Status
Please reply by conversation.

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
Ok I apologize if this is a really dumb question, but I don't know so I'm askin' :)

I'm switching from E* to D*. I never shut my E* receivers off. The only time they get powered down is if we have a power failure. The reason for this is the E* receivers take a REALLY long time to boot from power off.

So when I get my HR24s this Thursday, should I leave 'em on or shut 'em off when I'm not using them?

I'm actually getting a jump on programming my universal remote (URC MX-980) so that's why I'm wondering.

It's up to you, but you should know that the DirecTV DVRs don't really turn off. Only the front panel lights and the outputs actually turn off.

It takes like 3 seconds from power on to picture :)

I turn mine off when not at home...force of habit I guess. I press one button and both the DVR and the TV go off

I leave all of mine on 24/7 & encourage my clients to do the same - since as jd pointed out, it isn't shutting off anything except the video out...

The H/HR24's are different than the rest of the recvrs, they are lit up blue, but they have a much dimmer light on them, actually looks cool and not nearly as bright.

This recvr doesn't serve as a night light. :D

I would like to ask the same question, but when I say "turn off" I mean un-plug the power cord. I live in a solar powered house and power consumption is a factor. I just had my HR22 give me a error code 15-141, which tech support says means they need to replace the DVR. Could that error have been caused by unplugging power daily?
Larry

Wasn't general consensus on HDD's, is that its better to leave it running, and warm, than power and heat cycle. Not that it kills it instantly, but Im sure there is more wear and tear.

I would like to ask the same question, but when I say "turn off" I mean un-plug the power cord. I live in a solar powered house and power consumption is a factor. I just had my HR22 give me a error code 15-141, which tech support says means they need to replace the DVR. Could that error have been caused by unplugging power daily?
Larry

Yes, the DVR's don't like to be unplugged. It is not good for the hard drive. It would be like unplugging your computer every day without going through the shut down procedure. All my DVR's are on UPS's so they never power down or get a voltage spike.

a) 15-141 means hard drive died, I just experienced that one on a HR21, after I got the replacement HR21 I removed the drive and tested it will not spin up.
b) DVRs don't turn off anymore except for the interface to the TV and lights. The mfg just call it off now because "standby" confused people. How could they auto record otherwise?
c) It stays booted because the OS is in hardware, unless you do a reset.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)