TV2 high def

davidtbc

Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
I've got a dual-tuner DVR connected to a nearby TV1 and then I have TV2 in another room. TV2 can only display in SD right now since it's not connected to anything but a coaxial cable. I HATE HATE HATE SD programming at this point. It makes me want to pry my eyes out with a spoon.

What is the easiest and cheapest way to get my TV2 to display in HD. I have no need for another dual tuner DVR. Surely there is a relatively cheap piece of equipment that would let me have HD on both televisions. Right? Please?

FREE BONUS QUESTION:

If I only watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, or Skinemax in HD is there a cheaper option available to only get the premium HD channels? I don't want to pay for all those crappy SD premium movie channels that I have no intention of ever watching.

Thanks.

Well if you don't mind watching the same programming that you have in the TV1 location you could run component cables from the TV1 location to the TV2 location. Keep in mind that if its a long run you may want to make custom cables by using RG6 cabling instead of a set of component cables. Your only other option is to purchase a HD receiver for that location, I think you could probably pick up 211 receiver without paying too much.

The 622's HD ouputs, HDMI and component, are both active all the time. You may be able to run a legnth of the unused output to the TV in the other room. With HDMI, 50' of good quality cable (monoprice.com 22 AWG) is a viable distance. With component cable, 100' is acheivable (although the bundle is 5 cables in size).

The downside is the picture would be the same on both TVs, even if you are in dual mode.

If you want simultaneous HD on different channels, a single tuner (211) box would set you up, but it wouldn't be a DVR (not yet, anyway). It would be an additional leased tuner fee.

As for the bonus question, I think the answer is no.

Miner

If you can get the 2nd TV output figured out, then look into the $29.99 "dishHD" pack (as opposed to a "100", 200, or 250 pack plus Dish HD). It does actually include a few SD channels too, so it technically isn't HD "only", but it is "HD mostly". Dish has *said* that future HD channels will be added to this pack, and it counts as "qualifying" programming if you have a leased receiver.

Like you I basically don't watch any SD besides Comedy Central and BBC, so switched from the top 200 pack plus premiums to the "dishHD" pack for $29.99+$5 for locals, $22 for HBO+SHO, 0.01 for Cinemax, plus $5.98 DVR, $7.00 Lease fee, and $5.99 DHPP for a total of almost $50/month LESS than I was paying before (I dropped Starz as part of the downgrade because I never watched it). I'll miss occasional episodes of the Daily Show and BBC's "Top Gear", but over $500/year is a big savings.

I also wish that instead of paying for the SD channels of HBO and Showtime as packs I could pay less and just get the HD channels, but that isn't an option. Instead, hopefully more of those channels will go HD in the next year.

CDH.

Thanks guys; Yes I know I could run component cables from one TV to the other, but that would involve something like 150 feet of cabling running through my living room, dining room, hallway, and bedroom. It just isn't viable or I would have done it already.

I'll look in to how much it would cost to get a 211 receiver for the bedroom.

CDH: I'd love to get the HD only pack. In fact, I've been strongly considering going HD-only pack + locals + HBO&Showtime, and trying to convince customer service reps to give me the Cinemax for a cent deal even though I already get cinemax.

The problem is that I'm a total news junkie and right now I'm hopelessly addicted to MSNBC during the day when I'm working at my computer. And there is no MSNBC HD channel. And I have to have at least the "America's 200 pack" to get MSNBC.

Yeah, that's pathetic.

One last thing. If I'm understanding correctly, if I slapped a 211 receiver on TV2 I could watch HD programming... but I couldn't watch the HD programming I had recorded on the 622 dual tuner I have on TV1.

Right now I can record things on the 622 in HD and watch them on either TV1 or TV2, but only on TV1 in high def. Is there some way to configure the 211 receiver so that it will simply take the signal coming from the 622 and allow it to be viewed in HD?

Right now I can record things on the 622 in HD and watch them on either TV1 or TV2, but only on TV1 in high def. Is there some way to configure the 211 receiver so that it will simply take the signal coming from the 622 and allow it to be viewed in HD?
No. That would require a component or HDMI INPUT, which none of the receivers have. You might want to look into a 612 DVR/receiver (dual tuner, one output) which is now enabled for external HD, so you could swap among the two. Not the inexpensive option as per your original post, but lots of flexibility.

Last edited:
One last thing. If I'm understanding correctly, if I slapped a 211 receiver on TV2 I could watch HD programming... but I couldn't watch the HD programming I had recorded on the 622 dual tuner I have on TV1.

No. Maybe one day they'll come up with something, but not yet.

There is a way using (another/a) set of diplexers that you could watch live HD using the 211 and pull-up your recordings from your 622, but the recordings would be coming-in off the TV2 from your 622 and would be viewable ONLY in Standard Def.

IMO, your best and easiest option is still to get a 612.

Have you checked into wireless HDMI? They also make HDMI to CAT5 converters that are good for 300 ft at 1080P. There's a few options on Google.

Have you checked into wireless HDMI? They also make HDMI to CAT5 converters that are good for 300 ft at 1080P. There's a few options on Google.
The issue is that it would cheaper to buy a 612 and an external hard drive or 16GB USB stick to go back and forth between the 622 and 612 than to purchase a wireless HDMI solution right now. (Yes, I know of the $300 Philips one.)

The issue is that it would cheaper to buy a 612 and an external hard drive or 16GB USB stick to go back and forth between the 622 and 612 than to purchase a wireless HDMI solution right now. (Yes, I know of the $300 Philips one.)

Cheaper short-term maybe but you have the added receiver cost per month, plus the BS factor of moving files, plus the external HD fee.
With this you could also add an IR repeater and a switch so you can use the same line for your BluRay player/HTPC as well. :eek:

Wireless HDMI sounds possible. I'm willing to go for a higher initial outlay to avoid paying the monthly receiver fees and avoid the hassle of having to carry an external drive back and forth every time I want to watch a recorded program on the other television.

Thanks guys, both the wireless HDMI and 612 receiver are good ideas; like I said, I'm leaning towards more $$$ initially to avoid longer term hassles.

davidtbc - if you try the wireless HDMI solution please report back on Satelliteguy, and let us know how it workout, and about how much it cost. I would like to do the same thing, but I am not sure how good the wireless HDMI works. I thought I read somewhere that it only works up to 33 feet which is pretty limiting. So if you go that route, let all of us know how it worked.

I've got a dual-tuner DVR connected to a nearby TV1 and then I have TV2 in another room. TV2 can only display in SD right now since it's not connected to anything but a coaxial cable. I HATE HATE HATE SD programming at this point. It makes me want to pry my eyes out with a spoon.

What is the easiest and cheapest way to get my TV2 to display in HD. I have no need for another dual tuner DVR. Surely there is a relatively cheap piece of equipment that would let me have HD on both televisions. Right? Please?

FREE BONUS QUESTION:

If I only watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, or Skinemax in HD is there a cheaper option available to only get the premium HD channels? I don't want to pay for all those crappy SD premium movie channels that I have no intention of ever watching.

Thanks.

Why don't you just get another 722?

davidtbc - if you try the wireless HDMI solution please report back on Satelliteguy, and let us know how it workout, and about how much it cost. I would like to do the same thing, but I am not sure how good the wireless HDMI works. I thought I read somewhere that it only works up to 33 feet which is pretty limiting. So if you go that route, let all of us know how it worked.

+1

Speaking as an employee that deals with these questions all day, I suggest the 612 model rather than getting another 722. Actually, in the entire time since we put them out, I myself have yet to get a call saying one of them is defective. The 722's have the same rebooting issue as the 622s (although thankfully nowhere near as many hard drive failures as the 622s).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)