Two 4 way splitters

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Danny001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Bangor, ME
I have a spare 4 way splitter can I cascade it with the one currently in use to give me more outs if so what will the wiring look like

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

A 4 way on a 4 way gives you the equivalent of a 16 way split on the outputs from the second splitter, which is more than the 8 ways that DirecTV recommend, and might not work depending on the length of your cable runs. You can always try it, make sure any long runs are on the three spare outputs of the "first" splitter not on the outputs from the second.

Here is a photo of what I have.. I'm not sure I follow your response. Can I run a short coax connecting the two switches giving me a total of 7 outs ?

Attachments

• 1422475503820.jpg
    1422475503820.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 133
cable runs are no longer than 20 feet from switch to receiver and about 50 feet from dish to power

Here is a photo of what I have.. I'm not sure I follow your response. Can I run a short coax connecting the two switches giving me a total of 7 outs ?

Yes, you can try it, with the caveats I mentioned. With those run lengths it should be fine.

A 4 way on a 4 way gives you the equivalent of a 16 way split on the outputs from the second splitter, which is more than the 8 ways that DirecTV recommend, and might not work depending on the length of your cable runs. You can always try it, make sure any long runs are on the three spare outputs of the "first" splitter not on the outputs from the second.

do u Mean this allows me to have 16 tuners ?

do u Mean this allows me to have 16 tuners ?

No, the splitters have nothing to do with the number of tuners, only the number of connections. If you have a regular SWM LNB, that will support 8 tuners. An SWM multiswitch either 8 or 16 tuners depending on model. And with the new SWM13 LNB, 13 tuners.

In this case since the cables runs are all in the same location, it is better to have one 8 way instead of (2) 4 ways, specially if you are running a WHDVR set up.

In this case since the cables runs are all in the same location, it is better to have one 8 way instead of (2) 4 ways, specially if you are running a WHDVR set up.

I think the 2 ways are 2.5 DB loss, the 4 ways are 7db and the 8 ways are 10db.

Either way I think you are within 2 db loss, which should not make a difference

Status
Please reply by conversation.