Tweaking SD Channels (both VOOM and TV) for best SD PQ

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
With all the variables in the VOOM STB and my Sony LCD PRoj HDTV (42"), I am trying to figure out how to set things to get the best PQ on SD, as I realize that the HD settings may not optimize the SD PQ.

So far I have found that, when I have the SD channel in a normal size box for 480i, it is so so, but when I click on my Twin Box feature (2 channels side by side), the SD PQ increases GREATLY. How can I get this setting without the Twin Box feature? (those of you with SONY LCD Rear Proj HDtv/s especially)

STB first--do I set the Resolution to all 4 (Native) on the front of the box, or do I choose 480i (or 480p) specifically for the SD channels? (Then change it back when I watch the HD channesl?)

On my TV, do I try to tweak some settings for the SD channels somehow somewhere?

I am using the DVI to HDMI connection for the VOOM box to the Sony HD tv.

Any suggestions would help a LOT.

For the best SD quality, use Native mode. (The down side: SurfBar, PG, menus will change with each resolution)
"Tween Screen" probably lloks better, just because it's smaller... ;)

bookwalk said:
So far I have found that, when I have the SD channel in a normal size box for 480i, it is so so, but when I click on my Twin Box feature (2 channels side by side), the SD PQ increases GREATLY. How can I get this setting without the Twin Box feature? (those of you with SONY LCD Rear Proj HDtv/s especially)
Well if Twin Box/view is like that in my Sony LCD, you are effectively splitting your screen in two so the picture on the set is now smaller and the smaller picture looks sharper since there is now less pixels "highlightling" all the SD artifacts. I know with mine, I can resize the twin view and as I increase the size, the less "sharp" the SD PQ becomes.

I found native to be the worst for SD on my pj, I keep it in 1080i all the time, the upconvert looks much better than 480i.

Right now Voom is having severe pq problems with the SD. Sit tight and hope they get the encoders tweaked soon. I can't watch it the way it is, I prefer nothing over what they are broadcasting right now. There's nothing like a good book to create the most incredible crystal clear HD image ever. ;-)

DarrellP said:
I found native to be the worst for SD on my pj, I keep it in 1080i all the time, the upconvert looks much better than 480i.

Right now Voom is having severe pq problems with the SD. Sit tight and hope they get the encoders tweaked soon. I can't watch it the way it is, I prefer nothing over what they are broadcasting right now. There's nothing like a good book to create the most incredible crystal clear HD image ever. ;-)

What type of "pj" do you have--and what age and brand?

My Sony LCD Projector does not have strict 1080i (as I originally thought when I bought it), but some odd resolution of ? X 786 or something like that.

I am not very happy with the SD on the native setting, but if I changed the VOOm to 1080i, what should I expect to see and what setting on the tv should I then change to match it? (Wide, Normal, Zoom, etc).

Again, I have an LCD projection and imagine, if your PJ is a different process you would have a different outcome, but I am open to any suggestions and try-outs.

Thanks.

I have the equivelant of the Sanyo Z2 LCD 720P pj. If you want to watch SD in native mode, try using the mode on your pj that lets the signal through unaltered. On mine it's called "Through" and it puts the image up on the screen in the actual resolution of the signal, which is 720 x 480. Though reduced in size, the image quality goes way up since the signal is not zoomed or processed in any way.

My pj will not alter a 1080i signal, it just puts it up there and fills it to fit the screen vertically, so I have black bars on the sides. If I use native then I can use all the stretch/zoom modes, but I don't like any of them for SD.

I wish I had all those options on my SONY, but I can't find anything like that. I did change the VOOM resolution to 1080i and will see the difference in PQ--doesn't seem to have a "through" setting, but will keep looking.

DarrellP said:
I have the equivelant of the Sanyo Z2 LCD 720P pj. If you want to watch SD in native mode, try using the mode on your pj that lets the signal through unaltered. On mine it's called "Through" and it puts the image up on the screen in the actual resolution of the signal, which is 720 x 480. Though reduced in size, the image quality goes way up since the signal is not zoomed or processed in any way.

My pj will not alter a 1080i signal, it just puts it up there and fills it to fit the screen vertically, so I have black bars on the sides. If I use native then I can use all the stretch/zoom modes, but I don't like any of them for SD.

DarrellP,
In what mode are you watching SD from Dish. I have the Z2 and have been watching it in 1080I stretch, I do the same with Voom. Advise would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Wayne, generally, I don't watch SD on my pj, it's a waste of bulb time to me, but the very little that I do watch, I leave my Voom stb in 1080i and view via component so I cannot alter the image, I get a fullscreen top to bottom with side bars.

If the picture is too bad, I switch to my DVR and watch via it's component output at 480p then switch my pj to Through mode so I have a 1:1 pixel mapping of 720x480, resulting in a smaller image but it looks much better.

I hope that helps. I tried using S-Video for SD but it is just too damned ugly, I prefer the 480p output of my DVR. I use a component switch box to switch between Dish, Voom, DVR & DVHS deck.

DarrellP said:
Wayne, generally, I don't watch SD on my pj, it's a waste of bulb time to me, but the very little that I do watch, I leave my Voom stb in 1080i and view via component so I cannot alter the image, I get a fullscreen top to bottom with side bars.

If the picture is too bad, I switch to my DVR and watch via it's component output at 480p then switch my pj to Through mode so I have a 1:1 pixel mapping of 720x480, resulting in a smaller image but it looks much better.

I hope that helps. I tried using S-Video for SD but it is just too damned ugly, I prefer the 480p output of my DVR. I use a component switch box to switch between Dish, Voom, DVR & DVHS deck.

The only real SD that I watch on the Z2 is Comcast Sportsnet channel 424. Other than that it's DVD's and HD. Thanks for the reply.

From the many posts under "Harmonic Encoders" and other PQ threads, it seems SD PQ is all over the place, so I am still trying to figure out the best tweaking for the signal (SD) put out by these new Harmonic Encoders?

I have the SONY 42" WEGA 655 and still playing around with these variables (for SD channels only):

1) VOOM STB Resolution output: Native, 1080i, 720p, 480p or 480i.

2) Connection mode: DVI or Component

3) TV output mode: Normal (4:3), Wide, Wide Zoom, etc

4) Tweaking the SOny for the component output--such as Advanced Channel Programming (most are for 480i only):

a)Digital Reality Creation™ (DRC) Multifunction V1 Unlike conventional line doublers, the DRC Multifunction feature replaces the signal’s NTSC waveform with near-HD equivalent by digital mapping processing. The DRC Palette option lets you customize the level of detail (Reality--increasing makes the picture more detailed) and smoothness (Clarity--moving to right makes picture smoother) to create a customized picture that is optimized for signal quality, viewing conditions and personal preference.
So, Tweaking Reality and Clarity

b) CineMotion® using the reverse 3-2 pull down technology, the Cinemotion feature provides smoother picture movement when playing back movies or other video sources on film.

c) BN Smoother reduces the block noise caused by the digital video encoding and decoding process--Select from Off, Low, Med, High.

d) Color Corrector--can emphasize reds and blues.

e) 4:3 Settings--Normal, Off or? Over/Underscan--someone already suggested -1.

If any other Sony users with these functions (or others) can help try to optimize SD input, it would help clarify which PQ parameters are controllable by VOOM and which, by the Sony LCD Projector--which seems a very popular model, 42" and higher.

I played with the inputs last night while watching the NGC, History and Discovery Channels and had the Wide setting looking very good for SD PQ, but haven't checked other channels.

"bookwalk", I know your problem! You have to many "things" to adjust.

However, good luck. We had someone come over and calibrate our projector and the PQ improvement was amazing.

Enjoying HDTV under rainy (but snowless) Seattle skies, Gill

Is calibration part of the warranty? How is that done--just by the controls available to the user or is there some hidden manufacturer's settings somewhere?

On our Sim2Seleco projector a special code was needed...

bookwalk said:
Is calibration part of the warranty? How is that done--just by the controls available to the user or is there some hidden manufacturer's settings somewhere?

to access many of the settings. I suppose we could have gotten the code and done it ourselves-certainly some of the more technically minded on here have-but Mike brought special equipment which he used to measure the light intensity, gamma, color from dark to light scenes, etc. which is beyond us. If you check on AVSforum people over there have posted about special calibration DVDs you can buy and have a go at it for yourself.

We found the change for the better in PQ dramatic. Mike charges $250 which is on the low side as I think the charge is more like $300 normally. However, there is no question that the calibration was worth the money for us. Much more cost effective than buying a "new" projector which we can't afford. Oh yes, the vast majority of TVs be they CRTs or rear projectors are usually set way to "hot" and "bright" to grab your attention but details and color balance suffer.

Good luck.

Still enjoying HDTV even if it is again raining in Seattle, Gill

Out of Synch Voice and Picture

Hey Folks
I've noticed so many movies where the voice is out of synch with the picture. Is it my equipment or is there something I can do to fix

inkpump said:
Hey Folks
I've noticed so many movies where the voice is out of synch with the picture. Is it my equipment or is there something I can do to fix
I've seen this too... Try going up one channel and comming back or turning the box off and back on.. That sometimes works for me.. Although it is very annoying

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)