TurboTax vs. TaxCut vs. old O.S.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Howdy! I'm never one to wait until the last minute for something as important as paying Uncle Sam his share (sarcasm on!), so I better resolve this little dilemma quickly!

I have been a loyal TurboTax (TT) user for at least the last 10 years. But this year I think I'm being forced to make a change. I am still running Win98 on my home PC, where I have all my past TT records and planned to manage the tax return again this year. When I went to purchase the '06 Fed/State version I noticed that TT apparently no longer supports Win98!

TaxCut (TC) says it does support my old OS, and furthermore that it can import data from TT, which I presume means that it will input all the personal, W-2 information, etc. from last year's return.

I don't think my 2000-vintage PC is a good candidate for an upgrade to WinXP, so that's not really under consideration at this time. Neither is an equipment upgrade. (Maybe if I get a BIG refund...!)

Has anyone else run into this? Will the '06 tax year TT still work with Win98 even tho' that old OS is no longer listed on the box?

What's your opinion of TT vs. TC? Do I give up anything important? (I realize that many of the frills like the little video clips that TT always has probably won't be there.)

Tks in advance for any insight...

I have used both and both seem to be fine. I did TT this year and TaxAct last year. It did import the personal info, but not the taxes paid, etc, which was a bit more difficult for filing electronically because I had to look up the info, but other than that it was great. Hope that helps :)

We have used TaxCut since my Mother-in-Law (an accountant, now retired) suggested it back in 2000. It is usually cheaper than TurboTax, but this year, TC changed their pricing and made it more expensive. Last year, Target had a special edition of TC for $15 that included one state and free e-file. This year, it's closer to $45 for the same thing.

Fortunately, my wife's a Tax CPA :) She did our taxes while I went skiing over St. Patrick's Day weekend. (Unfortunately, she doesn't get to have a weekend off until after April 17th.) So, no more tax software for us!

... She did our taxes while I went skiing over St. Patrick's Day weekend. (Unfortunately, she doesn't get to have a weekend off until after April 17th.) So, no more tax software for us!
About half the time I file an extension and then do the taxes at my leisure sometime later in the year. No need to go crazy over the April deadline.

I've always used TurboTax, but this year I'm switching to TaxCut. It was $15 at Best Buy yesterday for the "Premium Federal" version (no free e-file, no state).

I have used TurboTax the last three years online - no program to install and TurboTax saves all my data and it replicates to the next year. It is very convenient and I don't have to submit any paperwork!

I used Libertytax.com its 7$ and they provide the software via the web. Input all the info to your web browser and bam done. I did the direct deposit method and had the funds the next friday. 7 BUCKS! sure beat the 60+ I usally pay H n R block. Also theirs no software to download or install its all webbased.

I've been using TurboTax for about 4 years now. They finally got the software to where it was able to do clergy taxes, although last year I hit a glitch, I had to manually enter the correct information, and it insisted there was an error where there wasn't. That will affect very few. I buy my copy at Sam's Club, and this year I believe I paid $24 for the deluxe with one free state. I always end up doing both my daughter's taxes as well, and this year I did theirs on the TurboTax web version. That enabled me to file their taxes online for free, and both Iowa and Illinois allow you to file state 1040's electronically for free from their websites. Mine I mail in. I don't want that check to get there a moment earlier than necessary. Iowa taxes aren't due until the end of April.

I've considered doing mine online, but can't come to terms with putting virtually every item of important information about myself in that commercial database. It's a one-stop shopping location for anyone who wants to get into the fast-growing career of identity theft. Birthday, SSAN, address, bank accounts, employer, etc., etc., and an indication of relative wealth. It may be the most complete compilation of all that information outside the IRS.

Been using TT for many years. It has gotten much better. For old OS like win 98. just grab the folder you saved your TT filing in from that old computer and put it in the new one with the same path on your C drive. It works. That's what I did. Ypu will need last years files(2005) for import.

A new feature I like is how TT will grab your W2 and other income stuff on line. Been using that feature for 2 years now.

I've considered doing mine online, but can't come to terms with putting virtually every item of important information about myself in that commercial database. It's a one-stop shopping location for anyone who wants to get into the fast-growing career of identity theft. Birthday, SSAN, address, bank accounts, employer, etc., etc., and an indication of relative wealth. It may be the most complete compilation of all that information outside the IRS.
I only do the online thing with my kids. The free online versions are only for those who can file the "short form". There are income limits, etc. With my kids there isn't much "relative wealth" to indicate. :cool: I wish my own taxes were as simple as theirs. Then again, I'm very glad my income is greater than theirs. :D One of my daughters is graduating from college in a month, and the other one only worked at a part time job for half the year in 2006 while she waited to go into the Peace Corps. She won't need to file at all next year, because while there is a certain amount of compensation a Peace Corps Volunteer receives that is taxable, it isn't enough to pay taxes on. BTW, I file for one daughter since she is still my dependent, and I have Power of Attorney for the other one while she is in Africa for 27 months.

Bogy- Speaking of your daughter in Africa- How's she doing? I always wondered what part of Africa she was in. Last I recall you were trying to figure out how she was going to get internet coverage there.

Just completed my taxes with TT. What a stressless job it is with this software. I ended up owing a small chunk of change, just under a grand so, I'm off to the bank to make my IRA contribution to wipe that to zero. :)

My wife and I filed our taxes early February. We usually go buy the TT software, but this year we decided to try their online version. Worked like a charm!! :)

Bogy- Speaking of your daughter in Africa- How's she doing? I always wondered what part of Africa she was in. Last I recall you were trying to figure out how she was going to get internet coverage there.

Just completed my taxes with TT. What a stressless job it is with this software. I ended up owing a small chunk of change, just under a grand so, I'm off to the bank to make my IRA contribution to wipe that to zero. :)
She is doing good. She is in Kenya, stationed in Sio Port, which is on Lake Victoria. She is about a kilometer from Uganda, and actually yesterday she was in Uganda, white water rafting on the Nile. Probably home about now. The post offices have computers with internet access, but the access is verrry slooow dialup. When she gets to Kisumu or Nairobi there are internet cafes available with high speed access. That's when she uploads her pictures and updates her Myspace account. The PCV closest to her has a laptop with a wireless card. He is limited to something like 300 meg of download a month however. She does have a cell phone, so we are able to talk with her on a regular basis. At least fairly regularly, because the cheapest rate I have found to call a mobile phone in Kenya is 16 cents a minute. Adds up fast, especially when the average "care package" we send costs $23 for 4 lbs. And you would be surprised how fast a package gets to 4 lbs.

My wife and I filed our taxes early February. We usually go buy the TT software, but this year we decided to try their online version. Worked like a charm!! :)
Neutron - What was the cost for that (use of TT on line plus efiling the Federal return)? Also, could you also do your state tax return at the same time. (I'll always buy the state product to enable me to complete and print the state return, but I will never file state electronically. The 39-cent stamp and a few sheets of paper are a whole lot cheaper than the efiling fee...)

Thanks for the update, Bogy. Believe it or not, I think of her over there often, especially when I see something, usually bad, in the news or in the movies.

Too bad the internet is not as good as expected. I was in Grand Cayman a few days last week and was very surprised that my ethernet there tested 3megs down and 2 megs up! I used skype for lengthy calls at 2.1 cents a minute.

Thanks for the update, Bogy. Believe it or not, I think of her over there often, especially when I see something, usually bad, in the news or in the movies.

Too bad the internet is not as good as expected. I was in Grand Cayman a few days last week and was very surprised that my ethernet there tested 3megs down and 2 megs up! I used skype for lengthy calls at 2.1 cents a minute.
A month or so ago I asked her what she found the most surprising about her experience so far. She said it was the huge chasm between the cities and the rural areas. I live in a small town in Iowa, while my wife's family lives in southern California, one of my sisters lives in Minneapolis, and the other lives in a suburb of New York City. They may kid me about living "in the sticks" but we have running water complete with an indoor bathroom, reliable electricity, airconditioning, etc, etc, including internet at 15/1. We may not have Broadway, or major league teams quite as handy, but the basic things we take for granted are the same for all of us. Not the same in Kenya. When my daughter goes to one of the big cities, Nairobi (the capitol), or Kisumu (the largest city), she can access high speed internet, dine at world class restaurants, enjoy warm showers and electricity. She has it fairly good at her post. She is on a health center clinic, but her house had been sitting empty for 2 years. After 7 months on site, she finally now has running water, including a nice cold shower (which actually isn't bad when its 90 in her house), a flushable...well, its not what you would recognize as a toilet, but it performs that function, and just in the last few weeks got electricity hooked up to her house, so she was able to buy a fan. She washes her clothes by hand, and her lawn is "mowed" by the neighbors cow. :D Its that huge chasm between the urban and rural that has had the greatest impact on her.

Neutron - What was the cost for that (use of TT on line plus efiling the Federal return)? Also, could you also do your state tax return at the same time. (I'll always buy the state product to enable me to complete and print the state return, but I will never file state electronically. The 39-cent stamp and a few sheets of paper are a whole lot cheaper than the efiling fee...)
For PA state taxes, you can just go to http://www.revenue.state.pa.us/
Free form entry and filing, no need to bother with turbotaxes state form (and fees)

Tks Derwino! I need to get with the times more. (Now if the information would all just transfer from my completed electronic 1040 into the PA-40 then I'd really be all set...!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)