turning legacy lnb's into dp lnb's

ramnet

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
Houston, TX
I don't plan to do this anytime soon, but I was just wondering if any such animal exists.

Is there a device (switch perhaps) that will combine the 13v and 18v H and V polarity's from a legacy dual LNBF and combine them on a single cable - essentially the reverse of the DP to legacy adapter. A DP receiver would then see the legacy LNBF as a DP LNBF, and you could use all the DP goodies on the market.

I'm sure DN doesn't make one, but a third party might.

Unless you enjoy Frankenstein-ing satellite gear as a hobby, why would you try that? It would be less hassle and probably cheaper to spend a few bucks (literally, a few) on a DP dual or $5-10 on a used DPP Twin.

Well, it's not really the most practical thing to do, but it would be useful for mixing DP and Legacy LNBF's together, not to mention allowing DP/DiSEqC switches/splitters/etc to be used (which are cheaper than legacy switches since they are more common) (If you're pointed at 5 sats with mixed equipment then it's cheaper to adapt part of the system than redo the whole thing - a real world example, albiet rare)

It's also useful when you're mixing DN and FTA and you don't want a huge investment to upgrade all your legacy equipment.

As for price, I can't imagine it costing more than one of these - the unit i'm thinking of would essentially be the same thing except each of the four output's has H+V transponder's mixed together - which should make it cheaper since the unit doesn't have to respond to 13v/18v voltage pulses from the receiver.

It's also useful when you're mixing DN and FTA and you don't want a huge investment to upgrade all your legacy equipment.

how would it be useful considering on a FTA system there is a handful (NASA, Angel One and a couple barker channels) in the clear. Always best to keep the FTA setup (30" dish, KU LNB etc) apart from the Dish setup

I mean FTA installation equipment (non-reciever's) - a DisEqC switch is much cheaper than a legacy DN switch, or for that matter a DP switch (which as far as I know is exactly like a DisEqC switch)

Besides, linear FTA lnb's are just like legacy DN lnb's as far as I know (as far as the switch is concerned, the linear and legacy circular lnb's are the same - H+V via 13/18v current). And there are other circular DBS Ku birds up there besides the DN one's. And what if all I want are those few channels off the DN Ku birds anyway (avoid adding a bigger dish elsewhere - I have limited space on the south side, and I don't want to bother with the motorized stuff)

Again, I know this isn't all that practical, but theoretically it could be done, and I'm just wondering if anyone's actually done it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)