TV Nets Cluttered Shows With Ads To Make Up For Lost Viewers In Q4

Radio does this with songs, in fact even some talk shows.
Most talk radio 'clocks' are in the 15 to 17 minute per half hour range per actual "break" time....
Typically, if the station does its own or has a news affiliate, the news plus ads lasts usually 6-7 minutes. The first segment goes roughly 10-12 minutes. Then a break of 4-5 mins. Two to four mins then break for the bottom of the hour news and ads.
Even though I like what the guy has to say and he had god guests, I can no longer tolerate the Sean Hannity show. That show's clock is insufferable.
From the top of the hour, it is 7 minutes before programming. The longest segment of any hour is the first. That lasts about 12- 14 mins. Then it's down hill from there.
The show goes to break until about 28 mins after the hour. Then a 45 second "billboard", then to break for the bottom of the hour. Usually comes back on at 37 past the hour. The last 8 mins of the hour is also in break.
I once heard Howie Rose, then of WFAN in New York say "it's a good news/bad news thing. The good news is there are more listeners. The bad news is we are selling more ads" which translates to more time in breaks.
Ya just can't win.

Reactions: Tampa8
I can see mounting frustration with pay tv viewers being bombarded with commercials. The result will be far fewer people actually viewing those ads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)