TVland gone bye bye now too?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
where is the nimiq5 satellite? Has anyone checked there? :confused:

same spot...they just replaced the satellite there because Echo 6 is old

they moved all the channels off Echo 6 and moved them to Nimiq5 at the same spot. This allows Dish to move Echo6 somewhere else

The above made me think that maybe I might be wrong when I said that it had scrambled, since I had only checked the transponder where it WAS, and everything except a slate was encrypted. Then on reading the above, I remembered that the switch to Nimiq5 was supposed to also involve a switch to 8psk.
Well I just checked, and 4 of the transponders on that sat have in fact switched to 8psk. However TVLAND is not FTA unfortunately, and the TVLAND transponder hasn't switched yet. It will be interesting to watch this sat, however, since going to 8psk should mean a bunch of new channels, so maybe some might accidently come in FTA.

What do you need to run this?

Does this play on Linux, PC-BSD, or Windows?

Well, the pc it's on is windows xp. I don't understand though what you mean, "What do you need to run this?" A pc I guess?? :confused:

A friend emailed it to me, told me to click it, it installed something then tvland started working. I can get a picture on fashiontv now but it is in slow motion and the pc locks up and I have to reboot it to get out. So it sort of can play fashiontv but not really. He said my pc is too slow, that I need a newer one with more cores.
Um, wouldn't that be nice? Like I can afford one. Ha!

What do you need to run this?

Does this play on Linux, PC-BSD, or Windows?

CoreAVC is an H.264 decoder for Windows, which you can get from coreavc.com. They have a free trial, but the full version of $14.95. I've tried it on DVBDream, and it is actually the best I've used as far as CPU percentage goes for this high bitrate HD streams. You could actually use some free H.264 codecs out there to decode MPEG4 streams from DISH Network, but CoreAVC works great.

Dee, XP is the answer I was looking for. The phrase entertainment center kind of threw me.

Wonder if the Core Player product would be useful. It looks to have a bunch of additional stuff in addition to the CoreAVC codec for $5 more... Anyone use this?

Dish is in the process of turning all of 72 to 8PSK turbo

My guess would be so they can pack more data into less space? For HD junkies, I'm hoping this would mean better quality. But given "HD-lite" seems to be the trend, I'm guessing it means adding more channels, not enhancing quality. Oh, how I love watching those master HD wild feeds on my AZBox, especially when they're 50+ Mbps :)

72W is mainly the core programming for Dish's Eastern Arc setup. Allows them to add more SD channels to the TP's
61.5 has the HD channels

Dish is in the process of turning all of 72 to 8PSK turbo
Hearing that was the straw on the camel that got me to buy a Genpix. :)
Seems to work fine on the transponders that have switched. Nothing free to watch on them yet, but I didn't want to risk losing a couple other channels if THEY decide to switch. Except that like you said somewhere above, when they DO switch, they'll probably notice that they forgot to scramble certain things.

One thing about this Nimiq-4 sat, is that on running my Broadlogic slow scan spectrum scan thing, this has to be the most powerful sat I've seen up there, based on the signal above baseline levels. Wish they were all like that, except for our regular sats, I guess that much power would really mess up reception on the adjacent sats. But I really wonder how DN can get away with this much power on 73, when they have the same transponder freqs over at 77. Our 3' dishes can resolve the sats, but I bet they'd have problems with little 18" dishes. On the other hand, I've never been quite sure about just who their customer is for those two sats, and why they put them so close together when most of the other DBS sats are separated by 9 deg. I assume that whoever the customers are, that they use bigger than 18" dishes???

EDIT: Oops... if I had read one more post before responding I see you responded re to how DN uses the sat (although there obviously IS HD on that sat ). However the spacing still seems a bit strange to me, and I'm still curious re what size dish they install for people that use those sats.

Hearing that was the straw on the camel that got me to buy a Genpix. :)
Seems to work fine on the transponders that have switched. Nothing free to watch on them yet, but I didn't want to risk losing a couple other channels if THEY decide to switch. Except that like you said somewhere above, when they DO switch, they'll probably notice that they forgot to scramble certain things.

What's genpix?? :confused:

What's genpix?? :confused:

genpix - Google Search

It's a company that sells PC based receivers.

Right.

It's a USB box, however in addition to regular QPSK DVB, it's unique in that it does a couple modes that other boxes don't do, such as DCII (but only ZK channels), Turbo-QPSK, Turbo-8PSK, and DSS.
It doesn't do DVB-S2, but the DCII, DSS and Turbo modes make it a nice compliment to other receivers.
So far, other than DCII, not much in the way of FTA in the other modes, but I'm sure it will show up eventually, and now I'm ready. :)

The above made me think that maybe I might be wrong when I said that it had scrambled, since I had only checked the transponder where it WAS, and everything except a slate was encrypted. Then on reading the above, I remembered that the switch to Nimiq5 was supposed to also involve a switch to 8psk.
Well I just checked, and 4 of the transponders on that sat have in fact switched to 8psk. However TVLAND is not FTA unfortunately, and the TVLAND transponder hasn't switched yet. It will be interesting to watch this sat, however, since going to 8psk should mean a bunch of new channels, so maybe some might accidently come in FTA.

:) 7 new channels fta. However 6 are hidden. Probably won't last long.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)