TV interference?

Suppafreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Is this possible? I have a ViP622 and everything was OK until recently when I noticed that the receiver does not responds to any remote control commands for the first 5 min or so, after receiver has been turned ON. I tried 3 different remotes and results are the same. So I call dish tech support. They told me that my TV is interfering with the DVR. The TV has been serviced recently and the technician replaced one of the boards inside the TV. The remote woes started after the board was replaced. So, was the Dish tech right? If yes, then why replacing the board would all of sudden cause the interference and how can this be fixed?

Thanks.

Putting a coax lead on the uhf antenna for the remote will not work if it is for the ir remote 1. And I believe it is LCD tv's that can interfere with the remote on warm up. You might try getting a second uhf remote from ebay and change tv 1 remote to uhf.

It is true for the IR remote. My VIP622 wouldn't response to the IR remote (TV-1). Dish told me that some LCD sets causes IR interference for 20-30 minutes. They sent me another UHF remote and it works for TV-1.

you can get kits to use a uhf remote on a 301 or 311

I know Dish has one available, but the only one I have seen converts that UHF signal back to IR at the receiver. It has a little repeater that you place in front of the IR eye on the receiver. I would imagine the TV would still interfere with that.:confused:

I know Dish has one available, but the only one I have seen converts that UHF signal back to IR at the receiver. It has a little repeater that you place in front of the IR eye on the receiver. I would imagine the TV would still interfere with that.:confused:

I now have added to my MX-850 universal remote the RF receiver that converts the RF to IR with the little repeater. It is working fine with the VIP622. Seems like if your close enough, like right against the VIP622, the IR works.

BTW, I have a 37" Sharp Aquos LC-37D4xU. I'm not sure if it's a D40, D42, etc.

I think I have noticed a similar phenomena with my 40" Sony Bravia LCD TV (KDLV40XBR1) and my 622. I'll have to pay more attention to it. I was attributing it to weak batteries in the remote (that I never replaced!) and/or ambient light interference. But just as I would be getting pi$$ed off enough to get out of the hottub and do something about it, the problem would "fix" itself. (D'ohh !!)

What is the technical reason for it? Sounds like the backlight tube is rich in IR during warm-up and that gradually diminishes? I haven't heard of this situation prior to this post, but it might make sense...

Dish offered me the UHF remote also. However, I declined for now because I am using a Philips TSU7000 universal remote. It has a UHF adapter that I can buy, but I have not looked in to that solution yet.

It just one thing after another; there was no interference before the TV got serviced. Frustrating.

Problem fixed.

Applied 3 layers of Scotch Tape on the 622 IR receiver area and colored the top layer using a black marker. Interference is gone.

Well, it's all relative. My HT location is in our greenhouse (16'x14'x9', mostly glass). That's also where the hottub is located. Since the room is otherwise full of plants and critters (some untentional!), there really is nowhere to sit, so the tub becomes the prime viewing location. If I'm alone, then I often use my pool floating chaise lounge in the tub (it fits!), grab a few beers and the remotes, and float in the tub while grooving to Rave or whatever. The screen is about 8' away, reasonable. I only need to get out to take a pi$$, and the small fridge is conveniently located right next to the hallway to the bathroom so I can reload on my way back to the tub. All is well, right? Most of the time! I often can enjoy this set-up only in the evenings on weekends, when I am otherwise exhausted from a long week or chores or whatever. So I have had a tendency to drift off to sleep in that chaise. You can guess some of the other things that have happened as a result! I have had to repair/replace more than one remote control that got an accidental dump into the tub, and after about the 6th beer spill or so, we're looking at a water change! I'm also afraid that the LCD screen will suffer from excessive UV exposure, so I devised a cardboard cover for it that I need to remember to put in place. I am also concerned about all the equipment operating in such a humid environment - in the winter after I have had the cover off for about 3-4 hours, it actually rains in that area from all the condensation on the glass. But so far, no identified problems with that. The 622 is its own heater, so I'm sure it keeps quite dry.

In balance, a good situation, but - alas - one that I can't enjoy nearly as often as I wish I could...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)