[TWC] New TWC Sub... Cost Comparsion

shippy1973

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Hi all...

Just switched over from Dish/SBC to the full TWC package. Just wanted to see what other folks are paying for similar packages at TWC (San Antonio for me).

PREVIOUS:
Dish 522/322 w/ AT120 and HBO Cinemax
SBC Local and Long Distance
SBC Yahoo DSL Pro (2.5MB)

Total: $187

CURRENT:
TWC 8300 HD/DVR, 2 8000 DVRs, 1 basic cable TV (Upgraded to "Variety" pack and added HBO/Skinamax. I get Sho/TMC free for 1 year)
TWC Road Runner Service (4.0MB)
TWC Digital Phone

Total: $186

SO... if I am looking at this correctly, I am getting all the movie channels (not to mention the On Demand channels which I LOVE), faster d/l speeds, HD service, 6 tuner DVR capability (on the 3 DVRs) and the same phone service for the same price? I do miss some of the features in my Dish DVR that are not on the TWC DVR but for what I am getting at the moment... I guess I should just live with it?? :D

I am getting Tw Digital cable 2 DVRS (8300, 8300Hd), HBO, Hbo on demand, Cinemax, Cinemax on demand, Roadrunner, plus the HD tier, all for 74 dollars a month (satellite buy back program, which you should get on, this price is good for 18 months!)

shippy1973 said:
Hi all...

Just switched over from Dish/SBC to the full TWC package. Just wanted to see what other folks are paying for similar packages at TWC (San Antonio for me).

PREVIOUS:
Dish 522/322 w/ AT120 and HBO Cinemax
SBC Local and Long Distance
SBC Yahoo DSL Pro (2.5MB)

Total: $187

CURRENT:
TWC 8300 HD/DVR, 2 8000 DVRs, 1 basic cable TV (Upgraded to "Variety" pack and added HBO/Skinamax. I get Sho/TMC free for 1 year)
TWC Road Runner Service (4.0MB)
TWC Digital Phone

Total: $186

SO... if I am looking at this correctly, I am getting all the movie channels (not to mention the On Demand channels which I LOVE), faster d/l speeds, HD service, 6 tuner DVR capability (on the 3 DVRs) and the same phone service for the same price? I do miss some of the features in my Dish DVR that are not on the TWC DVR but for what I am getting at the moment... I guess I should just live with it?? :D

I just cancelled my BHN TV service because I'm moving and they thought I was switching to another company but this is what they offered me which isn't available to all customers but they will offer it to most who try and cancel from what they said at least.

Digital Cable with 3 HD DVR boxes (8300HD).
HD Pak.
HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/TMC with Premiums On Demand.
Starz and Encore.

Road Runner (15Mbps down/2Mbps UP).

Digital Phone with unlimited calling to the US and Canada.

They put this all in a bundle if I wanted it for just about 200 bucks a month with taxes for one year. After it would jump to around 220/month with taxes.

This isn't exactly the worse deal at all but I must say yours is quite impressive because if I ordered exactly what you got it would have cost me more money. Not much more but about five bucks.

stuart628 said:
I am getting Tw Digital cable 2 DVRS (8300, 8300Hd), HBO, Hbo on demand, Cinemax, Cinemax on demand, Roadrunner, plus the HD tier, all for 74 dollars a month (satellite buy back program, which you should get on, this price is good for 18 months!)

Oh yes your right he should check out that satellite buy back program.

I would HIGHLY recommend going with a different VoIP (Internet phone) vendor than TWC. You can go with Earthlink, Vonage, AT&T CallVantage and they're cheaper while providing the same service. When I say providing the same service, I mean most if not all of not all are using Level 3 Communications as their VoIP vendor. That is why you'll see nobody providing VoIP in an area and then all of a sudden everyone is providing service.

terryfoster said:
I would HIGHLY recommend going with a different VoIP (Internet phone) vendor than TWC. You can go with Earthlink, Vonage, AT&T CallVantage and they're cheaper while providing the same service. When I say providing the same service, I mean most if not all of not all are using Level 3 Communications as their VoIP vendor. That is why you'll see nobody providing VoIP in an area and then all of a sudden everyone is providing service.

The bundled discounts BHN is giving makes them cheaper than most of them if you order many of the premium channels as it is and have an HD DVR on the account. Now without a bundled discount I would say otherwise as you are correct on what you say.

LonghornXP said:
Oh yes your right he should check out that satellite buy back program.
It may be too late for him though.... :confused: I'm not sure if the satellite buy-back program is always in effect or not. I also think you'd have to mention "I have satellite now and am considering switching to you guys... what can you offer me ??". If the rep conveniently chooses not to mention the buy-back offer and the customer still switches, well......

hall said:
It may be too late for him though.... :confused: I'm not sure if the satellite buy-back program is always in effect or not. I also think you'd have to mention "I have satellite now and am considering switching to you guys... what can you offer me ??". If the rep conveniently chooses not to mention the buy-back offer and the customer still switches, well......

I didn't know BHN had a satellite buy back program like TWC has so I didn't think to ask. Once I switched and found out BHN also offered it I called back and asked for it and the rep said I had to say this before I signed up. This was about 40-50 days after starting service with BHN. I just told the rep I would cancel their service and switch back with DirecTV for three months and sign back up as a new customer again and make sure I ask for the satellite buyback program. Well they wouldn't credit back my first two months bill to reflect the satellite buyback prices but they did give me the new price that would be good for the next 16 months from my next statement date. Maybe this will help this user out. By the way I got 25 bucks a month off my final entire bill. I also got high speed internet for 32.95/month for the first six months too. I also got free HBO and Cinemax for three months. Not a bad deal but this was as you would guess 18 months ago so the offer might be a little different.

It's my understanding that one can't combine any of their 'combo' deals (i.e Triple Play pack) with the satellite buy back program.

I signed up for TWC in the Columbia, SC area in October of 2004 under the "dish buy back" program. The promotion was $39.99 / month for digital cable, plus I pay extra for two DVRs. I don't remember a term on the promotion price being discussed at all. In fact, if memory serves, the representative said that the $39.99 would be good as long as I stayed with TWC. Does this sound right? It got me thinking after reading about the 18 month thing. If 18 months is the limit, then my promotion expires next month. My price would then jump from about $65 / month (now) to about $85 /month. If that's the case and they won't extend the promotion, I'm probably headed back to DirecTV. I really like cable and a few dollars difference wouldn't cause me to leave, but if DirecTV is $20 cheaper... I'm gone! What do you guys think? Could this promotion last indefinitely, or is it about to end?

Yes the promotion could last indefinitely. When your bill jumps call to cancel your service because of the rate hike and they will most likely do what it takes to keep you.

To everyone,
If you are paying "full price" for cable (and that DOES include anyone with a bundled deal), call TWC and get to their downgrades and disconnects office and tell them that satellite is looking more and more appealing for price and content (site NFL Sunday ticket, etc) and they will knock some money off your bill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts