Turning both tuners off from one remote?

itsonthedish

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
Is there a way to turn both tuners off at night instead of having to run downstairs to the tv2 location and using that remote?

Sure would be nice if there were.... If there is, I don't know about it.

Even hitting the power button on the box itself seems to return it to the 'state' it was in when it powered down.

You need to have both tuners turned off for the box to be able to get updates. Many other problems can occur when you leave your receiver active for too long. Don't do it.

Actually, you don't. The only time you have to both tuners off to receive updates is if you disable daily updates. As long as daily updates are enabled on the 522, regardless of whether either or both tuners are on, the receiver will power down, do the updates, and power up. If you disable daily updates, it will only update when both tuners are off.

Really? The 522 will actually just stop you from watching your show, grab a tuner to get an update, and install it? That's really poor design. At least it can be turned off.

At the risk of going back on-topic ;) : If you don't mind spending a few bucks, you could always get a second UHF remote for the upstairs.

Yes, since it occurs at 3am, most people don't see it. If you set the update for 7:05pm, at that time, it will popup a message saying "it's time to get it's updates. Is that okay ? Yes, No, Cancel" (not the exact wording, of course :) ). You MUST respond or it will default to "yes". You can of course tell it "No" and continue watching TV.

You can always change it to another time if you have a timer going. I like to record a program that happens to come on at 3 am so I just rolled it up to 5 am. It is really poor design since the feature can be disabled. If it didn't give you a choice, that would be a different story. And, like hall said, if you do happen to be watching something, you can just click No.

And be forewarned, if you click "No", you raise the chances of the 522 deciding that there're errors on your HD. The ONE time I wanted to keep watching TV, it told me, later that morning, that it had to wipe the drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)