This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

TV Set Question - Is It Worth The Upgrade?

duckydan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I currently have a 55" Sony KDF-55E2000 LCD TV. It has 720p/1080i resolution but from my research and comparisons that doesn't tend to mean much anyway based on my viewing distance. I am looking at a panasonic plasma tv which has the same resolution but a 15000:1 contrast ratio and on all of the setups I have seen looks phenomenal (though in store where it has been tweaked to look that way.) Is it worth it to "upgrade" to a plasma for blu-ray movies and xbox 360 gaming or am I good to stay where I am at? (My tv looks good but plasmas that I have seen tend to be brighter and more vibrant, at least in the setups that I have seen in stores)

Panasonic will kill Sony any day, but it's up to you whether or not you really need to upgrade.

Plasmas are better viewing off center than your lcd projection. Be careful of looking at the hdtv in a b&m store. They have it torched to the max on brightness and contrast unless it has been calibrated. Play with the menu a bit. The lighting in the store will be different in your home, so take that into account. Why don't you buy a smaller 42 in. and take it home for a few days, try it out then take it back. Make sure they do have a 10 or 15 return on the set with no charges. If you like it , you then can shop around for a good price and size.

I have the 46" E2000. While its been a great tv for what i paid ($1300), its time to upgrade. Im looking hard at either a 50" Panny 85u or a 46" XBR4 Sony. The Panny is leading about 60/40 right now

My biggest issue with the E2000 series is the more brighted you make it, the more it washes out the colors. I've had enough and am ready to spend a little more on my next tv.

I had a 42" and it wasn't big enough for me (hence why I have a 55") I am looking for something that is brighter and has a bit more pop than the sony which is why I am looking at a few different panasonic models and one hitachi... still up to my wife to veto it but it never hurts to look.