TV Changing channels by itself

chewy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Yes both of my recievers change channels all by them selves, 90% of the time to a mapped local channel that is 70 miles away(channel 22) . The other 10% it changes to channel 100. When this happens I loose FOX and ABC from my program guide. I do a soft reboot and I get them back. Voom doesn't know what causes this and Installs Inc. is scratching their heads also. Anybody got any ideas?
At least they gave me 2 monthes free programming for this hassel.

Both receivers??? Hrmmm...have you noticed anything else strange around the house like things moving around by themselves, water faucets turning on and off, lights flickering, rocking chairs rocking with no one in them, scratching noises in the walls...etc..??
Maybe instead of calling Voom you might wanna call a priest?? :eek:

LOL... You sound like the tech thats been out here replaceing the recievers :D

chewy said:
Yes both of my recievers change channels all by them selves, 90% of the time to a mapped local channel that is 70 miles away(channel 22) . The other 10% it changes to channel 100. When this happens I loose FOX and ABC from my program guide. I do a soft reboot and I get them back. Voom doesn't know what causes this and Installs Inc. is scratching their heads also. Anybody got any ideas?
At least they gave me 2 monthes free programming for this hassel.

You could be having power problems. Have you noted any other electrical issues, lights dimming, flickering, etc? Is there some high current 120v device being used (compressor, treadmill, wall air conditioner, sump pump)? Most devices that would draw down power are 240V and run off their own circuit (furnaces, central air conditioners, clothes dryers, stoves) because voltage spikes on the 240v circuits don't bother the 120v circuits much. Some user installed 120v products with large motors can draw the voltage down when starting and bother sensitive devices with computers in them.

My PC is plugged into a UPS system, and when we turn on the treadmill the voltage drops momentarily and the UPS beeps (indicating it handled a problem). So - if something might be doing that - and it may not happen every time - you may need to get a small UPS to plug the receiver(s) into.

I would suspect power problems too. For example, getting channel 100 after a power interruption is normal. Channel 22 would be more difficult to explain, may be some instantaneous power drop is causing that, who knows.

Another possible cause: RF interference. Do you have any RF remotes in the house by any chance?

Finally, assuming no one in your household have a habit of sitting on the remote ;), could the "2" button be firing on its own from time tot time? (Though if you have two remotes, this is unlikely).

Good suggestions on the power problem. Everytime my Heat pump kicks on the power does dim for a sec along with my wifes blow dryer(very noticable)
I will monitor the power surges and see if it affects my recievers.
Thanks for the tip guys.

Ilya said:
Another possible cause: RF interference. Do you have any RF remotes in the house by any chance?

Good point - these receivers are equipped to take a UHF remote. If anyone in your house is using any kind of UHF device then that could do it too. Cordless phones, cordless game controllers, wireless ethernet (Wi-fi), DirecTV remotes are some examples of things that could be bothering them. Since you probably don't have an antenna connected to the UHF remote jack, then the source would need to be within a few feet. Power would still be your primary suspect - but you may need to watch for it then note what everyone is doing at that moment...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)