TVland Yanks ‘Dukes of Hazzard’

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm embarrassed at what my city did.

In front of City Hall they have all 50 state flags flying. Our dumba$$ mayor decided that since the Mississippi State Flag has the Star & Bars on it it needed to come down.
There's now 49 state flags flying.

Total knee jerk overreaction by a brain dead politician.

Reactions: Ronnie-
Plenty of Oklahoma's rednecks fly Confederate flags, at their houses or on their pickups, even though Oklahoma wasn't a state until 1907, or even a territory until after the Civil War.

I wonder what they're trying to say?

Reactions: osu1991
And yet the NFL team of our nation's capitol is still called the Redskins.

I'm about as liberal as they come, but I also believe history should be preserved and shared (not suppressed) in order that it be understood. Dukes of Hazard (like any movie or TV show set in deep south during the Civil War era) is a part of our cultural history and should not be redacted.

I don't want to get political here and I agree that pulling everything that ever included the confederate flag from all forms of media is ridiculous. I'll just say this though. I don't understand why the confederate flag is such a point of pride for self professed rednecks.

It is a flag created by traitors to their country and well known as a symbol of racism. I'm not sure where the sense of pride in that comes from. It doesn't belong on government buildings. It does belong in the history books, museums, and other media it was originally in though.

Last edited:
To me the Confederate Flag represents the brave men and women who disagreed with the United States government of the Civil War era. They are not traitors, they fought for something they believed in. A few years ago, a bunch of lazy smelly hippy college kids gathered in parks all around the country and camped to protest some idiotic notion of 1%er or something like that. Back in the Civil War era, people actually took action and put their lives on the line for causes they believed in, they didn't sit in a park blogging on their iPhones how the world owes them everything. The Confederate Flag also represents to me the idea of States Rights, which I strongly support. The Confederacy is part of the heritage of the South and should be on display at public buildings and such if the majority of the population of the state in question support it. I am not a fan of what the rainbow flag represents at all, I didn't care for the fact that the most famous residence in the country was lit up in rainbow colors, but I'm not about to cry about it.

And yes, All hail the REDSKINS! May the name never be changed!

To me the Confederate Flag represents the brave men and women who disagreed with the United States government of the Civil War era.

You mean the "brave men and women" who fought for the enslavement of other human beings?

oh-no-you-didnt.jpg

No, the brave men and women who fought for states rights and didn't want to be bullied by the federal government.

I do not equate the Confederate Flag with slavery, racism or whatever else the liberal media is trying to spew. If you do, that is your problem. I equate it with standing up for what you believe in. The Civil War and the succession of the Southern States was not solely about slavery or the ethics behind it, it was a small piece of the puzzle, but heaven forbid if public schools actually teach anything.

I do not equate the Confederate Flag with slavery, racism or whatever else the liberal media is trying to spew. If you do, that is your problem. I equate it with standing up for what you believe in. The Civil War and the succession of the Southern States was not solely about slavery or the ethics behind it, it was a small piece of the puzzle, but heaven forbid if public schools actually teach anything.

Yes the idea that the civil war was about slavery came from the liberal media...

What you quoted, I was referring to the Confederate Flag, not the Civil War as a whole.

Two totally separate points

1) Equating the Confederate Flag with racism. That's a media problem.

2) The Civil War was not 100% about slavery and it was never really about the 'humanity' of it. That's an education problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts