Turbo HD gold customers get hosed!!

This is getting rather ridiculous. What is the point of even offering these HD only packages if you aren't even going to throw the new HD channels in them? Luckily, I have all the stuff I need in TurboHD Silver, but I feel bad for other people who wanted them.

Well, they didn't laugh out the lawsuit that awarded an 81-year-old woman from Albuquerque, N.M. $2.9 million back in 1994 because the hot coffee she spilled on herself was...well...too HOT!

I figure the fact that DISH practiced some false, or at the very least, mis-leading marketing/sales tactics that duped MANY consumers into signing up for service...that might be fairly solid grounds for some kind of legal challenge.

at the time, mcdonalds did not advise that the coffee was hot. now it shows on the cub "caution contents hot". well, dish is covered, they have their own caution, "channels and packages subject to change without notice". in this case, they are also subject to not change.

I'm glad I still have an HD Absolute account. The TurboHD subscribers are really getting ripped off bad and have every right to be angry about it. They're paying $20-$30 more per month than I am and receiving fewer national HD channels.

The HD only packages serve little purpose at all if a growing number of important HD channels are excluded from them. TurboHD Gold with the Platinum add-on should have EVERY national HD channel offered by E* (not counting premium HD channels).

Just a simple statement from Charlie would suffice.

1. We will at some point add all of the HD channels to TURBO.
  2. We won't ever add all of the HD channels to TURBO.
AND EXPLAIN WHY!
Is that so hard to do?

Please provide the evidence of this, or quit blowing smoke.........

The fact remains that as of August 2008 Dish is no longer offering the Absolute package. The fact that they are supporting existing Absolute customers is purely a courtesy. Enjoy it while you can ...

The fact remains that as of August 2008 Dish is no longer offering the Absolute package. The fact that they are supporting existing Absolute customers is purely a courtesy. Enjoy it while you can ...

So, you didn't prove your statement. You are just blowing smoke....again.

Do you just have sour grapes because you didn't get in on Absolute when you could have?

So, you didn't prove your statement. You are just blowing smoke....again.

Do you just have sour grapes because you didn't get in on Absolute when you could have?

Perhaps I am not understanding what you require as proof.

If I were to call Dish and say put me on your Absolute package please, they would not know what I am talking about or would say that package is no longer available.

Similarly if I had Absolute and I were to say I would like to get Nick in HD, Dish would tell me that the Absolute package that I have does not support that because it is no longer available and to get that channel I would have to switch to another current package.

The package has been discontinued since August of 2008. The fact that Dish has not forced Absolute folks to another package is purely a courtesy on their part. The fact that Dish continues to add channels to the Absolute package, again, is another courtesy. The package is no longer available and hence Dish can notify you tomorrow that they are forcing you to another package and here will be your new monthly total. You could either take the offer or do something else.

If this is not enough, please explain what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Perhaps I am not understanding what you require as proof.

If I were to call Dish and say put me on your Absolute package please, they would not know what I am talking about or would say that package is no longer available.

Similarly if I had Absolute and I were to say I would like to get Nick in HD, Dish would tell me that the Absolute package that I have does not support that because it is no longer available and to get that channel I would have to switch to another current package.

The package has been discontinued since August of 2008. The fact that Dish has not forced Absolute folks to another package is purely a courtesy on their part. The fact that Dish continues to add channels to the Absolute package, again, is another courtesy. The package is no longer available and hence Dish can notify you tomorrow that they are forcing you to another package and here will be your new monthly total. You could either take the offer or do something else.

If this is not enough, please explain what you are looking for.

+1

It is no longer available to order. If you had this package they didn't cancel it on you.

Yikes. It does look as though Turbo HD standalones are toast. I know I predicted it earlier in the thread, but I was really hoping I wasn't right. I wanted to switch back when they got things sorted with the missing HD. Another gimmick come and gone.:mad:

Unfortunately, this is evidently the correct analysis. Charlie is clearly just hoping to delay discontinuing TurboHD as long as possible, to use it as a "fishing lure" to get new customers, especially scraping the bottom of the barrel moneywise.

It's not a bad business plan - sign people up for $40 a month service and then make them want to pay you $60 a month or so when they realize the $40 a month service does not cover what they thought it did... definitely the way "TurboHD Bronze" and "Bronze HD" are bandied about on the website, and the website has a big "NEW HD CHANNELS!" plastered on it, it's almost explicitly misleading (though of course not directly so if you look in the details.)

On my almost-a-lawyer chair (2/3 complete, thankyouverymuch!), I kind of wonder if someone who signs up right about now might actually have a claim for false advertising or bait-and-switch type state legislation. The near-obfuscation-level tactics Dish has employed are really the straw that breaks the camel's back on that one, I think. Problem is, you're not likely to get much in the way of equity except perhaps specific performance on the contract as the buyer believed it existed... and you'll likely spend more on the lawyer fees to get it than you would just paying whatever Dish wants - unless some intrepid lawyer out there is himself a Dish customer - but then it's not really worth his time. ;)

On my almost-a-lawyer chair (2/3 complete, thankyouverymuch!), I kind of wonder if someone who signs up right about now might actually have a claim for false advertising or bait-and-switch type state legislation. The near-obfuscation-level tactics Dish has employed are really the straw that breaks the camel's back on that one, I think. Problem is, you're not likely to get much in the way of equity except perhaps specific performance on the contract as the buyer believed it existed... and you'll likely spend more on the lawyer fees to get it than you would just paying whatever Dish wants - unless some intrepid lawyer out there is himself a Dish customer - but then it's not really worth his time. ;)
I agree on a case by case basis, but maybe a class action suit is needed. I normally don't like them, but in this case it might be warranted.

Maybe it was the programmer's decision
I doubt it...besides anything can be had for a price. And that still doesn't explain why did Silver Classic + HD is getting all the new HD and only went up $3 while TurboHD Silver only go two new channels and went up $10?

I agree on a case by case basis, but maybe a class action suit is needed. I normally don't like them, but in this case it might be warranted.
Do I really need to bring up the contract you signed (and EVERY sub signed).....AGAIN!!!!

Unfortunately, this is evidently the correct analysis. Charlie is clearly just hoping to delay discontinuing TurboHD as long as possible, to use it as a "fishing lure" to get new customers, especially scraping the bottom of the barrel moneywise.

It's not a bad business plan - sign people up for $40 a month service and then make them want to pay you $60 a month or so when they realize the $40 a month service does not cover what they thought it did... definitely the way "TurboHD Bronze" and "Bronze HD" are bandied about on the website, and the website has a big "NEW HD CHANNELS!" plastered on it, it's almost explicitly misleading (though of course not directly so if you look in the details.)
It's a terrible business plan and they're shooting themselves in the foot!

This was posted in the Team Summit thread before reading this thread:
Someone needs to tell those clowns that their website is going to hurt them. If I were shopping for Speed HD and did not find it in the TurboHD packages, then I would go to DirecTV.

The Dish Network site does not promote the fact that you need a SD package + HD add-on to get Speed HD. I am using Speed HD as just one possible example.

Better yet, put the same HD in the Turbos that are in the Classics!!!

Who has time to decipher all of the Dish packages and add-ons?

Do I really need to bring up the contract you signed (and EVERY sub signed).....AGAIN!!!!

Relax, Spaz. lol It's one thing to change programming after it's delivered, it's another to sell something and not deliver. It's not quite as black and white as you're making out.

Relax, Spaz. lol It's one thing to change programming after it's delivered, it's another to sell something and not deliver. It's not quite as black and white as you're making out.
I was told on three separate occasions that I would be getting new HD as it was added to the appropriate levels. I said I want them all, so the CSRs always told me that Turbo Gold with the Platinum add-on would give me *all national hd channels.* I am not alone; this is not a unique experience. So if the service and the contract contradict each other, I wonder what will happen...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)