkm4?

Thanks!

Well, I am came from the C band day and did lots this C/KU systems installation and service. I was still enjoying My C/KU system last year, but sine moved, I really missed. Waiting a chance to have another BUD install at this house.

JerryK said:

Thanks!

From Chaparral's website
Rotate the feed to it's proper orientation using the "polar axis template". The polar axis is a line that runs through the center of the dish pivot points. It is the axis around which the dish will rotate. Another way to look at it is ......If your dish is positioned so that it is pointing at it's highest point of travel (the zenith of the arc).......when you stand directly in front of the dish, the "polar axis" runs from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock. Proper orientation in these terms means that you point the arrow of the polar axis template at 12 o'clock (directly in line with the axis). If you do not have a template, you can get close by siting down the long side of the servo motor; pointing it at about 11 o'clock.
emphasis added.

The f/D ratio calculation is also on this page.

Status
Please reply by conversation.