tv shouldn't be this difficult....

I get installed with directv again tomorrow morning. their generous discounts for 2years and prepaid gift cards end up paying me back the ETF and more over time.
Our buddy from southeastern Kentucky is going back to Directv, Hipkat. I assumed their installer wouldn't mind using new cables. I bet he will hear the problems jct21 was having with his current setup.

they assured me it was indeed a software problem during the latest 301 release. informed me it was a very isolated issue only affecting a small amount of customers.
Software? I am very skeptical of that claim. I have no such problem w/301. I think Dish should send out a manager to make sure the cables are done right.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The problem with that is the SWM Splitter DTV uses vs the Solo Hub for Dish.
That is why I said to make sure you know where every cable goes, so the entire system could be completely unhooked and then hooked back up. I would be watching the installer the entire time the new system was being put in, so I would know what to look for. Label each cable, and label each port on the splitter, etc. so you know what cable goes back where. It may also require some barrel connectors and possibly even some short RG-6 jumper cables to get everything hooked back up for Dish, depending on where the Directv cables are located. I never said that it would be practical to do this, just that it is possible. In this situation, I would want to know whether the new wiring would fix the Dish issues. Just out of curiosity, if for no other reason.

Plus, he'd have to do this before activating the receivers for DTV and signing the work order
My suggestion was to wait until after the Directv system is fully installed, and the installer has left. jct21 is already willing to eat one ETF, with or without the promo discounts and gift cards:
I'm just so aggravated with the whole thing I'm willing to eat the ETF with or without special pricing & gift cards from another provider.
So, it doesn't really matter which ETF would have to be eaten. Here is a tip: keep the Directv service long enough to make sure you get the gift card. That gift card could just as easily go toward the Directv ETF. Also, Directv has an unadvertised Family programming package for only $29.99 per month. (The price may have gone up since I had Directv, but that was the price at the time.) This package could help ride out any contract term, rather than eat the ETF. (Again, make sure you get the gift card before downgrading your package, though.) Dish also has some low-price package options, plus you can even put the Dish account on Pause for only $5 per month for a limited time. So, it is not like you would have to pay full price to keep both services active while you are deciding which service you want to keep. Just some things to think about, if you actually want to keep your Dish service and/or give Dish another chance.

yesterday was a long day to say the least.

first of all directv showed up around 745am for the install. they ran all new wires and left my dish system wiring in tact as i requested.

after several hours of tv viewing and software updates for the genie, curiosity got the best of me and i just had to hook up my dish to the new wiring. I had it in mind to leave my dish hooked up until I started getting error messages and random reboots.

I got it all hooked up and for about 2 hours it worked normally. the hopper had a random reboot and it started getting the same issues happening all over again. I left it hooked up the rest of the day and all night last night and this morning the 0 of 0 tuners were back on not only 1 joey but both. had to reboot to gain live tv access. I tried the hopper apps again and experienced the same issue of crashing each time on demand is accessed. the joeys required rebooting after exiting each app to gain live tv. the only app I was able to access on the hopper the first try was netflix, but after closing it out caused a diagnostics popup causing reboot.

I'm gonna switch it all back to directv this morning and take down the dishnetwork dish and pole. I think this rules out a wiring problem. maybe??? at this point I just don't know. perhaps its a combination of software and wiring. perhaps is a bad hopper that dish, on multiple occasions, & many requests, are unwilling to replace. sad thing is, I have the dish protection plan. I've spent hours on phone and webchat with dish with no success. I wanted this to work. I had dish about 4 moths & change, but for some reason its just not working out.

directv brought me the wireless genie 2 but I refused. I had that once before during its beta release and it was awful. my only other option was a hr44 so I took that one. no 54's on the truck. I had the 44 for many years and it worked without problems. I hope this one is just as reliable. the only thing that worries me with directv is their current state of ownership and whether the new owners are gonna work to make it better or continue to ruin it like att has.

i used the same lnb. i didnt have another & if by chance a directv lnb would have worked, i was unaware. i did however use a different orange splitter. my neighbor had one in his attic from recent dish service. he did have the antenna but sent the lnb back to dish.

Reactions: HipKat
What happens when you unplug your H3 from your LAN? Obviously VOD won't work, but that would tell us something if the other issues get fixed.

Also, do I understand that Dish has yet to replace your H3 even once? :eeek

What happens when you unplug your H3 from your LAN? Obviously VOD won't work, but that would tell us something if the other issues get fixed.

Also, do I understand that Dish has yet to replace your H3 even once? :eeek

early on, about 2 weeks into service, they replaced a joey once for the 0 of 0 tuners problem. that did not fix it for long. the tech that came out told me it was a hopper problem and its not easy to get dish to replace those. he advised me to disconnect it from the internet when calling so they cant access it. said for me to tell them it wont connect as well as any other problems. I tried that and it didn't work. sending pics and recreating the problems with tech support on the phone and a tech standing in my living room still wasn't enough for dish to replace the hopper or check my wires.

dish uses installers for this area from high power technical. hpts.tv is their website. I've even contacted them directly but they say all work orders must come through dish. which is probably correct.

tech support had me access the apps while disconnected and it resulted in a freeze up which led to unplugging.

my setup was connected by ethernet to my joey from the port on one of my mesh devices. I tried it by ethernet to my hopper and wifi. resulted in the same thing. I did inform the tech that was here and the phone support that the hopper does get quite hot. I made sure the fan was still working though & my hopper was in an open area, not enclosed at all. I put some small round rubber feet on the bottom of the hopper to raise it about half inch to allow more airflow. still didn't help much.

I have my directv back up and running now and my dish equipment is in my garage waiting to be returned. I feel like I've tried everything available to me and then some. I don't know what else I could do to get dish to even replace the boxes, which I assumed would be a no brainer. I could go the route of the BBB but that could take a while and honestly I'm fed up with this whole dish experience.

I've read nightmares on both dish and directv. my parents and my sister have had dish for 15yrs or more and not a single hiccup anywhere. I'm sure some had the same experience with directv. so far this genie is working good. if I start getting problems like this with my genie setup I'm not sure what do do. perhaps call an electrician. but lets see how it is a month from now.....

a huge THANK YOU to everyone who offered help and suggestions :)

I don't know what else I could do to get dish to even replace the boxes, which I assumed would be a no brainer.
jct that just isn't right. Dish really really needs to replace that H3 because it's defective IMHO. Before you cancel and get charged the ETF, I recommend calling loyalty and give them an ultimatum: replace the H3 or else you're gone.

my setup is all wired. I wanted him to check and run new wires if needed but the technician today wouldn't get under my floor, which is easy access and dry, to check the wiring. he did check the lnb and plugged the thing into the hopper and said he found no issues. after all that he and his supervisors tried their best to sell me a sound bar, security system and a firestick. :mad:

I had directv for 20yrs before this dish. I'm hoping it still works as it did before. the sales folk I spoke with assured me all the same features were still there. I had very few issues with them during that time. nothing like what I'm experiencing with dish.

That is what I probably would have done, along with replacing all the equipment and LNB.

Problem is the tech they sent out doesn’t get paid enough to re-wire your setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem is the tech they sent out doesn’t get paid enough to re-wire your setup
I don't know in which world you think that might be true, but it's not. It's not about how much you get paid, anyway. It's about doing the job correctly. If a tech thinks he's not paid enough to do the job right, he should either find a new job or figure out that doing the job right is what brings on better pay, not the other way around.

This statement is a perfect example of one of the problems we have today - entitlement

I don't know in which world you think that might be true, but it's not. It's not about how much you get paid, anyway. It's about doing the job correctly. If a tech thinks he's not paid enough to do the job right, he should either find a new job or figure out that doing the job right is what brings on better pay, not the other way around.

This statement is a perfect example of one of the problems we have today - entitlement
Depends what job the tech was assigned to do. If a tech makes $10 to do job A and $30 to do job B, you're not getting job B when you schedule job A. And that isn't on the tech, that's on the company that contracts the tech and plays silly buggers. If it is an actual Dish tech being paid to fix the problem, a flat rate regardless, then yes. But in the world of subcontractors bidding the job out to other subcontractors bidding the job out to other subcontractors you get what you get.

Depends what job the tech was assigned to do. If a tech makes $10 to do job A and $30 to do job B, you're not getting job B when you schedule job A. And that isn't on the tech, that's on the company that contracts the tech and plays silly buggers. If it is an actual Dish tech being paid to fix the problem, a flat rate regardless, then yes. But in the world of subcontractors bidding the job out to other subcontractors bidding the job out to other subcontractors you get what you get.
You have no idea how this works. First, no one is bidding out anything. Only in the rarest instances. Second, most contractors are bound to uphold Dish Standards or they get dropped.

You have no idea how this works. First, no one is bidding out anything. Only in the rarest instances. Second, most contractors are bound to uphold Dish Standards or they get dropped.
This is exactly how it works in many industries, and I speak from direct experience, but ok.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
This is exactly how it works in many industries, and I speak from direct experience, but ok.
We're not talking about "many industries", we're talking about this industry. Dish standards are extremely high. The company I work for is always being pushed to meet a long list of periodic goals and standards. Many Retailers can get away with a lot more, but RSP's and most Subs do not use the same plan as most retailers

jct that just isn't right. Dish really really needs to replace that H3 because it's defective IMHO. Before you cancel and get charged the ETF, I recommend calling loyalty and give them an ultimatum: replace the H3 or else you're gone.

I contacted them this morning regarding my cancelation. since I'm gonna pay up an etf for one or the other anyway I figured its worth one last try to see if dish would fix the problems im having. the guy said before he could send out a replacement hopper he would have to send out a tech to determine the hopper was bad. I told him to look at my service records and see the mountain of evidence that suggests there is a problem with my install / equipment. he seen where I recently had a tech visit and that tech determined the hopper had no issues. I informed him the tech witnessed the issues first hand but refused to check my wiring & claimed he didn't have a hopper3 on his truck anyway. also said the tech tried harder to convince me to buy other things I didn't need or want rather than fix my tv. he even brought in a sound bar to demonstrate after I said no thanks. I had to repeatedly tell him no do not hook this up as I'm not interested. but anyway, dish refused to send another hopper without a tech visit which would have been Thursday afternoon. at that point I said please just cancel this mess.

the agent never tried to convince me to stay a customer and proceeded to close my account charging me the etf which resulted in a final bill of 327.00. I will get return boxes in about a week. I thought dish would try harder to keep me. fwiw, when I canceled directv back last November they were willing to move heaven and earth to keep me. perhaps its all in who you talk to at these places.

fingers crossed my directv wont be as buggy as this dish experience was. hopefully its as reliable as its been in the past.

I contacted them this morning regarding my cancelation. since I'm gonna pay up an etf for one or the other anyway I figured its worth one last try to see if dish would fix the problems im having. the guy said before he could send out a replacement hopper he would have to send out a tech to determine the hopper was bad. I told him to look at my service records and see the mountain of evidence that suggests there is a problem with my install / equipment. he seen where I recently had a tech visit and that tech determined the hopper had no issues. I informed him the tech witnessed the issues first hand but refused to check my wiring & claimed he didn't have a hopper3 on his truck anyway. also said the tech tried harder to convince me to buy other things I didn't need or want rather than fix my tv. he even brought in a sound bar to demonstrate after I said no thanks. I had to repeatedly tell him no do not hook this up as I'm not interested. but anyway, dish refused to send another hopper without a tech visit which would have been Thursday afternoon. at that point I said please just cancel this mess.

the agent never tried to convince me to stay a customer and proceeded to close my account charging me the etf which resulted in a final bill of 327.00. I will get return boxes in about a week. I thought dish would try harder to keep me. fwiw, when I canceled directv back last November they were willing to move heaven and earth to keep me. perhaps its all in who you talk to at these places.

fingers crossed my directv wont be as buggy as this dish experience was. hopefully its as reliable as its been in the past.
Back over a year ago, when I cancelled D* after I had been with them for 20 years, they didn't offer me anything till it was all said and done. I guess they didn't think i would go, but after the numerous lies at&t had told me, i was done. I can't stand a liar. I still get come back cards in the mail, sometimes 2 or 3 a month. Nothing really enticing i might add. I left and went to Orby till it folded, and was pretty happy. Now I'm giving E* a run, we'll see how that goes.

• Love
Reactions: pattykay

Directv doesn't have some sort of "we will pay your termination fees to switch" ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)