TWC sent the goon squad after me

AndyHDTV

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
NYC
Email I received from TWC yesterday:

"It has come to my attention that you have contacted several people at Time Warner Cable asking highly technical questions. I am concerned because the answers to many of those questions are considered proprietary to Time Warner Cable. Please contact me regarding this issue."

Tom Allen
Vice President Security
Time Warner Cable of NY/NJ
-
-
-
I Might have to take a break from my investigating, I'm stepping on some toes.

Iceberg said:
what kind of questions did you ask them??

this is what I sent to alot of people in TWC:

"Hello , I am a frustrated HD subscriber in NYC.
I have been fooled for many months now thinking that TWC would add several national HD channels like ESPN2-HD in time for the World Cup.
Of coarse that never happened.
I feel even more frustrated when DirectTV, Dish & Comcast seem to add an HD channel every month, with more announced channels on the way.

1. I know TWC has bandwidth issues in most of it's markets.
2. I know eliminating a analog channel free's up space for 2-3 HD channels.
3. I know your beginning to rollout SDV (I hope NYC is wired)???
4. I know the OCAP applications will arrive in October here in the City, not sure what if any effect it will have on increasing our bandwidth?

Bottom line, Obviously CSR's don't know anything about this. Emails to local offices sometimes get answers, depending on the complexity of the questions. And press releases are far and few between both on the corporate and local sites. For example: STARZ-HD & CINEMAX-HD was recently added only in TEXAS. No one knew about it in other markets until I told them on online forums.

Any updates, bad news or hopefully good news will help.
thank you , Andy"

HD channels Available now
ESPN2-HD
TMC-HD
MHD (MTV)
National Geographic-HD
Food Network-HD
HGTV-HD
NFL Network-HD
Wealth TV-HD
Outdoor Channel 2-HD
PPV-HD
FSNY-HD

Later in 06'
A&E-HD
Sleuth-HD

I agree with iafire...That's it? All you're doing is asking when HD channels are coming

but there is one error

that is incorrect. It takes more bandwidth for a HD than a SD channel. As an example, in satellite its about 6 to 1 (6 SD channels for 1 HD channel).

some questions, CSR's not going to know. as follows:
1. I know TWC has bandwidth issues in most of it's markets.
3. I know your beginning to rollout SDV (I hope NYC is wired)???
4. I know the OCAP applications will arrive in October here in the City, not sure what if any effect it will have on increasing our bandwidth?

they can answer billing, general stuff concerning your box, channel line up, etc. but technical stuff, plant managers can anwswer, but also understand, some things can be a sercuity issue as well, so contact Tom and go from there.
In some states because of broadband and phone services through the cable, hacking issues can be a national security issue as well.

cablewithaview said:
with cable it's a 12 to 1 ratio on SD to analog, so there could be 2 HD's as well.

Correct. When I scanned my local Comcrap offering, most HD channels were grouped in 2s or 3s on a particular RF channel (6MHz). Most likey they are using 256QAM which provides about 40Mbit of bandwidth.

I find it pretty funny some security jerk emailed you based on your original email. I bet some of the employees you sent it to just forwarded it to their boss or security group. For what its worth when I worked at a cable ISP, employees were forbidden to answer emails such as yours. Everything had to go through the media relations group. Punishment could include termination :(.

Iceberg said:
I agree with iafire...That's it? All you're doing is asking when HD channels are coming

but there is one error

that is incorrect. It takes more bandwidth for a HD than a SD channel. As an example, in satellite its about 6 to 1 (6 SD channels for 1 HD channel).

No he's correct. Depending on the cable carrier they will run 2 or 3 HD channels on one QAM256 carrier. Each single analog SD channel = 2 HD digital channels.

my response sent over the weekend

thank you for the email, I try to ask questions that would help all of TWC's HD subscribers. Don't be worried if my questions worry you as you and others obviously can refuse to answer them. As I said I only ask questions to help myself and others know what's going on with additional HD channels. As for the technical info, I get them from online articles that executives participate in. So it's really not Top Secret info I'm inquiring about.
I hope I'm not stepping on any toes, even though It might appear that I am.
Would you rather me contact you by phone about this matter?
Thank you, Andy

Iceberg said:

but there is one error

Not an error. A 6mhz channel with 256QAM modulation has 38mbps bandwidth. Enough for 2-3 hd channels. Since satellite signals obviously don't have as clean a path to the receivers as a coaxial cable, they use wider channels (transponders) and much less aggressive modulations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts