TurboHD: Some newbie questions (locals, dvr, platinum)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

joeyjojojnr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I'm finding DishNetworks web site to be less than helpful, and their phone folks to, well, they're not much more helpful than DirecTV's phone folks.

So, a few questions:

1) Can I get TurboHD all by itself? We like the $25 price tag for Bronze. Is that an actual stand-alone price are do they need us to buy one of the non-HD packages and then add TurboHD to that?

2) What are the 'over 40' channels? The site states you get more than 40 channels, but they only show 26 logos channels. I assume they maybe are counting 14 VOD channels?

3) If we upgrade for the $5 local channels, is that ALL local channels? For instance, now with digital, we get 7 local PBS stations. Would we get all of those? If not, is switching between Dish and OTA antenna a pain or fairly easy?

4) Any of you use the $10 platinum add on? Worth it? Universal HD and HDNet Movies seem worth it.

5) DVR. What do I need to add a HD DVR to the mix? I can't quite figure the additional fees for that.

6) Who to buy from? Sounds like a good local distributor is the best way to go. Any suggestions for the Twin Cities, MN region?

I know that's a lot of questions. I appreciate any answers any of you can provide. Thanks!

Dish's website will tell you what local channels you'll get based on your address. But 99% of the time you won't get ANY sub-channels. If you're really unlucky, you might not even get any HD locals at all.

The DVRs will tune digital OTA channels directly, but unless you subscribe to locals (no matter how few they give you) from Dish, you won't get a program guide for them. You can still record from them manually though. I don't know how it works on the non-DVR models, but if you're getting HD you WANT a DVR for at least your main TV.

HD only mean pretty much that, you do get some of the sd versions of the HD ones but you do not have to order it with other packages.
They do count HD PPV channels, not sure if they count HD VOD (there are none at the moment). There may be a couple of HD RSN's included as well.
Use the local channel qualifier to see what locals you get, there may be some HD locals depending on your dma, but nothing more the big four in almost all cases.
DVR fees depend on what you get as any HD dvr is a dual tuner, there are three but two have independent outputs to run two separate tv's. Each tv can watch different programs but second output is sd. If you don't subscribe to DVR advantage or the all everything package, there is a dvr fee of $5.98, DVR Adv. includes one dvr fee and all everything includes all dvr fees. There is a additional tuner fee on the dual tuner receivers with two outputs if you do not connect a phoneline or eithernet dsl connection. Local dealers usually have the same deals as calling Dish direct, but you get better service and quicker answers to your problems if you can find a good one. There a many local retailers who don't seem to care or are knowledgeable enough.

Yea, it sounds like the local channel option isn't that great of a deal. We might as well stick with an antenna for those.

The more I think about it, the less I need a DVR. Eventually, I'll probably hook up a 'Hulu' box of some sort and that will be fine.

So, given that, I guess my remaining questions are:

1) is the $10 upgrade to get HD.net, MGM HD and Universal HD worth it (in your opinion) and

2) Any suggestions for resellers/installers in MN?

You must not watch a lot of HD if you don't think you need a way to record it.

A DVR is great, but I don't need to be watching MORE than I do now.

Plus, I'm going to be using HULU for most 'on demand' sitcoms and the like.

Ultimate, I just hate paying a lot of TV. The more you pay, the more crap, IMHO. ;o)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)