Please reply by conversation.

pwrsurge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2007
Canada
Hi,

For anyone able to receive Telstar 12 @ 15W, can you check to see if TV Pampa on TP 12081 H 3510 is still on? It has been gone over here since late last week it seems. I tried doing a blind scan and found no new channels. Other channels on this satellite still work fine so it's not an issue with my system.

Regards,

PwrSurge

Yea, just checked, that TP is down. Other TPs comming in fine.

On the subject of 15w, does anyone get sound on RTVGE 11965 H 14712 ?

Last edited:
Wonder how tall a tower you'd have to have to see that sat. Anyone know how to calculate this?

Use Dish Pointer to calculate elevation and direction for your area. Here is a example from Madison Wi.

satpointWi.jpg

Once you know what direction sight up the edge of a digital level and look at the tree line or other obstruction in that direction, lock and read the minimum elevation to clear that obstruction.

833a7673-0fc0-46e5-9048-df36f26acf24_300.jpg

Madison calls for an elevation of only 2.6º to see 15w . Even if your horizon is clear, the terrestrial noise will drown you out below 3º.

I just barely squeak in at 5º in Michigan. I use an inverted 1.2m Channel Master to look that low.

02-08-12_1732.jpg

But what is the height of the tower needed to see that angle? I am at the "top" of a 1650 foot hill. Dishpointer shows the same elevation for 1/4 mile South and 1/4 mile down as it does for my place. Also ... the "hills" East of me are at the horizon using a surveyors transit -- and they show below 'zero'.

I think that is a valid question. My math skills have diminished with disuse. If I read the scale on thew transit correctly, I can see almost 3 degrees below the zero.

Which then asks the question, is the takeoff angle (elevation) given at sea level or is it at 2100 feet? If at sea level then my "Tower" is 2100 feet up.... If at mean terrain or river level then what is my "tower" height? ---- Then back to the question: Does it mater?

Last edited:
I'm not sure any amount of math or tower height will solve this. The sat is on the other side of the planet from Washington and is below the horizon.
Here is a coverage map for Telestar 12. Doesn't look good for anyone West of Wisconsin.

north-south-america.png

You'd need a tall tower. Standing on the ground, the horizon is about 5 kilometers away. As you get higher, you obviously see further "below the horizon." But even at the top of the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world, you've only extended your vision by about 110 kilometers.

I was being a bit facetious, as Ice's HOA wouldn't permit a huge tower at his place no matter what, let alone the Burj Khalifa. But he said "sometimes it would be nice to have access to more Atlantic sats" and I figured, some people look at birds they can't see and say, why? Others dream of things that never were and say, why not?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)