[TWC] SA HD DVR feedback

MNETOP

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
Austin, TX.
Hi,

I am really thinking about leaving Dish and going back to Time Warner here in Austin, Texas. I wanted to see what were your opinions on the SA HD DVR that they offer. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mario.

I have the sa8300 (both the HD and SD version) I am currently having problems with the 8300 resetting, but I believe that is due to low signal as I found a slice in one of my lines! other then that, the best boxe's I have ever owned! no problems whatsoever on my end!

Thanks Stuart,

I went back to double check. Here in Austin, they are still using the 8000 model. What do you know about that model?

Mario.

The 8300HD is a really nice box. It's got some features missing that people would like to see but in general, it's very reliable. It's more or less a hardware upgrade of the 8000HD box. It's got more RAM, both system and video, and a faster CPU. It's got the same 160gb HDD though.

I had three SA8300HD DVRs for a few weeks prior to getting E* installed along with a 942 HD DVR. In a nutshell, the SA8300HD DVR worked without too many problems, but it was POS compared to the 942; the SA box ran hot, was noisy, and very klunky...but it worked. Moreso, the Program Guide was horrible beyond beleif whereas the 942 EPG rocks!

I also had a SA8000HD DVR a year earlier while I was with VOOM DBS service. The SA8300HD DVR was a big improvement IMO.

riffjim4069 said:
I had three SA8300HD DVRs for a few weeks prior to getting E* installed along with a 942 HD DVR. In a nutshell, the SA8300HD DVR worked without too many problems, but it was POS compared to the 942; the SA box ran hot, was noisy, and very klunky...but it worked. Moreso, the Program Guide was horrible beyond beleif whereas the 942 EPG rocks!

I also had a SA8000HD DVR a year earlier while I was with VOOM DBS service. The SA8300HD DVR was a big improvement IMO.

My 8300HD Dvr, runs real cool, I had a problem where it would reset, and I fixed that (bad cabling), not nosiy at all, and my program guide works-it shows whats coming up, and now that I am use to this operatiing system, I really enjoy it and have not missed dish network at all@!

My 8300 HD and 8300 boxes are very quiet (have one in the bedroom) and run cool. My only complaint is the lack of a season pass and the lacl of hacks that are available on TIVO units like video extraction.

Vlj9r,
I have no idea what you're talking about the 8300 not having season passes. You can set it to record a show any time it airs on only one channel or any channel. I think you can also set it to record that show only if it airs in that time slot. You even get the "series recording" priority option.

Now, the 8300 doesn't have a good "Wishlist" system like TiVo. You can't set the 8300 to record any show with Denise Richards in it. You would have to search by keywords every couple days as your STB gets new program data, and I don't know if you can do a keyword search for actress/actor like you can with TiVo.

I'm impatiently waiting for the TiVo Series 3 to be released so that I get all my favorite TiVo features back and get the new ones that most TiVo owners enjoy today like remote scheduling, MP3 serving, show grouping, and no phone line requirement.

-TiVo Series 1 owner since 1999, gotta love the $100 lifetime subscription!

Last edited:
I know one difference between the 8000 and 8300 is that the 8300 has an external SATA hard drive connection which the 8000 doesn't have. The 8300 also has HDMI and the 8000 is DVI only.

I haven't figured out a way to take the SATA drive from the DVR and copy saved programs to a computer. I guess it's protected by Time Warner somehow?

Some TW systems have the Passport software - which is better - than what I have which is SARA. We didn't get the record new first run episodes until last December.

For $7 a month it's a hard deal to beat. The sat dish hardware is so expensive and it seems like they want you to upgrade to something new. If you get a bad one - take it back and exchange it.

Data stored on the external hard drive most certainly is encrypted and the "key" is in the 8300. Without that, the data is just a bunch of jumbled bits....

Most TW systems run Passport vs SARA. A lot of people do consider it better in many ways but Passport does NOT have external SATA support and likely won't until summer or later.

just to update this thread, 2 days before the Super Bowl my 8300Hd dvr's hard drive went out, just died, lost all our recordings (then 2 hours before the super bowl our Hd channels went out through time warner) I called Time warner and they said they dont schedule techs in my area, that it would be about two weeks wait time to get someone! thats the latest I have my dish stuff hooked up right now and have my vip211 running, still use time warner upstairs but I dont know how long that will last! wife wasnt happy about this go round, so dont know what I am going to do! loved cable! loved the dvr while it ran, just those extra problems with the company has turned my experience (again) sour!

I really wish Time Warner Syracuse would switch from SARA to Passport, I've seen Passport in action, and it is so much better. Anyone know of any plans to do this. Of course the ultimate DVR would be one with TiVo, but that's just wishful thinking...

hall said:
Data stored on the external hard drive most certainly is encrypted and the "key" is in the 8300. Without that, the data is just a bunch of jumbled bits....

Most TW systems run Passport vs SARA. A lot of people do consider it better in many ways but Passport does NOT have external SATA support and likely won't until summer or later.

stuart628 said:
My 8300HD Dvr, runs real cool, I had a problem where it would reset, and I fixed that (bad cabling), not nosiy at all, and my program guide works-it shows whats coming up, and now that I am use to this operatiing system, I really enjoy it and have not missed dish network at all@!

just for those interested I did get a new 8300hd box in and it actually runs quiter then the first, the resetting and little noise I had were the first signs of trouble I guess!

Yeah that's what I mean, but if TiVo came out with a decent HD DVR, I might just get that and drop the Time Warner DVR. I heard TiVo was negotiating with Cable companies to get their software on their boxes. Just maybe Time Warner is one of those companies...

I need help with my TWC 8300HD, just two days ago my 8300HD went from 3 clicks to fast forward and the same to review what I had recorded and to do the same with live TV… BUT now you have to use 4 clicks to fast forward and to rewind. It is now too fast to use.
HOW can I go back to using only 3 clicks/arrows on my DVR?
HELP Please!!!!!
DAMN I Miss my Voom!

Dog6869 said:
I need help with my TWC 8300HD, just two days ago my 8300HD went from 3 clicks to fast forward and the same to review what I had recorded and to do the same with live TV… BUT now you have to use 4 clicks to fast forward and to rewind. It is now too fast to use.
HOW can I go back to using only 3 clicks/arrows on my DVR?
HELP Please!!!!!
DAMN I Miss my Voom!

that would be in the firmware I believe, I would say they updated you and there is nothing you can do, I hope I am wrong, but I dont think I am!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)