TV2 output poor on 42" tv. Options?

msgph

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 17, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Hi All,

Recently we upgraded our main hd tv and moved our older 42" 720p tv monitor up to our bedroom. The tv is being fed by the TV2 feed from our VIP722.

Needless to say, we're really disappointed with the picture quality on the tv now. The picture is very poor.

Is there a way to improve the picture quality from the TV2 feed.

Thanks in advance...

Michael

Unfortunately, running different cables isn't likely. The 722 is downstairs and at the other end of the house from our upstairs bedroom.

Also, I already have three dual tuner receivers in the house feeding 6 tv's. I don't think that I am able to add another receiver, am I?

The TV2 output on a 722 is at best composite video, at worst, RF modulated (those are the only two TV2 outputs you have). Neither of these support HD and will look quite poor on an HDTV. Nothing you can do about it. Most HDTV's need an HD feed to look decent. Some do better than others with SD, but in general an HDTV displaying an SD picture is ... yeuch. Your 722 only has one HD output - that's to TV1. TV2 output is SD only.

In some cases changing the modulator and channel to a different one can help a little. I've had good luck with "air 22" when chan 60 is a little snowy. This, of course, is if you don't have locals near that number that will interfere.

Also if you are splitting an off air antenna into that TV2 feed, that will seriously affect your picture.

The TV2 output on our 625(yeah I know it isnt the HD) is snowy using air channel 60, but if we choose cable channel 60 is looks pristine. My VIP622 I only run to my DLP

I called DISH today to upgrade one of my 322's to a 2 room HD receiver instead. This would allow me to have two HD tv's with HD programming and let the other 4 remain SD.

They wanted $100 to swap and install, which I thought was reasonable. However, the rep then informed me that there would be a 24 month comittment on the upgrade and that without it, I would have to purchase the receiver for $349 - which was not even close to being worth it!

I'm on DISH through AT&T and have no contracts, so adding a contract is not really something I want right now...especially since they are building out UVerse in my town right now.

Any one else have some ideas on this. Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions!

Mike

how are you going to get two TV's to HD? If you get a VIP622 or VIP722 each of those only have 1 HD output to TV1, TV2 is going to be SD...they dont have an HD reciever yet that has dual HD outputs...you can still watch HD channels on TV2 but the reciever down converts the signal.

how are you going to get two TV's to HD? If you get a VIP622 or VIP722 each of those only have 1 HD output to TV1, TV2 is going to be SD...they dont have an HD reciever yet that has dual HD outputs...you can still watch HD channels on TV2 but the reciever down converts the signal.

My goal is to get a true HD signal to two tv's. Currently our 722 is hooked to two HD tv's. We have four other tv's being fed by two 322's.

I wanted to swap one of the 322's for a 222 HD Two tunner. This is what my setup would have been:

1. 722 1 HD tv and 1 SD tv
2. 222 1 HD tv and 1 SD tv
3. 322 2 SD tv's

However, that point is now irrelevant. DISH wants either a 24 month contract and $100 or no contract and $349 for the 222. I don't have a contract now through AT&T and don't want to add one and I'm not paying $349 for the receiver when UVerse is around the corner.

Mike

oh okay, sorry, I thought they might have told you that you could get 2 HD outputs through one of their recievers...my bad

Aren't you going to be watching TV anyways... Even if you are thinking of switching to a new provider the cost usually will be about the same... and sometimes the service could either be better or worst... did they tell you would it would cost to break their 24 month contract... I believe it's prorated via quarters. If you keep it for a year - the disconnect charge should be 1/2....

My goal is to get a true HD signal to two tv's. Currently our 722 is hooked to two HD tv's. We have four other tv's being fed by two 322's.

I wanted to swap one of the 322's for a 222 HD Two tunner. This is what my setup would have been:

1. 722 1 HD tv and 1 SD tv
2. 222 1 HD tv and 1 SD tv
3. 322 2 SD tv's

However, that point is now irrelevant. DISH wants either a 24 month contract and $100 or no contract and $349 for the 222. I don't have a contract now through AT&T and don't want to add one and I'm not paying $349 for the receiver when UVerse is around the corner.

Mike
I have an idea..Call dish and submit to either credit cvard auto pay or have them debit your checking account rather than paying by check.. For the last 8 years ,i have had my bill paid by the latter method. That makes me what Dish rfers to as a "5 Star" customer. The highest rating. Yes Dish does rate their customers based on their payment history and other factors.
An auto pay setup just may improve your standing and help you to avoid a commitment. You can also try the "I will cancel if you don't do what I ask" route. Sometimes that works. At least it will get you to "customer retention".

There are times that the tv 2's look like crap on certain tv's, id say maybe amp the line to clear it up. Maybe switch it to channel 21 air on the recvr..

There are times that the tv 2's look like crap on certain tv's, id say maybe amp the line to clear it up. Maybe switch it to channel 21 air on the recvr..

I've tried changing from OTA Channel 60 to Cable 73, but that didn't really do much. I'll try OTA Channel 21 when I get home tonight and see what that does.

BTW, you are in Lenexa? I'm not too far away in Lee's Summit.

I have an idea..Call dish and submit to either credit cvard auto pay or have them debit your checking account rather than paying by check.. For the last 8 years ,i have had my bill paid by the latter method. That makes me what Dish rfers to as a "5 Star" customer. The highest rating. Yes Dish does rate their customers based on their payment history and other factors.
An auto pay setup just may improve your standing and help you to avoid a commitment. You can also try the "I will cancel if you don't do what I ask" route. Sometimes that works. At least it will get you to "customer retention".

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't go the autopay or cc route beause I'm on DISH through AT&T and it all comes on my AT&T home phone bill.

I seriously thought about the whole cancellation threat, but other than this issue, I am really happy with DISH and their programming/equipment. It's frusrating that the entire installion of brand new equipment doesn't incurr a contract with AT&T, but getting an upgrade does? Doesn't make sense.

Aren't you going to be watching TV anyways... Even if you are thinking of switching to a new provider the cost usually will be about the same... and sometimes the service could either be better or worst... did they tell you would it would cost to break their 24 month contract... I believe it's prorated via quarters. If you keep it for a year - the disconnect charge should be 1/2....

I'm happy with DISH, except for this issue. I have DISH as a bridge from Time Warner, which was horrible, to UVerse, which is being built out in my area.

I'm so happy with DISH, that I may not even switch to UVerse when it is finally available, but I dont want a contract with DISH regardless. Contracts always come back to bit you in the rear!

I have been with Dish for about 8 years. I have had contracts for about 1/2 of that time and I have never been bitten by a contract. I read alot on here and other forums about people complaining about the customer service at Dish, however I have rarely had a problem with them. If I were you, I would go ahead and go with the contract, unless like you said, you were thinking about going to UVerse.

I'm just opposed to the contract when I don't have one with all my other equipment with them. The things I've heard about UVerse are good, but I don't know if they are better than Dish.

...You can also try the "I will cancel if you don't do what I ask" route. Sometimes that works. At least it will get you to "customer retention".

I decided to go this route. I was very kind and not threatening or verbally abousive at all. I explained that I was very hesitant to sign a contract for a replacement piece of equipment when I didn't have to for the other equipment. I also explained that UVerse and Time Warner in my area don't require contracts and that I'd switch if necessary, but really did not want to do so.

The rep correctly said that she couldn't do anything about a shorter or no-term contract. It just wasn't possible. She then offered to make the $100 upgrade for free. That saved me $100.

I thanked her very much and then asked if there was anything else that could be done to help get me closer to what a contract termination fee would be. She then offered 10 months of $10 credits. That also netted me $100.

I thanked the rep very kindly and accepted her offer.

So they will be swapping out a 322 for a 222 on Sunday. The contract termination fee of $240 prorates out each month to $10 less. So as long as I keep my account open for the next few months, then I should be good to go and not be out any money.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and assistance.

Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)