Turn DVR tuner off?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
I was wondering if it is possible to turn a tuner on a DVR off? I am looking at going to a SWM LNB and currently have more than the 8 supported tuners. Here are the receivers that I would be using with it.

R22 (Qty 2)
R16
HR20-700
HR20-100
H21-200

I would like to only use one tuner on the R22's and the R16. Is this even possible? Currently the R22's and R16 are only using 1 tuner so it is no big deal if I don't use them in the future.

If you really need a single wire solution, I'd use high frequency splitters on the four lines from your current dish and then connect to two SWM8 modules. This will give you 16 possible tuners.

But to answer your question, check the DVR setup to see if you can force it into single tuner mode.

I am trying to do this and save some money while I am at it. If I did two SWM8 modules it would currently cost around $400 dollars to accomplish this. I can get a SWM LNB for a whole lot less than that.

Last I knew , you could.
My office is currently only using 1 tuner on my R16.
I just hooked 1 wire up and reset the receiver and it was fine. But if you don't reset the receiver you'll get a searching for satellite on the screen.

Last I knew , you could.
My office is currently only using 1 tuner on my R16.
I just hooked 1 wire up and reset the receiver and it was fine. But if you don't reset the receiver you'll get a searching for satellite on the screen.

That is with the SWM? You only hookup one wire to the receiver to use both tuners with the SWM.

That is with the SWM? You only hookup one wire to the receiver to use both tuners with the SWM.
I'm not really sure then. If you only need 1 wire , then why would you want to turn a tuner off? Just wondering? I thought those have an option to support as many tuners as you need. 8 Tuners ? That wouldn't work in my house either, Why not just keep what you have now?

I'm not really sure then. If you only need 1 wire , then why would you want to turn a tuner off? Just wondering?

I have 11 tuners if I use all of them and the SWM LNB only supports 8. If I want to use all 11 it would require two SWM8 switches which would cost more than I am willing to spend right now. And the three DVR's that I only want to use 1 tuner each are the Kids and the only reason they have them is that I received all three for only $50.

OK, I just figured out how to fix the two R22's so they only use one tuner but I have not figured it out on the R16 yet. Is it possible on the R16? Anybody???

I am trying to do this and save some money while I am at it. If I did two SWM8 modules it would currently cost around $400 dollars to accomplish this. I can get a SWM LNB for a whole lot less than that.

You do realize that the SWM8 switch module ALSO has 3 legacy outputs you can ALSO use at the same time the 8 SWM channels??? You could put the H21 on one of them w/no issues, since obviously there is only 1 tuner in it, while perhaps if you could get a 2nd coax to one of your DVR's, that would take care of using the other 2 ports then. So now, you shouldn't have to turn off ANY tuners!

I've done this a couple times & have had NO problems with it...

Very true, I was just pointing out that if you ever wanted to use more than 8 tuners, you'd be out of luck with the SWM LNB.

Note that the legacy ports don't pass the Ka signals.

Very true, I was just pointing out that if you ever wanted to use more than 8 tuners, you'd be out of luck with the SWM LNB.

Note that the legacy ports don't pass the Ka signals.

The swm-8 was my original thought to use with the WB68 switch to get all the tuners up and running. I might just break down and buy one of them if there is no way to get rid of the second tuner on the R16.

Are you SURE about that - I'm using them on an R22, with MPEG4 locals & they ALL work just fine thru the legacy ports.
Either way, he could STILL put the R16 on them... ;)
Actually, I'm not sure of that. But, I read it on one of the forums. If you're using the legacy ports for MPEG4, then that's good enough for me. I don't like passing on incorrect info. :rolleyes:

The swm-8 was my original thought to use with the WB68 switch to get all the tuners up and running. I might just break down and buy one of them if there is no way to get rid of the second tuner on the R16.

Again, you do NOT need the WB68 anymore - ONE SWM8 switch will do it all. (per my previous post regarding extra coax run(s) )
And, since it sounds like you are ALREADY using a WB68, it also sounds like the coax may not be an issue anyway... ;) ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)