Tv dx

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

k.r.

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
Floyd knobs indiana
Was courious if anybody here was into tv and radio dx..ive always enjoyd it... 16 uhf dipoles with grid reflector..wire quad for vhf high and a dipole cut for ch 2..

Back in the late '80's I had a 58ft tall mast, with a 91xg uhf only antenna on a rotor, and a uhf only Winegard 30db gain, 1db noise amp. This was in Bridgeport Michigan when we lived there. I could fairly often get watchable stations in Pennsylvania (aiming right through Canada airspace), and one time I even received a station in FLORIDA (1,100+ miles) and it was watchable. My location was a hot-spot for signals.

Where i live im ontop of a huge hill..one of the highest in my area..i look overtop of louisville ky from indiana...all my antennas are on my 2nd floor padio...its about 36 ft wide..i used to get clearwater florida ch 22 analog..i still get spain and mexico and cuba analog just on a dipole..everything else i do west virgina and ky tn following the mountins about every night and scary storms that i should be seeking shelter

During the summer i recieve alot of canada stations on my scanner tuneing like bout upto 4 ch above the us freq following the same spaceing..thats on a 8 quad stack for made for my 2 meter radio

Im tryn to send from my phone...i think it workd...its my homemade uhf...my vhf high and my ch 2 dipole in the pvc pipe wedged on the padio...i was hopeing to be able to upload video...i have videos of dx i take on my cell

I dont see why it wont let me send my pics..it acts like its going to then tells me my msg needs atleast so many charator then no pics are sent

I've been an avid TV DXer, although living in the San Francisco Bay Area doesn't provide much in the way of DX signals. We just don't get the skip and inversions that occur back in the Midwest and on the East Coast. I really miss the activity I received when I lived in the Chicago area.

I have a 10 element yagi for VHF high channels, two CM 4228's for UHF plus an Ability LP345F log periodic that covers the entire TV band along with two smaller Antennas Direct antennas, a C5 for VHF and an S-15 for UHF. I receive the local San Francisco Bay Area stations, of course, plus several from Sacramento/Stockton and from up north in Santa Rosa that are all in the 65 mile range.

The only DX I ever receive here are two UHF stations, KCVU 20 and KNVN 24, that transmit from the bluffs east of Red Bluff, CA, about 175 miles from here as the crow flies.

You can take a look at my web site if you'd like to check out some photos of the antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Larry
SF

Reminds me of an incident during my antenna theory class in college: design, theoretically assess, then build and test, and compare the results for UHF TV 15. Being the typical college kid, I waited until the last minute to build the thing on a Sunday night (before we did our directional testing on Monday morning...). Being late spring in Texas, I hit an amazing DX night - from Bryan, TX, I was picking up many stations depending on the direction, even being able to differentiate between 2 20s in the same general direction (KTXH in Houston and WBBH in Fort Myers Florida - as well as 26s - KRIV vs. WEVU) and 3 separate 25s (Waco, Victoria and Biloxi).

(Got a B+ on the project - only since I used the easiest design that would impedence match to the 300-Ohm input... - this was back in the 80s when we'd have to go to the library to research stuff and there wasn't an internet to look things up!)

J

TV Digital: A couple stations from MPLS/ST PAUL just after the 'digital conversion' deadline. ~265 mi.
TV Analog: TEXAS(many yrs ago) Used to see a Mankato MN station quite often.
CB: to the south,TEXAS. To the southeast, southern Quebec both @ 4 watts on a mobile.

UHF: Winegard PR-8800
VHF: Y5-2-6

Combined, then fed through a Radio Shack amp.

- Trip

Impressive results considering the Y5-2-6 is a low band VHF antenna.

I'd like to add a VHF high antenna to the set-up but I might try a DIY one first just for giggles.

Cheers, K

Last edited:
Impressive results considering the Y5-2-6 is a low band VHF antenna.

I'd like to add a VHF high antenna to the set-up but I might try a DIY one first just for giggles.

Cheers, K

The Y5-2-6 is for WBRA's awful signal, basically, and was installed before WSET returned to 13. Since the antenna is fixed toward Roanoke, using the Y5-2-6 for high VHF makes it seem somewhat more omni directional than the other antennas on their preferred bands, as I see WSKY/WNCT/WWBT very regularly even when the UHF bands in those directions are very poor with the PR8800 aimed at Roanoke.

Down the road it would be nice to put an antenna facing a different direction or even an omni of some type at my parents' house, but it's a lot of trouble for limited return, I think.

- Trip

- Trip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts