tv overide 811 hd settings

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nark

Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
i have a toshiba 30hfx84 and i was watching OTA local HD football sunday and monday night and the picture was simply amazing-superb-etc...but today I found my 811 receiver was set for 480p HD...did my tv over ride the box setting and go to 1080i or 740p or was my local picture that good on 480p? I cant seem to figure out if the tv over rides the box and my eyes are not good enough to see the diff in the box HD channles such as hdnet etc...Instead of waiting till next weekend, I hope one of you guys can enlighten me on this and on how the box in general works with the tv in deceiding what format to show-because the 811 manual is pretty useless
thanks
bob
the only reason Im asking is can it be possible to get even a better picture this comming weekend?

Welcome to SatelliteGuys Bob,

This is a question that many users hold different opinions on. Just a reminder that 480p is the progressive scan resolution used on common progressive DVD players.

I leave my 811 set to 1080i...I feel the picture is best at this setting, then again this is my own opinion and not all share it.

Welcome to 811hood.
Jason

it just seems that the 480p is over ridden when Im watching local ota HD programming... my screen will be the 4x3 with bars on the side, then monday night football comes on and bam..the screen goes 16x9 and the PQ turns astoundingly good-all at the default 480p of the 811-Ill check it out tonite with some local HD-

The reason Im concerned is that I get a little strip of light that runs up the right border of my set when I bump up the 811 to 720/1080-Its tiny but bugs me-when I leave it in 480 it aint there.Toshiba 30hfx84 with component from the 811-

You may need to adjust your 811. You can adjust the screen up/down left/right. When you have the black bars before monday night football, you are watching 480i upconverted to 480p by the 811, then when monday night football starts you get 720p/1080i converted to 480p which is much better quality than upconverted 480i. Nothing will 'over-ride' the 811 box, if you set it to 480p, that is what the output will always be. To make it more interesting, your tv may be upconverting that 480p to something else, like 1080i.

hehe you know my tv has that crystal scan so it goes like this-football in 720p to my 811 set to 480p to tv, TV upconverts 480p to 720p due to the crystal scan-so what you are telling me is that I might even get a better picture if I set my 811 to 720p when watching football?

From the Toshiba site:

CrystalScan HDSC™ upconverts all video signals (including 480i/p) to 1080iHD resulting in a significant reduction in
jagged line artifacts creating the sharpest, most realistic picture possible from every source. For users who want to
display a progressive scan image from a progressive scan source, selectable 540p is available via the on-screen menu.

I have the 34HF84 and am wondering what the best HD setting is also. With the 480p HD looks great. At 720p & 1080i the picture looks great also but SD programming has grey bars on side including the program guide.

half the fun is playing with this new set-I just need to leave it alone and watch it
one more question thing; when I set the 811 box to 720p and then go to the tv input setting screen of either 540 or 1080 and switch between them, nothing happens and there is no change to the screen. When I set the 811 box to 480p and then goto the tv input screen and switch between 1080 and 540 the sceen goes blank for a second and then readjusts itself-it changes-I think the tv is upconverting the signal to 720p. same with the 1080 setting on the box-no screen adjustment when I switch from 1080/540.

The tv makes no adjustment when the box is set at 720 or 1080 and does when its set to 480-so I think when the box is at 720 the set is at 720 no matter what setting you use at the TV input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)