TV1 and TV2: What do these terms means?

DavidZ

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
At first, I thought that the terms TV1 and TV2 refer to the 2 different tuners in the 622 other than the OTA tuner. But then I read things that contradict that. Also, since I'm currently recording 3 different shows, all "on TV1," these terms must have some other meaning that I can't figure out.

I realize that the 622 is designed to operate 2 different TVs independently. However, I have no desire to use the 622 in dual mode.

When I talk with the Dish Tech folks, they are clueless. A level 2 tech rep told me that in Single mode, you can only record one show at a time. "That's what single mode means," she said. When I asked her what would happen if I tried to record 2 different channels in single mode, she said it "would probably tell me there's a conflict."

Would someone please explain what the terms TV1 and TV2 really mean?

TV1 and TV2 are pretty much as they sound. it refers to the output of video, Tv1 would be the HD source, while TV2 would be your secondary television (normally a bedroom or kids room). If you dont use dual mode you can record two shows off the satellite and 1 show off the OTA at the same time. all while playing back a 4th.while in single mode you only worry about TV1 since the box is only outputing to that one source, did I help clear that up a little?

At first, I thought that the terms TV1 and TV2 refer to the 2 different tuners in the 622 other than the OTA tuner. But then I read things that contradict that. Also, since I'm currently recording 3 different shows, all "on TV1," these terms must have some other meaning that I can't figure out.

I realize that the 622 is designed to operate 2 different TVs independently. However, I have no desire to use the 622 in dual mode.

When I talk with the Dish Tech folks, they are clueless. A level 2 tech rep told me that in Single mode, you can only record one show at a time. "That's what single mode means," she said. When I asked her what would happen if I tried to record 2 different channels in single mode, she said it "would probably tell me there's a conflict."

As you mentioned, you can connect two TVs to the 622. And when in dual mode one satellite tuner and the OTA tuner are for TV1, and the other satellite tuner is for TV2. Since you are using it in single mode TV2 will not apply since it is not connected. You can access both the OTA tuner and both satellite tuners from TV1. So with these 3 tuners you can record 3 programs at one time as you mentioned.

Stuart and Primetimeguy, thanks for your responses.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that TV1 and TV2:

(1) are output designations,
(2) are essentially meaningless when in single mode, and
(3) have nothing to do with the 2 tuners (other than the OTA tuner).

Correct?

OK, then why on my Daily Schedule is does each recording have a "1" or a "2" icon? And what do these icons mean?

I have. It doesn't.
It does. Pgs 13-15, 57-59. And to address your basic head block, TV1=Tuner 1, TV2=Tuner 2, whether you are in single or dual mode. In dual mode, Tv2 can be watched independently . In single mode, only TV1 but still with use of 2 tuners (plus OTA tuner).

It does. Pgs 13-15, 57-59. And to address your basic head block, TV1=Tuner 1, TV2=Tuner 2, whether you are in single or dual mode.
You're contradicting everything that Stuart and Primetimeguy said above. I think they're correct and you're wrong.

For example, if TV1=Tuner1, then how come when I recorded 3 programs at once this morning, they were all labelled as TV1?

Obviously, TV1 DOES NOT equal Tuner 1. Apparently that's YOUR head block.

tv1 is the tv that is using the remote with the green 1 on the bottem, and tv2 is the tv using the one with the blue 2 on it. now if u only use the dual tuner for one tv, u can use either remote. here is what single mode does
1. outputs the same picture to both tv outputs.
2. allows both remotes to change channels, and both tv outputs will change channels together
3. allows you to watch live tv, while recording one show
4. allows you to watch a recorded show while recording to live tv shows
5. allows for the use of PiP(picture in picture)

i run into a lot of situations where two people living together like having their dual tuner dvr hooked up to one tv, and then they can each have their own remote control as both will function the same in this case.

You're contradicting everything that Stuart and Primetimeguy said above. I think they're correct and you're wrong.

For example, if TV1=Tuner1, then how come when I recorded 3 programs at once this morning, they were all labelled as TV1?

Obviously, TV1 DOES NOT equal Tuner 1. Apparently that's YOUR head block.
So you believe one tuner recored all three shows. That's fine, you keep going ahead and believe that. You also need to learn some manners!!!

okay ladies lets keep the arguing down, I believe and not 100% sure till I get my 622 monday but if its labeled as tv1 on recording that it was set up through tv1 to record, tv1 and tv2 do not equal tuners if that was the case, where is tv3 for the OTA tuner. also this is a forum for information, please answer the question if you know it, dont put fluff posts in to boost your post count saying read the manuel then arguing over it for 3 pages thanks.

Events show in My Recordings do not show which tuner was used. If it says TV1 or TV2 in the upper right hand corner, that means which TV you are currently watching. To see what tuners recored what show, you need to go to Daily Schedule. There you will see which one did what.

okay ladies lets keep the arguing down, I believe and not 100% sure till I get my 622 monday but if its labeled as tv1 on recording that it was set up through tv1 to record...
That makes sense. Thanks again, Stuart.

...tv1 and tv2 do not equal tuners. If that was the case, where is tv3 for the OTA tuner?
Exactly.

That makes sense. Thanks again, Stuart.

Exactly.
Sorry guys. OTA tuner will show up as TV1. To make sure , I currently have scheduled simultaneously, two sat recordings, one on TV1 and one on TV2. At the same time, I have an OTA that is listed also as TV1 BUT it will be recored on the third dedicated OTA tuner. Also for sake of argument, with record plus enabled, whichever TV/tuner you choose will be the default, regardless of which TV you program from.

It did not record (3) shows at once on TV1. Get out your camera and take pictures of the (3) entries from your My Recordings list and show us. It's not technically possible.

To see what tuners recored what show, you need to go to Daily Schedule. There you will see which one did what.
Where? I don't think that's correct.

The Daily Schedule lists the shows to be recorded in the future, not the shows that have already been recorded.

I think Stuart is correct, in that, the "1" or "2" label on the Daily Schedule list indicates from which TV the recording was requested. To be more specific, it probably indicates which remote was used to set the recording.

Where? I don't think that's correct.

The Daily Schedule lists the shows to be recorded in the future, not the shows that have already been recorded.

I think Stuart is correct, in that, the "1" or "2" label on the Daily Schedule list indicates from which TV the recording was requested. To be more specific, it probably indicates which remote was used to set the recording.
It does if Record Plus is disabled. I have Record Plus enabled and set for TV2. So even if I use remote one to schedule, it will record on TV2 (the OTHER tuner). If I set another show for the same time, then it will move itself to TV1. Read about Record Plus in manual, pages 56-59. BTW, I stand behind every word in my post #9 of this thread.

Regarding Daily Schedule, scroll UP to see past recording.

The tech is wrong. If you are in single mode, you can still record to both tuners. Heck, you can record to TV1, TV2, and OTA at the same time, AND watch a previously recorded program while you do that.

It is confusing because TV1 and TV2 also refer to the ability to watch a second tv (using the second tuner) with the same receiver. The difference is that while TV2 will record in HD, when played back on TV2, it will down-convert to SD; even though the actual recording is still HD. BUT THEY ARE BOTH HD Tuners.

Until now when you record on TV1 (think Tuner 1 instead), and you record OTA, they appear as they are recording to be on TV1. Since the new L4.41 software, when you record OTA, it appears with an antenna image, which should eliminate some of the confusion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)