TV Japan someday?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Anybody with any inside info on whether DirecTV has any plans to add TVJapan, or some other Japanese-language programming, to their lineup any day soon?

I'd love to switch to D*, especially since I read they are going to finally introduce a true 30-sec skip to their HD-DVR. (Not to mention all those HD channels). But, no TVJapan is a deal-breaker.

Anybody with any inside info on whether DirecTV has any plans to add TVJapan, or some other Japanese-language programming, to their lineup any day soon?

I'd love to switch to D*, especially since I read they are going to finally introduce a true 30-sec skip to their HD-DVR. (Not to mention all those HD channels). But, no TVJapan is a deal-breaker.

What carrier do you have in the United States that has Japan TV via satellite (Dish Networks a few channels)? You don't appear to be Japanese. Are you trying to learn Japanese?

DirecTV carries mostly English and Spanish since in the United States at the moment these are the dominant languages. Spanish people are the majority in California, Texas, Arizona, NYC, Florida and Many parts of Michigan (most of the largest states). It is believed they will be the complete majority by 2050 in the United States and Caucasians will be the minority. So don't be surprised unless there is a lot of Japanese immigration for it to be profitable for a carrier to have Japanese programming. It's all about Capitalism and profitability.

Eventually expect once the Spanish do become majority for them to make the US a Spanish speaking country. In my old high school that I graduated from nearly 20 years ago, the next graduating class and future graduating class must be able to speak Spanish to graduate!

You might want to look at the FTA (free to air) section of this forum and try to get the satellites for Japanese transponders that are free. You might be able to have a professional satellite company setup the dish to get these stations you want, and buy a Pace HD DVR for programming. In fact if you travel to Japan, buy the satellite equipment there and bring it back to the US, just declare it, as long as it doesn't decrypt pay tv services, it's legal. You would save a ton on bucks if you imported it from Japan from a vacation in that country.

If you like Japanese very much, move to Japan. If you have Dish they have a great HD DVR they maybe a take over target with AT&T and perhaps they will add or remove some of the lineup.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I’m a bit surprised that DirectTV does not offer any Japanese programming. I know it is provided on E*
I had to take 2 years of a foreign language to graduate with an advanced diploma. Guess what language I took? Yeap Japanese and I am not Japanese. Back in 1994, Japanese language was a choice for business. Now, the language choice is Chinese. If you can speak multi languages more power to you.

One reason why D is not providing Japanese language is what the previous user has pointed out not enough customer base to be profitable, or cannot sign up new providers due to contract or all good providers are already signed up with E*.

I’m a bit surprised that DirectTV does not offer any Japanese programming. I know it is provided on E*
I had to take 2 years of a foreign language to graduate with an advanced diploma. Guess what language I took? Yeap Japanese and I am not Japanese. Back in 1994, Japanese language was a choice for business. Now, the language choice is Chinese. If you can speak multi languages more power to you.

One reason why D is not providing Japanese language is what the previous user has pointed out not enough customer base to be profitable, or cannot sign up new providers due to contract or all good providers are already signed up with E*.

Yes some good points, but at the moment I think it's only Dish Network and that is limited a channel or two, and rumor has it that AT&T is buying them. Would AT&T keep it if not profitable? Other carriers like Verizon FiOS, Comcast, etc do not offer Japan TV yet, since there are over 150 languages, it would be difficult to offer them all to satisfy those with desires to learn 5 or six languages. Cable companies or Verizon FiOS could realistically by market, if a particular region has a large percentage of Asians then it is probably doable.

Being in America however all those 150+ languages, and immigrants who speak all those varied languages could have an argument to carry that programming, but for satellite companies like DirecTV it would be too many satellite launches required to do that.

When my wife was still alive we had Japan TV on Dish. It was $30a month just for that one channel. She loved it though so we had to pay. We had it for free on C-band before they went exclusively with Dish.

What carrier do you have in the United States that has Japan TV via satellite (Dish Networks a few channels)? You don't appear to be Japanese. Are you trying to learn Japanese?
How do you know how I appear? Do you have a magic computer?

I have had TVJapan for years with Comcast, and years before that with Dish. BTW, Dish doesn't "have a few channels". They have one Japanese-language channel, and its name is TVJapan.

DirecTV carries mostly English and Spanish since in the United States at the moment these are the dominant languages. Blah blah. Unrelated filler. Yadda yadda.
Thanks for the ethnicity lesson. I'm aware of the demographics of the US, and the International programming choices of D*.

You might want to look at the FTA (free to air) section of this forum and try to get the satellites for Japanese transponders that are free. ...In fact if you travel to Japan, buy the satellite equipment there and bring it back to the US, just declare it, as long as it doesn't decrypt pay tv services, it's legal.
I can see you don't know much about satellite footprints. The Asian FTA satellites are not receivable in North America. (Although, much non-Japanese Asian programming is available on NA FTA satellites) I am quite familiar with FTA, as I own an FTA system with motorized dish. The only Japanese language channel available via FTA in North America is on C-band. Not possible for me.

If you like Japanese very much, move to Japan. If you have Dish they have a great HD DVR they maybe a take over target with AT&T and perhaps they will add or remove some of the lineup.
WTF?

It's profitable enough for E*, as well as the many cable and iptv systems that carry it. No reason it wouldn't be profitable for D*.

Other carriers like Verizon FiOS, Comcast, etc do not offer Japan TV yet, since there are over 150 languages, it would be difficult to offer them all to satisfy those with desires to learn 5 or six languages.
Verizon FIOS and Comcast do carry TVJapan, as does AT&T U-Verse, which sort of renders your entire argument moot. I see your lack of knowledge of FTA is only equaled by your lack of knowledge knowledge of DBS, Cable, and IPTV programming. And, what does learning a language have to do with anything?

When my wife was still alive we had Japan TV on Dish. It was $30a month just for that one channel. She loved it though so we had to pay. We had it for free on C-band before they went exclusively with Dish.
It's $25 now, and no longer exclusively with Dish. In fact, it's available on C-band again. (Or, that could be NHK World, almost the same thing.) But, I really couldn't get away with a C-band dish on the roof.

Sorry to hear about your wife. My wife couldn't do without TVJapan, as well, even though we also have a Slingbox in Japan, hooked up to a DVR at her mom's house, allowing her to watch all sorts of programming in addition to the NHK programming on TVJapan. (One of those fancy Japanese DVR's that JTN was rambling on about above.)

I suppose if the quality of the soon-to-be-released SlingCatcher is good enough, we won't need TVJapan. Her mom has a fiber ISP, so the upload speed is quite good, usually, enabling excellent PQ. But, the SlingPlayer's max resolution, while looking good on a PC display, would look crappy on a larger TV. I would think the SlingCatcher would offer the same rez as the SlingPlayer, since it's probably in the SlingBox's firmware.

u could always watch "online" for free!!

TV JAPAN: 24/7 Japanese Broadcasting Channel
Would you care to tell me how, as it isn't possible from their website? (I already have their English homepage bookmarked. But, thanks for the link anyway.)

Anyway, if anybody gets whiff of any plans by D* to carry TVJapan, or some new Japanese-language channel(s), please post here, or PM me.

Thanks.

Reactions: salyavin
How do you know how I appear? Do you have a magic computer?

I have had TVJapan for years with Comcast, and years before that with Dish. BTW, Dish doesn't "have a few channels". They have one Japanese-language channel, and its name is TVJapan.

Thanks for the ethnicity lesson. I'm aware of the demographics of the US, and the International programming choices of D*.

I can see you don't know much about satellite footprints. The Asian FTA satellites are not receivable in North America. (Although, much non-Japanese Asian programming is available on NA FTA satellites) I am quite familiar with FTA, as I own an FTA system with motorized dish. The only Japanese language channel available via FTA in North America is on C-band. Not possible for me.

WTF?

It's profitable enough for E*, as well as the many cable and iptv systems that carry it. No reason it wouldn't be profitable for D*.

Verizon FIOS and Comcast do carry TVJapan, as does AT&T U-Verse, which sort of renders your entire argument moot. I see your lack of knowledge of FTA is only equaled by your lack of knowledge knowledge of DBS, Cable, and IPTV programming. And, what does learning a language have to do with anything?

It's $25 now, and no longer exclusively with Dish. In fact, it's available on C-band again. (Or, that could be NHK World, almost the same thing.) But, I really couldn't get away with a C-band dish on the roof.

Sorry to hear about your wife. My wife couldn't do without TVJapan, as well, even though we also have a Slingbox in Japan, hooked up to a DVR at her mom's house, allowing her to watch all sorts of programming in addition to the NHK programming on TVJapan. (One of those fancy Japanese DVR's that JTN was rambling on about above.)

I suppose if the quality of the soon-to-be-released SlingCatcher is good enough, we won't need TVJapan. Her mom has a fiber ISP, so the upload speed is quite good, usually, enabling excellent PQ. But, the SlingPlayer's max resolution, while looking good on a PC display, would look crappy on a larger TV. I would think the SlingCatcher would offer the same rez as the SlingPlayer, since it's probably in the SlingBox's firmware.

Would you care to tell me how, as it isn't possible from their website? (I already have their English homepage bookmarked. But, thanks for the link anyway.)

Anyway, if anybody gets whiff of any plans by D* to carry TVJapan, or some new Japanese-language channel(s), please post here, or PM me.

Thanks.

It's clear you really just like to aggravate and don't really care about programming. You already know the answer to your question, so why ask it? Please don't post things and ask questions of people here when you already know the answer just to get higher numbers of post under your belt. I will try to respect your "Aurhori-tay!"

BTW keep Comcast since they apparently have the programming you want, and you get bundled discounts. Also eventually all Comcast HD DVR's and standard definition DVR's will have the option of the Tivo GUI updated by firmware or you can keep the original Comcast GUI, it will work on all their Motorola equipment.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

I worked for the Census 2000 and let me tell you most Spanish say they are Caucasian when in fact they are not, so basically the Census is moot. The entire numbers are inaccurate and skewed on heritage in the United States. You don't have to be agreeable, but I know eventually you will see by 2050 you will be kissing the feet of the Spanish, when America is controlled by them.

Last edited:
It's clear you really just like to aggravate and don't really care about programming. You already know the answer to your question, so why ask it? Please don't post things and ask questions of people here when you already know the answer just to get higher numbers of post under your belt. I will try to respect your "Aurhori-tay!"

:rolleyes:
What's clear is that I wanted to know if there was a chance that D* might add TVJapan. I do not know the answer to that question, or I wouldn't have asked it.

What is also clear is that you know nothing about TVJapan, who carries it, why people watch it, the number of Asians in America, FTA, Cable TV, and probably many, many other things.

It has nothing to do with my "authori-tay". It has to do with your ignorance. Everything you posted in this thread was incorrect, irrelevant, insulting, or some combination of the above. I highly suggest that if you do not want people pointing out your errors, then you should not post erroneous information. Pretty simple.

What's clear is that I wanted to know if there was a chance that D* might add TVJapan. I do not know the answer to that question, or I wouldn't have asked it.

What is also clear is that you know nothing about TVJapan, who carries it, why people watch it, the number of Asians in America, FTA, Cable TV, and probably many, many other things.

It has nothing to do with my "authori-tay". It has to do with your ignorance. Everything you posted in this thread was incorrect, irrelevant, insulting, or some combination of the above. I highly suggest that if you do not want people pointing out your errors, then you should not post erroneous information. Pretty simple.

Your entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with you. You appear to project the personality of an educated person by gloating, so why if you are so smart do you need help here?

BTW I did PM you the costs for programming as you asked for, with URL's to compare packages and pricing. Hopefully this helps you, but I again believe you know how to get this information.

Have a good day anyway.

I'm confused as to why you PM'd programming costs to me, as I never requested them from you, or anyone else for that matter.

Back on topic...I am still interested on whether anyone has heard anything about D* having plans to add any Japanese-language programming. So, if anybody hears anything, please PM me. Thanks.

Anyways, just wondering, is DTV going to add the same International channels that Dish Network is offering right now? I am sure it wouldn't be too hard for DTV getting those channels, also its a bummer that people need two satellite dish to get internationals.

I did email TVJapan. And, they said it was up to D*. That leads me to believe that TVJapan is not exclusive to E*, as far as dbs goes. (Obviously it's not exclusive in general, as Camcast, Verizon, ATT, and probably others carry it via cable and fiber.)

Come on D*. Just add TVJapan already!

WTF....All this for Thanksgiving?
Thanks for the Census update. Maybe we should hurry up and finish the wall so we can keep our English speaking channels. Maybe if we...oh never mind, I don't feel like getting banned today.
I know I would be intersted in different cultural channels to see what the differences are on the programs. I only speak english so if the language was converted or had the English wording scrolled on he bottom of the screen, I would be interested in learning and watching different countries channels. I think there is enough market here for Japanese channels.

Telling the OP to move to Japan? lol There's no need to condescending to the OP. There are quite a few people that would like to see some Japanese programming on Directv myself included.

I emailed Directv about two years ago and they said they were going to get programming in the summer the year I emailed them but it never happened for whatever reason. They have Chinese channels and others but no Japanese yet. /boggle

Telling the OP to move to Japan? lol There's no need to condescending to the OP. There are quite a few people that would like to see some Japanese programming on Directv myself included.

I emailed Directv about two years ago and they said they were going to get programming in the summer the year I emailed them but it never happened for whatever reason. They have Chinese channels and others but no Japanese yet. /boggle

Well shouldn't it be ethical to offer all foreign programming, since America is a melting pot, and many colleges offer language training in all 150+ languages that many of various heritages speak.

If we are going to overlook the reasonable amount of subscribers to support this for DirecTV's bottom line, then DirecTV should not discriminate, and offer all 150+ languages on it's programming service to be fair to all right? However to support this, DirecTV will have to send up many more satellites, increasing costs for all to be fair in offering all programming to represent all the different cultures in the United States, ignore majority.

Gary already knew the answers to his questions so I was annoyed that he would post this to begin with, I feel his goal was to aggravate, he claims to be ivy league educated and has been with this site for years and has many posts under his belt. Gary should no how to research and find all the answers to his questions. Gary has demonstrated that even if you have a graduate level education, you are not necessarily as intelligent as those who don't have a graduate education.

JTN - That's quite an imagination you got there, or just a serious lack of reading comprehension. No offense, but are you crazy, or just kinda dumb? (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

To the rest of you/us who would like to see D* add TV Japan, I suggest we all email D* through the link on their website, and request it. The more they get, the better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)