Status
Please reply by conversation.

ksmithtwn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
Canada
Hi folks,

I am wondering if it is possible to receive 8PSK signals with a Twinhan 1020a card.

I would like to receive NBC Weather Plus on AMC 1, and I noticed it was as follow:

12000 H | NBC Weather Plus | DVB - 8PSK | 28755-2/3

Do I need special codecs to receive this, or does this card over all not support this?

That is a function of the codec and not the card. The Conexant chip set on the card will do what the software tells it to do. 4.2.2 8PSK etc....

You sure about that satcom1? I also have a Twinhan 1025, but I have never gotten it to show me a single HD channel. (I only have dishes aimed at Dish Network satellites at present, so maybe it's their Turbo 8PSK that is to blame.)

Hi folks,

I am wondering if it is possible to receive 8PSK signals with a Twinhan 1020a card.

I would like to receive NBC Weather Plus on AMC 1, and I noticed it was as follow:

12000 H | NBC Weather Plus | DVB - 8PSK | 28755-2/3

Do I need special codecs to receive this, or does this card over all not support this?

The Twinhan 1020a will not be able to lock this signal. DVB-S2 cards will not be able to lock this signal either. The signal is DVB 8psk also known as 8psk Trellis. You would need a commercial receiver that does 8psk Trellis to receive it.

I'm rusty, but as best I remember:

Not all HiDef is 8psk.
So, getting HD on a Twinhan should be possible. - I have.

8psk has nothing to do with the codec.
Codecs have to do with mpeg4, mpeg2, 4:2:0, and 4:2:2

The card either does 8psk in hardware, or maybe turbo 8psk, or none of the above (older Twinhan cards)
As far as I know, the turbo is only used by Dish Network.
But, if you start talking turbo, you're likely going to get thrown off the forum. - :eek:

As for what the weather uses, I'm sure you can search and find out, but I wouldn't venture a guess.

I get hd 4.2.2 and dvbs-2 aswell as 8psk with my 1025, ProgDVB and elecard codecs. ITS THE CODECS!

Sorry to dissapoint, but there is no card on the market that can do 8psk at this time.

Looking at the specs of the twinhan 1025 it does NOT appear that it can demodulate dvb-s2, so perhaps you have a different card for s2 signals?

Code:
[B]QPSK & FEC[/B] • Symbol rate: 2~45 Msps 
           • Punctured Codes: 1/2,2/3,3/4,5/6,7/8 and Auto
Paul

I get hd 4.2.2 and dvbs-2 aswell as 8psk with my 1025, ProgDVB and elecard codecs. ITS THE CODECS!
Your SOFTWARE codecs might do H.264/MPEG-2 or 4.2.2, but
HARDWARE must hanlde DVB-S, DVB-S2, QPSK, 8PSK signaling and Turbo Code, Trellis Code, Viterbi RS FEC processing.

[Better not insist on your own mistake ;)]

I think some of the confusion is that DVB-s 8psk is a different animal from DVB-s2 8psk . The TT s2-3200 and s2-3600 do 8psk on DVB-s2 , but the specs on DVB-s DO NOT include 8psk modulation.

I think some of the confusion is that DVB-s 8psk is a different animal from DVB-s2 8psk . The TT s2-3200 and s2-3600 do 8psk on DVB-s2 , but the specs on DVB-s DO NOT include 8psk modulation.
Sorry, but before say something like that you must start reading DVB-S specs and do not post NONSENSE !

ETSI EN 300 468 468 V1.6.1 (2004-11), page 41, Table 38 of chapter 6.2.13.2 Satellite Delivery system descriptor, Modulation Scheme for satellite:
modulation bit 43210: 00010 - 8PSK

Sorry, but before say something like that you must start reading DVB-S specs and do not post NONSENSE !

ETSI EN 300 468 468 V1.6.1 (2004-11), page 41, Table 38 of chapter 6.2.13.2 Satellite Delivery system descriptor, Modulation Scheme for satellite:
modulation bit 43210: 00010 - 8PSK

The specs of the Technotrend s2-3200 and s2-3600 DO NOT include 8psk as an option in the DVB-S section. Sorry for YOUR confusion . I've been a tech for 30 years and I'm not confused. I could have been clearer, and you could have been more diplomatic.
:)

OK.

Anyway, DVB-S and DVB-S2 specs both includes 8PSK modulation. It's up to manufacturer make a card what will support QPSK, 8PSK or both.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)