TV Anywhere streaming problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

davidb78610

Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
Austin, TX
I am using the sling adapter on a 722. Speetest.net shows 5.0 mbps and .7 on both my computer and Iphone. But, when I connect to dishonline, I get the low bandwidth error message and streaming rates are only 200-400 kbps. I don't notice slow bandwidth with any other app. Calling Dish about this did not resolve anything.

Does anyone know why this may be occuring? I have an AT&T DSL connection and 2wire setup.
Thanks!

If you are trying to view the Sling Adapter remotely, then your upstream bandwidth (700k) is all you've got to work with. That is rather low. Here are the requirements. If you are trying to view the Sling Adapter over your local lan, then there is definitely something amiss because your ISP bandwidth doesn't come into play. I've seen that push 9Mbps.

No, I didn't realize being remote would make a difference but now that I think about it, DUH!!! I am connected to via DSL remotely, but my local is Cable modem (roadrunner) with about the same upload. I gues it is what is and upload speeds cannot be increased that much?
Dish's TV Everywhere commercials should divulge that if used remotely, expect crappy video quality.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, it's not very clear; we have to think about it. ;) If your Sling Adapter is at your DSL location, then it's upstream bandwidth is in play. At your place with the cable modem (remote viewing location), then it's downstream is in play. Probably that's entirely adequate; it's the upstream that bites most of us. I used to have DSL when it was called ADSL. The "A" is for asymmetric. For most people, most of the time, the upstream bandwidth is hardly used at all. It's only those of us with servers at home that need to look for better or even symmetric bandwidth.

3GS gives Low Bandwidth both when using 3G and WIFI

Just got the Sling Adapter - works okay on computers at home (both the pc that is connected to the router by CAT5 and the computer that connects by WIFI), but my iPhone 3GS complains about Low Bandwidth and needs to keep buffering (every 20 - 40 seconds . . .). The Router is a Linksys G and the DVR/Sling Adapter is connected via a Linksys Dual Wireless N (of course running in G mode because of the router). My ISP is Earthlink (cable modem) and I get 24Mbps down and 3 Mbps up (quite fast since I live in an older neighborhood and do not have much company on my node).

The first time I tried was using 3G and I figured that 3G just was just not fast enough. So I came home, went on WIFI and had the same problem. When on WIFI I should not be affected up ISP limitations (down or up). In either case, the speed between the DVR and the router is the same (and also the same when testing on the other computers).

So is the iPhone just crap? Might it help to upgrade the router to N? Could any router settings (ports, etc.) affect the performance either via 3G or WIFI (3G I could see, but WIFI . . .). My only real use for the Dish remote application is to watch DVR recordings while at the gym, so this is looking like a waste of time and effort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)