Turn Hopper OFF, leave TV on

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shadowfrom88

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2013
Sunny Hills, FL
Thought this would be simple but apparently not. I have the 54.0 remote....I want to be able to turn off my Hopper while leaving my TV on. Dish rep tells me this isn’t possible....so I’m coming to the experts

Thought this would be simple but apparently not. I have the 54.0 remote....I want to be able to turn off my Hopper while leaving my TV on. Dish rep tells me this isn’t possible....so I’m coming to the experts

Cover the front of the remote when you hit the power button and don't press any other buttons on the remote for a minute.

If you have the 54 Voice Remote you can press the mike button and say “Turn Dish off”.

Or if you have Alexa or Google Assistant set up you can say “Turn Dish off” on a Echo or Google speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

When I try "Turn Dish off" with the 54.1 remote on my Hopper Duo, the Google Assistant banner disappears, and I get the "Live TV" pop-up in the lower-right corner of the screen. The receiver does not turn off. Instead, I say "turn off" which usually works for me. (Fewer syllables is always better with voice commands, anyway.) :)

Reactions: TheKrell
Or if you have Alexa or Google Assistant set up you can say “Turn Dish off” on a Echo or Google speaker.
I have a Dot on my mightstand. How does one train Alexa to do that? I imagine I would also have to tell her which receiver to turn off.

For now, I just use Dishdude's solution. Simple, easy to remember, and just about foolproof.

Another thing you can do is turn everything off and then push the TV input button on the side and push power to turn on only the TV, or if already off push the TV input button to turn on only the TV. Keep in mind if you push the SAT button then use the power button and you are on another TV input and have auto-sensing HDMI it will turn the Hopper on and switch TV inputs to the Hopper. Also, if you push the SAT button before power you can get in a mode of when you push it the Hopper turns on and the TV turns off, just use the input buttons to individually control each device before pushing power. I have the Hopper, an X-box, Steam Box, Wii and Fire Stick on multiple HDMIs on the TV and that it how I control only the TV turning on and off when I don't want the Hopper to turn on. Hope this helps.

Yes, an older remote is a good idea. The 52.0 or 40.0 or even the old infrared Dish remotes are all good options. Now, I know what some other members here will recommend: get a Harmony remote. (Someone always chimes in with that advice whenever one of these threads about the power button on the 54 remote comes along.)

Reactions: shadowfrom88
The Hopper does not turn off, it only goes into standby mode so it can record scheduled programs while not being used . The only way to shut down the Hopper is to unplug it.

Why would you want to turn off the Hopper and leave the TV on??? Just to watch the standby screen. If you are using another input it is irrelevant whether the Hopper is on or in standby.

Tempest in a teapot.

The Hopper does not turn off, it only goes into standby mode
Yes, but the voice command "turn off" puts the Hopper in standby, since that is what people commonly call the standby mode, rather than using the technical term.

Why would you want to turn off the Hopper and leave the TV on??? Just to watch the standby screen.
Yes, exactly. It comes in handy when watching the progress of the guide download or software downloads.

I don't have a Hopper, but my Wally goes into stand-by when I change inputs on my TV. Isn't that the same thing as the Wally does when I turn it off?

Reactions: SandFarmer
If you have the 54 Voice Remote you can press the mike button and say “Turn Dish off”.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
I turn my Hopper/Sling off this way.

When I try "Turn Dish off" with the 54.1 remote on my Hopper Duo, the Google Assistant banner disappears, and I get the "Live TV" pop-up in the lower-right corner of the screen. The receiver does not turn off. Instead, I say "turn off" which usually works for me. (Fewer syllables is always better with voice commands, anyway.) :)
U992 didn't help. "Turn Dish off" still behaves the same way. "Turn off" still works, though.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
The Hopper does not turn off, it only goes into standby mode so it can record scheduled programs while not being used . The only way to shut down the Hopper is to unplug it.

Why would you want to turn off the Hopper and leave the TV on??? Just to watch the standby screen. If you are using another input it is irrelevant whether the Hopper is on or in standby.

Tempest in a teapot.
Ive purchased a Hue Sync box....it syncs whatever is on the screen to my Hue lights throughout the room. All devices plug into the Syncbox instead of the TV. It will automatically switch inputs to whatever device turns on....but if a device doesn’t actually turn off ( Hopper) it will not switch. I can switch inputs with the Hue app but I’m trying to make it easier for my wife....she isn’t big on change lol.