Turne2 not working (Extending cables)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rafaelbarriola

Original poster
May 30, 2009
California
Turner2 not working (Extending cables)

Hi guys I'm new to this, but I tried to move my R16-500 box to another room by using just extra cables to extent it there, it worked for turner 1, but for turner 2 nothing seems to work, i tried switching the cables to check if turner 2 would work with turner 1 extension and I didn't work, I checked all cables with a digital multimeter and they all had signal flowing, the only way for me to be able to get turner 2 working is to bring the box back and connect it to the cables that the directv installer ran. If I use the extension cables only turner 1 works.

So my guess is that either my box is not accepting it or has to do with low signal, but before I run and get something for it I would like to know what you guys think

Last edited:
There's something wrong with the extension cables you used. Were they pre-built or did you make them up? In any case check them to see if the center conductor isn't shorted to the braid and that it is long enough to make contact in the receiver. Also, what are you using to connect the extension cable to the DirecTV lines?

BTW, it's tuner not turner. :)

There's something wrong with the extension cables you used. Were they pre-built or did you make them up? In any case check them to see if the center conductor isn't shorted to the braid and that it is long enough to make contact in the receiver. Also, what are you using to connect the extension cable to the DirecTV lines?

BTW, it's tuner not turner. :)

I'm using a regular extension adapter for both cables and the cables were pre-built from Ace Hardware, I'm sorry but you got me with the short to the braid, you mean shorter inside than the braid?

Thanks for the help!

If the cables are pre-built, then a short isn't going to be the problem.
Where are you connecting the extension cables?

Try connecting the cables directly to the dish or a multiswitch if one is being used.

If the cables are pre-built, then a short isn't going to be the problem.
Where are you connecting the extension cables?

Try connecting the cables directly to the dish or a multiswitch if one is being used.

I'm connecting my extension cables with adapters to the original cables ran by the installer, and after you first post I went to check and saw that the original cables had the inside cable going out of the braid and the ones I'm connecting to extend it have the inside cables shorter then the braid, if I take the box and connect to the original directv cables everything works fine. One more thing I notice is that the turner 1 cable works, but if I try to mess with it the signal goes out, and then I have to try to have it on a way that doesn't move and works.

I just did a test with an extra cabled I had, this cable had the same size of inside cable coming out like the directv one and it didn't work, I know for a fact that connecting the box to the original cables it works and that this new cable I tried works too, I have 3 extra adapters to try and none of them worked, eheh I have not ideas what to to anymore. :mad:

Are you using standard F/F/ barrel connectors for the adapters.

Can you get to the dish? If so, then try cabling directly to it with these extension cables.

Your mention that the cable works until you mess with it, tells me that the connector on the cable or the box is the problem.

Also, the center connector should not touch any part of the braid.

Are you using standard F/F/ barrel connectors for the adapters.

Can you get to the dish? If so, then try cabling directly to it with these extension cables.

Your mention that the cable works until you mess with it, tells me that the connector on the cable or the box is the problem.

Also, the center connector should not touch any part of the braid.

Doing that is not an option eheh I would like to try but now the cables a running thru the walls ehe, the connectors I'm using are like this one: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F5LEA0/ref=asc_df_B000F5LEA0811825?smid=A2JSBUBRVPP4SX&tag=shopzilla_rev_1108-20&linkCode=asn]Amazon.com: GE Coaxial Cable Extension Adaptor 2-pk. - 73203: Electronics[/ame]

All I can say now is to keep trying. It has to be something with the cabling since the units work fine as originally connected.

Anyone else want to jump in here and suggest something else?

All I can say now is to keep trying. It has to be something with the cabling since the units work fine as originally connected.

Anyone else want to jump in here and suggest something else?

Thanks for all the help, I'm out of ideas the only thing I haven't tried is to get a signal booster and test, I don't even know if I should, I cant try to use the extension cables directly from the dish now because they are inside the walls.

But again thanks for the help

If you have access to the dish, you could run the cables from the dish through a window as a test.

jdspencer I want to thank you for all the help and also tell you that all I needed was to reset the box, using the red button on the front, some guys at the directv forum told me to try and worked on the first try.

Thx again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)