TV Input button

Bradp56

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
I have had dish in the past and when I pressed TV then Input, it would allow me to change the input on my tv so I can switch over to a dvd player or other device. I have the Hopper now and when I hit TV then Input it flashes both the TV button and the SAT button. What does this mean? Is there a way to use the TVs input button without two remotes?

Thank you;

Brad

It means your remote is in limited mode and the input button is disabled. Go to settings, remote manager and disable limited mode.

A friend of mine upgraded to a 2 hopper/ 2 joey setup this week (had VIP 722k & 222k). One hopper is in the basement - joey in the kitchen. The other hopper is set up in the living room and joey is in the bedroom. He went to watch a dvd in his bedroom and wasnt able to access it without unhooking the video cable from the joey because the input signal is being used and see both dvd and the dish channels as both are using video input instead of being on channel 60, 73 etc. This is an older tv with only one input.

I disabled limited mode, but it still uses the input. Is it possible to re-program dish to go through channel 60,73 etc instead of using the video input? I tried setting up the dvd through remote wizard but was not able to access it without using input. When I watch a dvd, I need to plug the yellow video cable into my tv and disconnect the yellow cable on my joey. When I want to watch tv, I have to hook the yellow cable into the joey and unhook the yellow cable from the dvd player which is hooked into the front of the tv.

Is this something I can do or will I need to have dish come out and fix the issue. Thanks for the help.

A friend of mine upgraded to a 2 hopper/ 2 joey setup this week (had VIP 722k & 222k). One hopper is in the basement - joey in the kitchen. The other hopper is set up in the living room and joey is in the bedroom. He went to watch a dvd in his bedroom and wasnt able to access it without unhooking the video cable from the joey because the input signal is being used and see both dvd and the dish channels as both are using video input instead of being on channel 60, 73 etc. This is an older tv with only one input.

I disabled limited mode, but it still uses the input. Is it possible to re-program dish to go through channel 60,73 etc instead of using the video input? I tried setting up the dvd through remote wizard but was not able to access it without using input. When I watch a dvd, I need to plug the yellow video cable into my tv and disconnect the yellow cable on my joey. When I want to watch tv, I have to hook the yellow cable into the joey and unhook the yellow cable from the dvd player which is hooked into the front of the tv.

Is this something I can do or will I need to have dish come out and fix the issue. Thanks for the help.

You can fix it by getting a new TV. :) Or you can get an RF modulator at Walmart and make your DVD available on channel 3 or 4. Hoppers and Joeys don't modulate channels like 60 and 73. There's nothing Dish can do for you on this one.

You can fix it by getting a new TV. :) Or you can get an RF modulator at Walmart and make your DVD available on channel 3 or 4. Hoppers and Joeys don't modulate channels like 60 and 73. There's nothing Dish can do for you on this one.

Going to my office is a Joey, via a HDMI extender and the RGB goes out to a modulator on ch 4 which feeds the older tv's in my spa room and kitchen. All the remotes work like a charm,but you can't move them from one room to another as the TV's are programmed into the TV button and that makes them work just where they are supposed to. The SAT side can move around, but TV only works for the one it is programmed for. I moved my Joey to where the remotes work from each place and had to purchase 2 extra "40" remotes and a HDMI extender. The 40 was from ebay, shipping included for under $15 each and the HDMI was the lowest cost one from Amazon. The HD is fine from that. I have about 30 feet of CAT5 on that HDMI extender.

If your friend is using composite cables from the Joey and the dvd player, you can get a composite A/B switch at Radio Shack. That way all he has to do is flip the switch.

If your friend is using composite cables from the Joey and the dvd player, you can get a composite A/B switch at Radio Shack. That way all he has to do is flip the switch.

I forgot about those. Gotta get one with a remote though. :)

More good info for me. Dish phone tech support just said the tv input button no longer worked like it did on my 722 when I asked them this question after upgrading to the Hopper a couple of weeks ago. Thanks!

Thank you! I was going to ask this question as well

Wow, I have been on the phone with Dish multiple times to try and get this fixed. They have sent me now 2 replacement remotes as the "fix". Finally gave up, came here and did a search. Now I have a total of three (finally) fully working remotes in my family room. Dish would save money if their techs knew this "trick". I was sent over to a second level tech, and even they sent me a new remote to try and fix this "problem".

Wow, I have been on the phone with Dish multiple times to try and get this fixed. They have sent me now 2 replacement remotes as the "fix". Finally gave up, came here and did a search. Now I have a total of three (finally) fully working remotes in my family room. Dish would save money if their techs knew this "trick". I was sent over to a second level tech, and even they sent me a new remote to try and fix this "problem".

Techs should know that (all of them I know do). As a tech (the folks who do the installs) we're supposed to put the remotes in limited mode if nothing else is connected to the TV, we usually do it all the time. At least most techs I know do. If I remember correctly, the Hopper/Joey's set it that way by default.

It's the CSRs that probably don't know (or it isn't on their troubleshooting list, so they don't bother with it). I don't know what sort of training they get, but from what I know they usually follow some sort of script or guideline for that stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts