Turn On Audio Receiver and TV with one button

tmorgan

Original poster
Apr 28, 2014
United States
I have the Hopper and a Sony STRDN840 receiver which has hdmi i/o's. My Panasonic TV supports hdmi-cec. When I turn the TV off, the receiver turns off at the same time but when I turn the TV on, the receiver doesn't turn on. I have to push AUX and then the top power button. Any way to get the hopper remote to turn both devices on when pressing the TV power button?

I have the Hopper and a Sony STRDN840 receiver which has hdmi i/o's. My Panasonic TV supports hdmi-cec. When I turn the TV off, the receiver turns off at the same time but when I turn the TV on, the receiver doesn't turn on. I have to push AUX and then the top power button. Any way to get the hopper remote to turn both devices on when pressing the TV power button?

Have both off, and try pressing and releasing the SAT button at the top left. With HDMI-CEC, that is supposed to turn the Hopper/Joey and the television on at the same time. Granted, with the Sony receiver inline between the Hopper/Joey and the Panasonic TV, that may or may not work. Give it a try and see, though...

Have both off, and try pressing and releasing the SAT button at the top left. With HDMI-CEC, that is supposed to turn the Hopper/Joey and the television on at the same time. Granted, with the Sony receiver inline between the Hopper/Joey and the Panasonic TV, that may or may not work. Give it a try and see, though...

But let's all remember that Dish messed up HDMI-CEC a month or so after they had it working perfectly back in November. Used to be the remote's satellite power button turned on Hopper and TV then the TV power button on the remote turned off TV and Hopper. Now only the "on" part works but not the off.

Don't trust Dish that they maybe didn't mess something else up as it relates to HDMI-CEC and the remote functions. Been almost 5 months now and they still can't seem to find the working code they "misplaced" to put CEC back to normal!

I believe they changed the turn off TV & Sat functionality due to many complaints of people that wanted to listen to sat program or music with TV off, but every time you turn off the TV it turns off the Sat. You would have to go into Hopper each time and turn off HDMI-CEC just to accomplish it. I believe they also initiated a delayed turn off for the Joeys in case people hit the off button by accident.

I believe they changed the turn off TV & Sat functionality due to many complaints of people that wanted to listen to sat program or music with TV off, but every time you turn off the TV it turns off the Sat. You would have to go into Hopper each time and turn off HDMI-CEC just to accomplish it. I believe they also initiated a delayed turn off for the Joeys in case people hit the off button by accident.

Not sure that is true. That EACH time you had to turn off HDMI-CEC. You set it once. Either on or off. It's a shame that they removed the ability to turn TV off for what I have to believe is a small minority of people who have to turn the TV off to listen to music compared to the larger group who mostly watch TV. For us (and I know everyone is different) my wife likes the music (Sirius and Pandora) but likes to see the song titles and cover art at times. To be able to see who the artist is for new songs.

I know the argument goes both ways, but Dish is satellite TV with audio channels as a bonus. So logic states that they should have kept the good thing for TV viewers and those that want to have independent devices for music needs turn CEC off. Plus it's 2014. You would think there could be a way Dish could have a menu function that acts like a TV-only off signal music lovers could use to have the best of both worlds (send TV off signal through HDMI to TV but keep Hopper on). CEC for TV use and then use the menu "off" when wanting to listen to music.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)