Turn Off STB to Recieve New Software?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FrankJo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
DC Metro Area
Should you really have to turn off you STB to recieve the software? Seems to me that most people like myself only turn their TV off at night, not the STB. If you didn't read these forums with geeks like you guys who know that, how would you get the download?

And I mean 'geeks' in the best possible way.

I remember one member reporting that his STB had not yet downloaded the new software (5.68) 4 days after being installed. He mentioned that he hadn't been powering down his box at night. This would seem to indicate that it's true.

FrankJo said:
If you didn't read these forums with geeks like you guys who know that, how would you get the download?
Normally, VOOM does software downloads when the STB is off (in standby), so that if you are watching TV late at night you would not be disturbed by the 20+ minute procedure. But if they decide that the update is very important, they can initiate a forced download, that will occur regardless of the state of your STB. It is really up to them.

The forced download was also used with the C Band receivers. I guess after so many attemps it was turned off to receive new firmware. There must be a code written into the target to initiate the shutdown of the STB

Well...

All I know is, when I had Voom installed, I did NOT turn off my stb at night (I don't typically) and I received 5.68. I know I had the older version since I checked around here before install.

I'm not totally sure it has to be off.

The Rickster

I'm absolutely, positively sure of 1 thing. If you usually do not turn off the STB, but you decide to turn it off for a night in hopes of getting new firmware or software, the push will not be done on that night.

I don't turn my STB off at night, and have gotten all the downloads. Maybe later than some other people--but it comes. By the time I get it, I'm usually aware of what to look out for, since there will be many forum members who will post their findings.

The Installs Inc. technician stopped by my house today and I asked her what the download procedure was. She stated the download happens on the weekend for the new software and that the receiver has to be in standby and the phone line plugged in. I asked about the phone line and it is her understanding that the software download comes through the phone line which I believe is wrong.

Indy said:
I asked about the phone line and it is her understanding that the software download comes through the phone line which I believe is wrong.
More misinformation. :mad: Where do these people come up with this stuff? :confused:

All I know is if you wait up all night you won't see either the download or Santa Claus. (It's via satellite not phone)

I don't understand why NOT turn off the STB..my remote turns all my components off, they still draw electricity all now have standby's..it's the old argument like leaving a compter onn all the time or shutting it down 1-2 a day?? i shut down

It's because the Program Planner does not default to Power On and it's a PITA to go through and change them all. I record most of the stuff I watch since I have very little time for TV and rarel is anything on when I want to watch. Hurry up PVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts